How Much More Time Do You Give Mark Wilson To Captain Team USA?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Call me MadCap but I'm not giving up on this years Team USA but I do accept that the fat lady is in the green room and warming up. :embarrassed2:

Now to the main point of this thread, and I want to preface this by asking everyone Please don't turn this into a mean spirited festival of insults.

Obv, most, if not all of us USA supporters are frustrated and speaking at least for myself, quite embarrassed at our Team USA's horrible performance thus far in MC 2016. We are getting our nuts shot in. :(

How much more time, if any, should Mark Wilson be granted, in your opinions, to remain as captain of Team USA?

I have an opinion but want to hear yours first.

best,
brian kc

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time for a CHANGE.................................

NONE. He's done. Nice guy but who cares? U.S. wants a win. My take: Make Archer the captain and use all young guns: Bergman, Woodward,Billy Thorpe, Shane McMinn,Wilke. They would be FIRED-UP big time and could NOT do any worse than current line-up. How can experience mean all that much when SVB dogs his brains out????

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
NONE. He's done. Nice guy but who cares? U.S. wants a win. My take: Make Archer the captain and use all young guns: Bergman, Woodward,Billy Thorpe, Shane McMinn,Wilke. They would be FIRED-UP big time and could NOT do any worse than current line-up. How can experience mean all that much when SVB dogs his brains out????

A lot of truth here. Can't hurt. The older vets are playing poorly year after year. We need a change badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the utmost respect for coach Wilson. I appreciate all he has done for American pool and continues to do with his college team.

I believe his best work is with younger players

So there is no disrespect at all when I say after years of observing him (through his commentaries and now a few years as the captain) I have determined that he is intimidated by some of the players.

I've seen great coaches treat great players with kid gloves and it usually doesn't end well.

Wilson is a great support role, but in terms of coaching and the constructive criticism required to bring your players to the top, I believe he is missing that.

That being said, some players need to be receptive of the criticism as well and willing to change.

Not going to happen.

Therefore, I say keep Mark Wilson on for another four years.

Enough time to see players from his college levels mature into fruition.

USA soccer just made a grave error in firing Klinsman who overhauled the youth soccer academies of America. Such an undertaking takes a decade to see the results. But team USA wasn't patient enough and their premature firing of the coach has set them back, they just haven't realized it yet.

I believe coach Johan Ruisnik or Lee Brett could do the job better from the instructional/criticism angle, but that would require players too listen and change. Not going to happen with some of current players. So keep Wilson and get the youth going as he did with Justin and Skylar

Last edited:

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe he has ran out of time.
I don't know him, I have nothing against him, but if USA lose this year, he has failed. But IMO he was always gonna fail.

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mark W is fine. It's not his fault our guys are not executing. They went with a good

plan but most of the team rely too heavily on SVB aka. Choke Master. I am an absolute

Shane fan but in the MC, this should be his last year. The young guys definitely

deserve their time next year.

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call me MadCap but I'm not giving up on this years Team USA but I do accept that the fat lady is in the green room and warming up. :embarrassed2:

Now to the main point of this thread, and I want to preface this by asking everyone Please don't turn this into a mean spirited festival of insults.

Obv, most, if not all of us USA supporters are frustrated and speaking at least for myself, quite embarrassed at our Team USA's horrible performance thus far in MC 2016. We are getting our nuts shot in. :(

How much more time, if any, should Mark Wilson be granted, in your opinions, to remain as captain of Team USA?

I have an opinion but want to hear yours first

best,
brian kc

Joe Tucker from Rhode Island next team captain Wilson had his shot

tlegried

Just a Banger....
Silver Member
Choke Master

I think Mark W is fine. It's not his fault our guys are not executing. They went with a good

plan but most of the team rely too heavily on SVB aka. Choke Master. I am an absolute

Shane fan but in the MC, this should be his last year. The young guys definitely

deserve their time next year.

5 out of 10 US open titles, yeah let's get rid of Shane....:rolleyes::

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have an opinion but want to hear yours first.

best,
brian kc

IMHO, as a rule of thumb 3 years is a good gauge . 5 years is too long for such fast changing and fast moving times. Longest serving captain before Wilson was Nick Varner- 3 times and he won once in 2009. His total match win loss was 24-29 (45% win) which right now is look much much better than Wilson's 14-29 (33% win)

Captains and Results for past decade
2007 Kim Davenport 8-11
2008 Nick Varner 5-11
2009 Nick Varner 11-7 (Only USA win in past decade)
2010 Nick Varner 8-11
2011 Charlie Williams 7-11
2012 CJ Wiley 9-11
2013 Buddy Hall 2-11
2014 Mark Wilson 5-11
2015 Mark Wilson 7-11
2016 Mark Wilson ??

