Catching a Fish Too Big for the Boat

matta

Cue Snob
Silver Member
You ever gamble with some one only to find out later you just played a world beater?

I'd also like some clarification. Maybe some one here can confirm that this guy really was in my area at the time. I never got a definite confirmation that this is who I played but I'm pretty sure.

Anyhow, here it goes:
This happened in late '01 or early '02 if I am not mistaken.

I get a call from our local hole in the wall in Byram, MS. Dustin, a friend of mine is on the line ranting and raving about some action in the bar, "I'll back it, get your ass here!"

I get there at about 5pm and the bar is near empty except the owner, my buddy, and two guys I don't know. One of them is this younger man, late 20's but he's huge. A gigantic fat guy. He's got some older, silver haired man with him.

The big guy is introduced as "Danny", no last name. I think the older gentleman was introduced as Jimmy, "Danny's uncle from Alabama." So off we go to one of the bar tables (no big tables in this dive bar). Race to 9 for $200.

This is not bragging. I can't do this every day. There was some luck involved for sure! I win the coin toss and proceed to break and run the first 7 games. It's 7-0 when Danny gets his first shot. We battle a handful of more games and I come out winner on the first set.

My buddy is beside himself. "Get'em Get'em!" Haha. At this point I'm sure this guy is going to pull up and we're gonna have $200 to blow on booze for the evening.

Without batting an eyelash, "Call it!", as the big man flips the coin.

You know what I do when some one breaks and runs 7? I pull up and go home. There are easier fish to fry. When it didn't phase this guy one bit, I knew I was in trouble.

The next set was quite different. He proceeds to DEMOLISH me. This guy broke like nothing I'd ever seen at the time. He had a McReady'esque side stroke on his break shot. He was bouncing the cue off the rack into the air. Squatting it perfect. Running out from EVERY WHERE.

Dustin, my backer, is still gung ho! "You got him!" "Dustin, did we just watch the same set? Did you watch this guy play?!?!" Begrudgingly, I convince Dustin that we'd be better off going out drinking than playing this guy. He wasn't happy about it but we pulled up.

A few weeks later I'm on here (this site has been around a long time) and I see a post, "My Favorite Hustler" or something of that sort. I open the thread and I'll be damned if there isn't a picture of my Danny.

The picture was listed as "Danny Basavich aka Kid Delicious."

So, a lucky run and knowing when to quit saved us a bundle, I'm sure.

Does anyone know any details about Basavich's travels? Mississippi sure seems like a long way from NJ for some bar table action. Haha. I could see him coming to MS to play Lil John, perhaps.

He was amazing on that bar table. Maybe one day he can rise back to the top again.

matta

Last edited:

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
The best example of this is that I can come up with is the time that a guy came through Athens that nobody knew. He was a darkskin guy of asian descent with a hat and he was travelling with a couple of guys that were at a tourney in SC a few weeks prior to that. I played gin for $20 a game with one of the guys.

Long story short, they were looking for a game and there was a tourney in Athens that weekend. We put Mike Gulyassy in the box against the guy for a $500 set. The guy wins and basically runs out from every where. It was the DUMBEST thing I've ever seen. He could have played Jim Jennings or Matt B. (Muttley) for a couple of hundred, then moved to Gulyassy, then moved to Bruce Berrong, Tony Watson, and Stevie Moore. He could have gotte a spot from the last 3 and then moved to even and eventually gave them a spot.

It was without a doubt the worst moving Ive ever seen in a pool room. They could have busted Athens for 20 to 30 thousand, but they won $500, lmao.

Oh, yeah, by the way, the guy was Ronnie Alcano and just had came to the U.S.

Last edited:

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You ever gamble with some one only to find out later you just played a world beater?

I'd also like some clarification. Maybe some one here can confirm that this guy really was in my area at the time. I never got a definite confirmation that this is who I played but I'm pretty sure.

Anyhow, here it goes:

I get a call from our local hole in the wall in Byram, MS. Dustin, a friend of mine is on the line ranting and raving about some action in the bar, "I'll back it, get your ass here!"

I get there at about 5pm and the bar is near empty except the owner, my buddy, and two guys I don't know. One of them is this younger man, late 20's but he's huge. A gigantic fat guy. He's got some older, silver haired man with him.

The big guy is introduced as "Danny", no last name. I think the older gentleman was introduced as Jimmy, "Danny's uncle from Alabama." So off we go to one of the bar tables (no big tables in this dive bar). Race to 9 for $200.

This is not bragging. I can't do this every day. There was some luck involved for sure! I win the coin toss and proceed to break and run the first 7 games. It's 7-0 when Danny gets his first shot. We battle a handful of more games and I come out winner on the first set.

