RKC Mechanics Seminar

Dartman

Silver Member
There are approximately 30 people in attendence.

The first day included Jay (A1Billiards) giving instruction on dealing with GC rail problems and frame work.

Glen demonstrated slate leveling and installed an 860 bed cloth using his stretch and glue technique.
Suffice to say that people were like "wow" that saw this live for the first time.
I'm sure some people have reconsidered using staples.

I saw many attendees sharing information with others. This is one of the top benefits when a group of craftspeople come together.

Day 2 will include recovering rails and then getting all the tables slated and covered.

Special thanks to Felice from Simonis for making a great lunch with plenty to go around.

GoldenBreak

AZB Addict
Thanks Dartman

Thanks for the update!

I'm not a mechanic, just a player who recently bought my own table and wants to do my own work. I wish I could be there to learn a thing or two from the pros. I guess I'll have wait to hear what everyone learns at the seminar. By the way, Dartman, any talk of Glen unveiling his DVD's this weekend?

Keith

Dartman

Silver Member
Thanks for the update!

I'm not a mechanic, just a player who recently bought my own table and wants to do my own work. I wish I could be there to learn a thing or two from the pros. I guess I'll have wait to hear what everyone learns at the seminar. By the way, Dartman, any talk of Glen unveiling his DVD's this weekend?

Keith

He mentioned the DVD Keith but not a release date or if it was completed.

LCCS

Silver Member
Seminar

When i looked around the room, I counted forty five people. Everything is going good and there is alot to learn. I think everybody picked up tips. If it was just Pats glue board to Glens slate straps and my plumber strap for Tuxedo pockets.LOL Other tools and helpful information, I think everbody has walked away with something to make there job easier.
The thing i liked the most, is the mechanics coming together and everybody helping each other. Everybody was borrowing tools and there was alot of respect in the room.
At one point shortly after i counted forty five peolpe in the room, I asked if anybody could level any of the slates with out filler. No one raised there hand and there were alot of laughs. I was hoping somebody could show me this. Oh well.
Thanks to Glen and Simonis for making this history. Lets keep it up and hopefully Glen can do it in other areas to make it closer for other MECHANICS.
I will post pis soon.
Ron:thumbup:

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to thank all the attendee's that helped me a lonely aspiring table mechanic! I say aspiring because I have always took pride in doing all my tables work. I love Billiards and all related and what better field to get into then something you love....maybe I should focus on my game every now and then too....:rolleyes:

I had an idea that I never had a chance to approach the organizers; I wanted all the persons there that were associated/or members of AZ to give there "user names" so we could all put a names to the faces. I meta few of you, but so many mechanics and not enough time plus we were all so busy. I also was thinking it would be cool to have the mods of AZ to give all those persons some sort of symbol to give recognition so all that see it know what it means; like a gold star or something next to you user name. What do you guys think?

I wished I could have stayed they whole 2nd day but "honey do lists" calls and the wife missed her main squeeze; what can I say boys! :cool:

I have only one issue holding me back from doing part time gigs as a mech and that is experience. I am "hella handy" and have enough tools to start in the business and will certainly invest in what is needed. I just need more exposure. If anyone is ever in the South Eastern WI area and would like the assistance of a hard working man who would like to learn all he can on tables I will volunteer my time provided I am available.

Also does anyone know if any literature is going to be provided to all those who attended. Like the places we will eventually be able to purchase the Scotch Weld used? Also if any drawn up instructions on certain things we learned will be available?

LCCS

Silver Member
questions

I wanted to thank all the attendee's that helped me a lonely aspiring table mechanic! I say aspiring because I have always took pride in doing all my tables work. I love Billiards and all related and what better field to get into then something you love....maybe I should focus on my game every now and then too....:rolleyes:

I had an idea that I never had a chance to approach the organizers; I wanted all the persons there that were associated/or members of AZ to give there "user names" so we could all put a names to the faces. I meta few of you, but so many mechanics and not enough time plus we were all so busy. I also was thinking it would be cool to have the mods of AZ to give all those persons some sort of symbol to give recognition so all that see it know what it means; like a gold star or something next to you user name. What do you guys think?

