Logan lathe 935-2

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Built in 1953. Owner calling it a 936 but cannot find that listed. I believe it to be the 935-2 pedestal model. 11x36. I am not going to taper on it so length not an issue. Not the heaviest machine but very well tooled. Private owner refurbished. 6 hrs from me so I have to be trusting as far as condition. Parts available a plus. Drawbacks to Logan's ? Long drive hope it is what he says. Any advice appreciated. Thanks......Kyle

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Built in 1953. Owner calling it a 936 but cannot find that listed. I believe it to be the 935-2 pedestal model. 11x36. I am not going to taper on it so length not an issue. Not the heaviest machine but very well tooled. Private owner refurbished. 6 hrs from me so I have to be trusting as far as condition. Parts available a plus. Drawbacks to Logan's ? Long drive hope it is what he says. Any advice appreciated. Thanks......Kyle

Make sure the hole through the headstock is at least 1 3/8.

Dick

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It appears to be Dick. That was my first question. He was at work when we talked. Will check when he gets home.

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks KJ. That is the table that I had looked at for the 936 model and it does not list one. Pics look to be 1 3/8" spindle. But not finding model number is throwing me. Model # is not legible in pics. He should be able to clear things up as to model # and spindle bore. I should have drove 11 hrs one way and bought yours...........Kyle

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
The Logan is a decent CM's lathe, Sey has it now.
I still have the SB Hvy-10 'For Sale' for anyone still looking.
Sey didn't need two.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks KJ. That is the table that I had looked at for the 936 model and it does not list one. Pics look to be 1 3/8" spindle. But not finding model number is throwing me. Model # is not legible in pics. He should be able to clear things up as to model # and spindle bore. I should have drove 11 hrs one way and bought yours...........Kyle

Did you read the part that said FLAT BELT???

Dale

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with a flat belt for cue making. I have a flat belt Logan and heavy ten. Love them both.

Larry

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
A flat-belt drive is acceptable for cuemaking.
It's not like we routinely take a .060" cut in stainless.
The drawback is not the belt itself but rather the coupling.
Over-center tensioners tend to stretch the anchoring of the coupling.
Adjust the belt tension without stretching and it will last forever.
Or close to that.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I wish I could afford the Logan and the heavy 10 like Larry :smile:

I am cheap! Chances are, I have less in both mine than the seller wants for the Logan you are looking at. One reason I got the heavy ten was because it was a flat belt, dirty and a buddy deal!

Good luck!

Larry

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did Dale. From what I have read it is not preferred but is it a reason to avoid the lathe for cue building?

That is up to you, of course, but if this your first and/or only lathe it is not as
convenient as a grooved pulley version.

IMHO - Unless this the deal of a lifetime, and it doesn't sound like it is,
I would look longer and harder for one with grooves.

YMMV

Dale

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is up to you, of course, but if this your first and/or only lathe it is not as
convenient as a grooved pulley version.

IMHO - Unless this the deal of a lifetime, and it doesn't sound like it is,
I would look longer and harder for one with grooves.

YMMV

Dale

Thank you for the advice..........Kyle