My buddy is beside himself. "Get'em Get'em!" Haha. At this point I'm sure this guy is going to pull up and we're gonna have $200 to blow on booze for the evening.

Without batting and eyelash, "Call it!", as the big man flips the coin.

You know what I do when some one breaks and runs 7? I pull up and go home. There are easier fish to fry. When it didn't phase this guy one bit, I knew I was in trouble.

The next set was quite different. He proceeds to DEMOLISH me. This guy broke like nothing I'd ever seen at the time. He had a McReady'esque side stroke on his break shot. He was bouncing the cue off the rack into the air. Squatting it perfect. Running out from EVERY WHERE.

Dustin, my backer, is still gung ho! "You got him!" "Dustin, did we just watch the same set? Did you watch this guy play?!?!" Begrudgingly, I convince Dustin that we'd be better off going out drinking than playing this guy. He wasn't happy about it but we pulled up.

A few weeks later I'm on here (this site has been around a long time) and I see a post, "My Favorite Hustler" or something of that sort. I open the thread and I'll be damned if there isn't a picture of my Danny.

Does anyone know any details about Basavich's travels? Mississippi sure seems like a long way from NJ for some bar table action. Haha. I could see him coming to MS to play Lil John, perhaps.

He was amazing on that bar table. Maybe one day he can rise back to the top again.

matta

I been all over Mississippi in the last 2 months and will tell you he mad a pretty penny when he was down there....

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
About 3 years ago, as a C- player, I played Brandon Shuff in a tournament without knowing who he was. He beat me pretty bad, but at least all I lost was my tournament entry (which was cheap).

-Andrew

Matt Stockman

give me the 7 & a whiskey
Silver Member
I remember reading in Danny's book "running the table" that he was down in that area during the time you mentioned. You were probably part of his mission to drum up a sufficient bank roll to play little John. Way to keep from getting trimmed though! :thumbup:

BtW: You also make a fantastic cue! Ive been playing with one of your cues for almost 2 years now. Its the nuts!!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
good move!

matta

Good story and good judgment pulling up! I remember a partner arguing with me all the way home after I pulled up telling me I could have made a big score. I was 99% getting pounded and a few lucky rolls had me scraping out wins. I knew the luck couldn't last all evening and skill was gonna carry the day eventually. Definitely quit ahead that time and was worn out when I did it. I knew I had to play 100% to even stay close. I capitalized on a couple of mistakes but I knew who the better player was.

I once played a world beater back in the old days. It took me years to find out who he was. Ignorance and home field advantage were both big helps to me.

Hu

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
back about 73 i was coming back from mardi grais with a friend and we decided to visit his brother who lived in birmingham at the time.

after being there for a day i found a common area in the condos that had 9' brunswick. so i went in to knock em around a bit and an older guy comes in and asks to play.

says his name is bill and he is just visiting his daughter for a couple of days. we play some cheap banks for a couple hours (about all i could afford as i just came from N.O.) and i was staying just ahead.

somewhere around the 3rd or 4th hour he ties it up and want to jack it up. now i don't have what he wants to play for and tell him, and he says "well son that's a nice looking stick you got there it's probibly worth 20-25 bucks you can put that up too". (josswest)

now i've never played for my stick and wasn't about to, so i pulled up.

i find out a few years after bill was billy burge (cornbread red).

M.C.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Anyhow, here it goes:

Without batting an eyelash, "Call it!", as the big man flips the coin.

matta

Nice story. :smile:

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
I've spent a good part of my last three years in pool rooms in the south side of Chicago. I read Danny's book "Running the Table" after I got it as a Christmas present in 2007, I believe. I got the hardcover edition with the nifty photos in the middle. Anyway, a year passes, and I've since moved from one home pool hall to another, so I'm meeting a whole new group of people. While there, I meet this kid Josh Smith. He's a year younger than me, but I'll be damned if he didn't shoot good for his age. I wish I saw more of him when I was just beginning to play, because he would've driven me to want to beat him with each passing day. I start to hear more about him through other people, about how his dad Greg used to take him to halls day in and day out and let little Josh do his own thing.

I think I knew all of this for a good half-year before I started re-reading the book and made the connection. Josh Smith... Greg Smith? From Chicago? From the book? Naw, can't be... Sure enough, I look up the photo in the book, and there Josh's dad, hovering over a table on a phone.