I wished I could have stayed they whole 2nd day but "honey do lists" calls and the wife missed her main squeeze; what can I say boys! :cool:

I have only one issue holding me back from doing part time gigs as a mech and that is experience. I am "hella handy" and have enough tools to start in the business and will certainly invest in what is needed. I just need more exposure. If anyone is ever in the South Eastern WI area and would like the assistance of a hard working man who would like to learn all he can on tables I will volunteer my time provided I am available.

Also does anyone know if any literature is going to be provided to all those who attended. Like the places we will eventually be able to purchase the Scotch Weld used? Also if any drawn up instructions on certain things we learned will be available?
Just put some 1/4'' facings on that table and you will end up with nice pockets. Just kidding. You could always go with an 1/8'' facing and make them bigger. Good questions and i think we all learned something.
Ron;)

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Just wanted to add that it was a pleasure meeting, working, & sharing with everyone. Thanks again to Glen, Jay and the folks from Simonis for a great time!:thumbup:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just put some 1/4'' facings on that table and you will end up with nice pockets. Just kidding. You could always go with an 1/8'' facing and make them bigger. Good questions and i think we all learned something.
Ron;)

I had a nice conversation w/ Glen on the phone before I saw him in Alsip. He recommended some ways to make the pockets more Diamond like, or should I say less Olhausen like. He said get the Diamond 1/4" facing and using a sanding disc made for table saws sold at sears. He recommended changing my pocket angles slightly downward and opening the throat some. The thicker facing alone will hopefully stiffen up the rebound caused by the soft Accu-fast cushions.

LCCS

Silver Member
Facings

I had a nice conversation w/ Glen on the phone before I saw him in Alsip. He recommended some ways to make the pockets more Diamond like, or should I say less Olhausen like. He said get the Diamond 1/4" facing and using a sanding disc made for table saws sold at sears. He recommended changing my pocket angles slightly downward and opening the throat some. The thicker facing alone will hopefully stiffen up the rebound caused by the soft Accu-fast cushions.
Yes, I had the pleasure talking and going over this with Glen. Now i know why he was showing me this? I thought it was strange.
Thaks, Ron

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Sounds like a successful venture. Congratulations to Glen! :groucho:

Now... the DVD and the stair climber!!!!

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
When i looked around the room, I counted forty five people. Everything is going good and there is alot to learn. I think everybody picked up tips. If it was just Pats glue board to Glens slate straps and my plumber strap for Tuxedo pockets.LOL Other tools and helpful information, I think everbody has walked away with something to make there job easier.
The thing i liked the most, is the mechanics coming together and everybody helping each other. Everybody was borrowing tools and there was alot of respect in the room.
At one point shortly after i counted forty five peolpe in the room, I asked if anybody could level any of the slates with out filler. No one raised there hand and there were alot of laughs. I was hoping somebody could show me this. Oh well.
Thanks to Glen and Simonis for making this history. Lets keep it up and hopefully Glen can do it in other areas to make it closer for other MECHANICS.
I will post pis soon.
Ron:thumbup:

You dont need filler if you use 20 bottles of super glue, a car jack and some baking soda and several straps. But thats just a hunch lol.lol. glad everyone had a good time I couldnt make it still covering for more coworkers having kids I thinks this is the #5 in 4 weeks. I'm tired of 14 hrs days 7 days aweek again, now if i could only say no to money......

WAY TO COME TOGETHER EVERYONE...

Craig

LCCS

Silver Member
You dont need filler if you use 20 bottles of super glue, a car jack and some baking soda and several straps. But thats just a hunch lol.lol. glad everyone had a good time I couldnt make it still covering for more coworkers having kids I thinks this is the #5 in 4 weeks. I'm tired of 14 hrs days 7 days aweek again, now if i could only say no to money......

WAY TO COME TOGETHER EVERYONE...

Craig
Craig, I was looking for you. Sorry you could not make it. If your tired of 14 hour days, then sub contract it. You will be putting in 24 hour days to fix the sub contractors work. LOL
Thanks, Ron