Problem is if Wilson goes who wants the job? This is like no one wanting UK PM job after Brexit vote :grin:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the utmost respect for coach Wilson. I appreciate all he has done for American pool and continues to do with his college team.

I believe his best work is with younger players

So there is no disrespect at all when I say after years of observing him (through his commentaries and now a few years as the captain) I have determined that he is intimidated by some of the players.

I've seen great coaches treat great players with kid gloves and it usually doesn't end well.

Wilson is a great support role, but in terms of coaching and the constructive criticism required to bring your players to the top, I believe he is missing that.

That being said, some players need to be receptive of the criticism as well and willing to change.

Not going to happen.

Therefore, I say keep Mark Wilson on for another four years.

Enough time to see players from his college levels mature into fruition.

USA soccer just made a grave error in firing Klinsman who overhauled the youth soccer academies of America. Such an undertaking takes a decade to see the results. But team USA wasn't patient enough and their premature firing of the coach has set them back, they just haven't realized it yet.

I believe coach Johan Ruisnik or Lee Brett could do the job better from the instructional/criticism angle, but that would require players too listen and change. Not going to happen with some of current players. So keep Wilson and get the youth going as he did with Justin and Skylar
FOUR years???? He looks/acts like a high-school math teacher. Folks, we need fire and attitude not staid nerdiness.

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconi cup

Wilson gone Archer in start with Bergman and Skyler and get 3 more fresh young guns who are eager to play (EYE OF THE TIGER)

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really care about the US Opens unless that's what he is playing in, what I care about is

he just can not get it done in MC. Period.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't give a damn if the coach is Vince Lombardi. If your players suck you're going to lose. Therefore, we're going to lose.

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
I was willing to give Wilson one more year after this one. Then several things happened leading up to yesterday that I think its time to pull the plug.

1. Rodney made the team. He played great this year, but he was out of the points ranking. Darren does not keep getting a wild card pick every year out of respect. He keeps getting a pick because when its MC time, he brings his game and he knows how to help the team win. That's not Rodney anymore. I understand wanting to respect Rodney for what he has done, but his last outings in the MC have been far cries from the 90s and early 2000s. Great PR pick, but not necessarily good strategy.

2. The constant flip flopping between all guys being picks and then back to the points system. The points system is fair, but it is clear from the last several years that no matter who finishes top three in points for the US, they cannot beat the Euros. Essentially, the points are meaningless. While I appreciate greatly Wilson's attempt to change the way we view the cup and play for it, what has happened is the Cup has been stripped of its identity. It doesn't mean anything like it used to. It was fun to beat up on the Euros for a time in the beginning, but there were only a few good years where you really didn't know the result. Stick with a format for choosing players and stop trying to tinker with it, and since the points aren't acting as indicators, let it be top three and two picks.

3. Wilson said in the opening interview for Day 1 that this year, our goal was to not suck. You know what? That sounds like we've already lost or Wilson has given up. If he's given up or that's his attitude, I want him out. There's no fire or passion in that statement, and to make it on their home soil to beat? That's an attitude that says Americans are losers. You're the captain of the team Wilson. Act like it or step down. American pool may not be what it once was, but your job as a leader is to be there to support your guys to the end. You let them down with that statement and hung them out to dry.

Some side notes:

If it were up to me, SVB and Mike Dechaine would never play in another Mosconi Cup for the US. Both have shown they are lacking when it comes to this format and are constantly over matched in skills, mental game, or both. This does not mean they are bad players. They are two top quality players, but not for the MC. If USA cares about winning, audios. If it's just about showing up, keep letting them on the team.

Its time to start making the wild card picks count. Bergman was a good pick this year, but I still can't help but wonder if the reason he made the team was his relationship with Wilson. If it were up to me, I'd be looking at who traveled outside the US for tournaments and placed well. I'd be watching who stays the most often in position throughout tournaments and who gets out of safeties the best. I'd be looking at who plays best in alternate break formats, and who gets the cue ball consistently in the middle of the table. Heck, I'd even be watching body posture at this point to see who doesn't slump in the chair when down but stays engaged until the last ball falls, even if it's a beatdown. These are important markers to know who is training and who has the mental toughness to stay engaged for a high pressure quick race.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly, what does Mark Wilson do?

Does he have a mandatory training camp that every player must attend?

If so:

- For how long?

- Who runs the camp and plans the sessions?

- What type of training does it consist of?

If there is no camp, why not?

Are Mosconi Cup players given a schedule and a curfew while they are in competition?

Do they have strategy and practice sessions while there?

Personally, I don't care who wins, but I think having some kind of plan may help you win.