I can't believe it didn't click sooner :p

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack Hynes

I remember years ago...I had a lil bar & restaurant...I ran it for bout 5 years then got married & started leasing it out...this 1 guy named lane that i was leasing it to called me & said he was down like $60 dollars to this guy playing $5 dollars a game & said come to the bar..I'll stake you for up to $500 a set..I KNOW U CAN BEAT THIS GUY !!!! I say to him give me a hour to a hour n a half that I couldn't go just quite yet...He obviously told jack that he had somebody coming over to play him in a a bit...it was still in the afternoon..I finally get there...it's about 6:eek:opm n i walk in with my cue...The look on Jack's face was priceless....when the bells on the door jingled & the door flew open..his 1st impression was sheer delight..then his face turned to a frown when I busted out & started laughing..I told Lane aint nobody in Houma can beat this guy even with a hefty spot...little did lane know that I was the 1 who went get Jack from New Orleans to put on a few guys...I wound up winning about 15k with jack...but he thought he had a sucker on the way that day...nobody knew he was in town but me n a few i had told...Jack was just hitting the lil bars n strip clubs till i got him in on Dalton in the wheelchair.

Worst_7_ever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've spent a good part of my last three years in pool rooms in the south side of Chicago. I read Danny's book "Running the Table" after I got it as a Christmas present in 2007, I believe. I got the hardcover edition with the nifty photos in the middle. Anyway, a year passes, and I've since moved from one home pool hall to another, so I'm meeting a whole new group of people. While there, I meet this kid Josh Smith. He's a year younger than me, but I'll be damned if he didn't shoot good for his age. I wish I saw more of him when I was just beginning to play, because he would've driven me to want to beat him with each passing day. I start to hear more about him through other people, about how his dad Greg used to take him to halls day in and day out and let little Josh do his own thing.

I think I knew all of this for a good half-year before I started re-reading the book and made the connection. Josh Smith... Greg Smith? From Chicago? From the book? Naw, can't be... Sure enough, I look up the photo in the book, and there Josh's dad, hovering over a table on a phone.

I can't believe it didn't click sooner :p

You should have seen Josh when he was 15 and looked all of 12 years old...He was an 7(apa) caliber player back then, now that hes 21 he's known around here very well. Last I saw he was playing as an APA 5 - LOL, gotta love the APA

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best example of this is that I can come up with is the time that a guy came through Athens that nobody knew. He was a darkskin guy of asian descent with a hat and he was travelling with a couple of guys that were at a tourney in SC a few weeks prior to that. I played gin for $20 a game with one of the guys.

Long story short, they were looking for a game and there was a tourney in Athens that weekend. We put Mike Gulyassy in the box against the guy for a $500 set. The guy wins and basically runs out from every where. It was the DUMBEST thing I've ever seen. He could have played Jim Jennings or Matt B. (Muttley) for a couple of hundred, then moved to Gulyassy, then moved to Bruce Berrong, Tony Watson, and Stevie Moore. He could have gotte a spot from the last 3 and then moved to even and eventually gave them a spot.

It was without a doubt the worst moving Ive ever seen in a pool room. They could have busted Athens for 20 to 30 thousand, but they won $500, lmao.

Oh, yeah, by the way, the guy was Ronnie Alcano and just had came to the U.S.

They must have thought that you guys would get a line on him fast or something.
Dumping a set to Mike might have been the best move.

Roberto Gomez was just out here in LA and 9 out of 10 players wouldnt have recognized him even with a picture. I was suurprised he didnt make the rounds. Of course people are a little Pinoy gunshy.

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
They must have thought that you guys would get a line on him fast or something.
Dumping a set to Mike might have been the best move.

Roberto Gomez was just out here in LA and 9 out of 10 players wouldnt have recognized him even with a picture. I was suurprised he didnt make the rounds. Of course people are a little Pinoy gunshy.

I actually offered to play the guy for $400, and he declined. Maybe the best line ever is when he said he was from Connecticut, and Big Nasty tells him "I will give you $100 if you can SPELL Connecticut" lol

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually offered to play the guy for $400, and he declined. Maybe the best line ever is when he said he was from Connecticut, and Big Nasty tells him "I will give you $100 if you can SPELL Connecticut" lol

Now that's good stuff! He said that to Alcano?

mmwtdh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years back, word got around town that the local shortstop had hooked up with some big guy and there was hot pool shooting going on.

We sweated the match all weekend and wouldn't you know it the out-of-towner was shooting great and getting very lucky. He was just barely winning every race. :D

Well about a year later, my Sports Illustrated landed and when I opened it and saw that smiling, friendly face and an article about Kid Delicious, I laughed out loud.

Not only was his weekend here profitable, it made the SI article........

Along the way they discovered that their game's iffy reputation is at odds with reality. There is a dignity, a sense of honor among players: You lose, you pay up. Delicious claims he once beat a sucker out of $6,300 in Jefferson City, Mo., and the mark had to pay part of his debt with a personal check. Delicious had been taught to accept only cash, but he took the check and it cleared, no problem.