Cleaning wax off of slate

GoldenBreak

AZB Addict
I just bought a used table where the last mechanic used an excessive amount of beeswax. It's everywhere, not just the seams. What is the best method for completely removing wax without damaging the surface of the slate?

Thanks in advance.

JZMechanix

Silver Member
It should come off easily with a good scraper or sometimes I'll use a 1.5" wood chisel. If theres some covering any screws just dig it out with a screwdriver.

dkindig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to Home Depot and get some Goof Off. You'll find it in the solvents section.

Scrape off the excess wax. Take a torch and GENTLY heat the waxed areas until it melts and wipe off the melted wax with a paper towel. Try and keep the paper towel out of the way of the torch (ask me how I know this). :D

Once you've wiped off what you can (nothing liquifies anymore when you heat it), use one of those green scrubby pads and Goof Off to remove the remainder. Presto! New slate!

Last edited:

GoldenBreak

AZB Addict
Thank you.

Go to Home Depot and get some Goof Off. You'll find it in the solvents section.

Scrape off the excess wax. Take a torch and GENTLY heat the waxed areas until it melts and wipe off the melted wax with a paper towel. Try and keep the paper towel out of the way of the torch (ask me how I know this). :D

Once you've wiped off what you can (nothing liquifies anymore when you heat it), use a scrubby pad and Goof Off to remove the remainder. Presto! New slate!

Thanks for the info dkindig. :smile:

I'll do my best to keep the paper towels flame-free! :lmao:

dkindig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A razor blade sticker scraper will do just fine.

I think he was asking how to COMPLETELY remove the wax. I used bondo to finish the seams on my table because of a large blowout at one of the seams, and the method I described accomplished it in such a way that the bondo didn't have any problems adhering to the slate...

GoldenBreak

AZB Addict
Exactly

I think he was asking how to COMPLETELY remove the wax. I used bondo to finish the seams on my table because of a large blowout at one of the seams, and the method I described accomplished it in such a way that the bondo didn't have any problems adhering to the slate...

dkindig,

You're exactly right. I am going to be trying the super glue / bondo technique and need the wax completely gone to ensure good adhering.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
dkindig,

You're exactly right. I am going to be trying the super glue / bondo technique and need the wax completely gone to ensure good adhering.

In that case... yes, definetly

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
dkindig,

Lacquer thinner will dissolve the wax completely. Just remember to use a clean absorbent cloth and flip the cloth frequently.

Jay

sausage

Banned
Lacquer thinner will dissolve the wax completely. Just remember to use a clean absorbent cloth and flip the cloth frequently.

Jay

also remember that lacquer thinner is toxic stuff. wear gloves and a paint spray mask and do the job when you can open the windows with a breeze.

GoldenBreak

AZB Addict
Windows

also remember that lacquer thinner is toxic stuff. wear gloves and a paint spray mask and do the job when you can open the windows with a breeze.

I am planning on cleaning the slate this weekend. They are in my basement, so I will be sure to open all the windows and use a window fan as well as a mask to avoid one of these ----> :thud:

OTLB

Banned
Great point. Be safe.
Can you imagine doing that in the winter at a customers home. If it wasn't for the smell of glue I would be ALL for it. Smells of this nature are a huge problem for my customer base and they for the most part object. Sort of hard to tell someone that's it's safe while you have a respirator on. Good Post

millertimeia

Registered
remove beez wax

go to any home harware or home depot and buy lacker thinner its the best thing to use sure it stinks a lil bit but it absorbs fast and works alot better then gof off.
I just bought a used table where the last mechanic used an excessive amount of beeswax. It's everywhere, not just the seams. What is the best method for completely removing wax without damaging the surface of the slate?

Thanks in advance.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Great point. Be safe.
Can you imagine doing that in the winter at a customers home. If it wasn't for the smell of glue I would be ALL for it. Smells of this nature are a huge problem for my customer base and they for the most part object. Sort of hard to tell someone that's it's safe while you have a respirator on. Good Post

hmmm, so you've tried using glue in the past, the customers complained, and therefore you went back to using staples...is that right? In 26 years I've never had a request from one customer to NOT use glue:D but who knows about you NORTH EASTERN people:grin:

Glen

OTLB

Banned
hmmm, so you've tried using glue in the past, the customers complained, and therefore you went back to using staples...is that right? In 26 years I've never had a request from one customer to NOT use glue:D but who knows about you NORTH EASTERN people:grin:

Glen

spray glue I use on cheap tables if needed but not your glue, nope have not done it a customers house of mine. Today I moved and set this table up in Greenwich CT. If I had there house smelling today or opened all the windows etc I would never see them again. I don't even have to ask them. But they pay very well. Glen your out setting up Diamonds with glue all the time, they make a great table right, so your talented in setting them up. You have a new product, I work with alot of antiques which are typically in very expensive homes. Many people even in fact ask for tac's not tac strips. So you are correct they are dif.

Attachments

• MVC-094F.JPG
    MVC-094F.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 252

LCCS

Silver Member
Glue

John, How do you take care of old rubber, that needs to be replaced? Your still going to have the glue smell?:thumbup:

OTLB

Banned
yes but I do it all in my shop. I have great ventilation in the winter and in the summer I do it outside with a fan and on a dry day not like today as it is here. My radious of normal customers is only 75 miles. Extra trips are no concern because I gang them with existing jobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine

Last edited: