Pat Diveney help

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all, I have talked to Pat on FB about making me a cue and his current time and all fits what I’m looking for as well as his cues as they show he’s top notch it seems. I guess I’m just looking for reinsurance that he is as good as he seems and to hear from those of you that own his cues or have in the past. I guess as some of you may remember my past issues getting a cue built have been pretty bad so I’m hoping this could be what I want. How does his cues shoot? His price and time seem awesome so does he generally hit his estimates?

I know this will give me away if he reads the board but I’m getting a cue built similar to the Judd JT-1 that is well known to us Efren fans but I’m going with the ebony one instead of the famous cocobolo one Efren used. Can some of y’all maybe post his rings you’ve seen him do over the years? I’m hoping to stay pretty plain on them but I’m also up for anything he has done before.

Thanks in advance as I’m leaving for New Jersey in the morning as we’re setting around and waiting on that Nor’Easter so we can cut the lights back on if they go out so I figured I would post this and remember to check it during the week so if I’m late answering a post please bear with me!

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Pat's cues finish and designs are top notch, all around great guy to talk with and has many years experience behind his work. I personally really loved the sneaky pete I owned on the second hand market and enjoyed many other I have shot with. On the other hand I have not enjoyed some half spliced cue's and Janes I have shot with made by him. The reason being is I like a medium stiff to stiff hitting cue ( though this is biassed and subjective ) His cues in my honest opinion have a softer hit with a bit of whip, with his sneaky full spliced cues having a bit more stiffness to them with more feel ( I like. ) . I hope this can help you with feedback, in the long run you will have to make the decision for yourself and try one out, either way I think you have made a great decision on the jump to try out a PD cue and sure you will be happy with the finish and experience.

-Drew

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello all, I have talked to Pat on FB about making me a cue and his current time and all fits what I’m looking for as well as his cues as they show he’s top notch it seems. I guess I’m just looking for reinsurance that he is as good as he seems and to hear from those of you that own his cues or have in the past. I guess as some of you may remember my past issues getting a cue built have been pretty bad so I’m hoping this could be what I want. How does his cues shoot? His price and time seem awesome so does he generally hit his estimates?

I know this will give me away if he reads the board but I’m getting a cue built similar to the Judd JT-1 that is well known to us Efren fans but I’m going with the ebony one instead of the famous cocobolo one Efren used. Can some of y’all maybe post his rings you’ve seen him do over the years? I’m hoping to stay pretty plain on them but I’m also up for anything he has done before.

Thanks in advance as I’m leaving for New Jersey in the morning as we’re setting around and waiting on that Nor’Easter so we can cut the lights back on if they go out so I figured I would post this and remember to check it during the week so if I’m late answering a post please bear with me!
You made the perfect choice.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat is the man!

In 2012 Pat made me a Custom Ebony Hustler with a few small ivory inlets and a cocobolo Bar Hustler. I have 2 of his Lake Salvage shafts and a Kiel wood LD shaft for them. Shafts are 31 inches and the butts are 30 inches.

He also made me and ebony break/jump with a 31 inch Lake Salvage shaft. In 2015 I left Alaska on a big 22 state road trip and stopped by his shop since I was visiting Iowa relatives. He is the real deal, honest as they come, a great cue maker and does what he says he will do.

I never rush a cue maker or a gun smith, but Pat's time frames are reasonable. I have no reason to look further for a cue maker. He is a good man and used to be a cabinet maker.

Van Boening, Biado, and several others used Diveney cues before they moved on to more lucrative sponsors. Bergman was and may still be using Pat's Kiel Wood shaft. I love his shafts.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat's son Danny is quickly becoming a master-builder himself. Great cues from really nice folks. If you want to see their stuff they are usually at the Midwest event in Olathe. Next one is Nov.15-18. Last time they brought some cues made with Rounceville fs blanks that were just awesome.

Last edited:

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I ordered a cue from scratch via telephone with Pat two years ago. It was basically everything I expected it to be with none of the horror stories that get told on here. It did take about two months longer than advertised as his inlay machine was not functioning correctly, so besides waiting on that to get fixed everything was easy. He's a normal guy, doesn't necessarily like to shoot the breeze but will answer all the questions you have.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a cue from scratch via telephone with Pat two years ago. It was basically everything I expected it to be with none of the horror stories that get told on here. It did take about two months longer than advertised as his inlay machine was not functioning correctly, so besides waiting on that to get fixed everything was easy. He's a normal guy, doesn't necessarily like to shoot the breeze but will answer all the questions you have.
Little secret: Pat is a big BBQ fan. If i see him at event that's always a good conv. starter. ;)

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a cue from Pat at the DCC in January, he said delivery would take 4-6 months. I received the cue on June 7th. Well within the time frame he quoted. I've ordered shafts from him before and he has always did what he said he would do. I would highly recommend him.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Skyler Woodward used and loved his Diveney cue until he got sponsored by Meucci.

I keep a pretty close ear to the ground on cuemakers and I haven't heard anything negative concerning him.

It just sucks that a few bad cue makers cast a shadow on the entire lot.

Ken

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just sucks that a few bad cue makers cast a shadow on the entire lot.

Ken

Yea man I had a horrible time with the Jim Lee situation years ago and even though he made up for it, I still didn't have a finished cue. So I took it to a local guy and he's had it almost 3 years now and it's STILL not done. So I was going to holler at Judd & Trudy Fuller to get one and of course he passed away before I could do so. So since I've all but given up on my other cue (even though all it needs is to put finish on it and a pin put in and both shafts done) so I figured I liked Pat's price and timeline and seeing his cues just made me decide to definitely go with him after I read all the replies here as well. I don't mind waiting a couple of months as it has no inlays, and the only thing I haven't decided on was the rings and after that it's up to Pat to finish.

Thanks again everyone for giving me your input with him!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dammit! Maybe it is you!

Hahahaha?

Yea man I had a horrible time with the Jim Lee situation years ago and even though he made up for it, I still didn't have a finished cue. So I took it to a local guy and he's had it almost 3 years now and it's STILL not done. So I was going to holler at Judd & Trudy Fuller to get one and of course he passed away before I could do so. So since I've all but given up on my other cue (even though all it needs is to put finish on it and a pin put in and both shafts done) so I figured I liked Pat's price and timeline and seeing his cues just made me decide to definitely go with him after I read all the replies here as well. I don't mind waiting a couple of months as it has no inlays, and the only thing I haven't decided on was the rings and after that it's up to Pat to finish.

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
pat d

Pat is as straight up as they come. His son danny is also. Both of these guys will go above and beyond what you would expect someone to do for a customer.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No worries with Pat.

I ordered a cue from him 6 years ago with zero issues and I have sent my cue back since for work. Great customer service and fast work.

If all cue makers appreciated their customers like Pat does they would have more business than could handle.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tell Pat about all this good BBQ we have here. Who is the local cue guy? Is he in B'ham?