Different lengths bridge for follow, draw and stop

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sometimes adjust bridge length. I sometimes adjust from one type of bridge I use. I sometimes adjust my grip hand position on cue. I sometimes adjust how tight and how I hold the cue with grip.

But, I the one thing I do not "sometimes" adjust is stroke speed. I adjust that going by what I see and feel on "every" shot from experience from previous shots in drills, ghost races, matches against other players...etc..etc.

I think most all if not all of the above is why I agree with the hamb method.

When someone ask questions such as bridge length, grip position etc...etc...etc I start wondering just how many balls has this person really hit during "quality" time on a table?

I'm not trying to be short. I have ask such questions in the past before I actually made myself spend quality time on the table and stop just playing pool which is what I thought, at one time, was practice when in reality, it was one of the biggest things holding my game back.

Rake

That last sentence is pure gold.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I spent a few hours with Freddy at his home outside Chinatown in Chicago.

He had some unusual ideas about grips and how they would affect certain shots. Basically, I came away with the conclusion that he was wrong on most of it but that they worked for him anyway, perhaps for reasons other than what he thought. However, for one shot he showed me, I did make that a take away and still use it to this day.

As to his thoughts on bridge length, there is merit there. And all you have to do to prove it to yourself is to slide your hand closer and/or further away from the CB to see that in fact, the hit on the CB does change. And if you also keep in mind how small differences change the hit on the CB and the outcome of the shot, I'd have to say that there is considerable merit to the idea. You just have to play with it or at least keep it in mind.

Lou Figueroa

I agree. I didn't get it either. Even I knew better than to argue with Freddy about pool. He cut me some slack, but not enough to argue this point ;)

If it worked for him great, but I only have one way to hold a cue and hold it with the same pressure for every shot. But, moving the bridge as he described does have it's merit. Maybe not for some "pro" level guys that can shoot the same bridge length with no negative affect, but for amateurs, it certainly will improve your game, you draw and your pocketing ability.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. I didn't get it either. Even I knew better than to argue with Freddy about pool. He cut me some slack, but not enough to argue this point ;)

If it worked for him great, but I only have one way to hold a cue and hold it with the same pressure for every shot. But, moving the bridge as he described does have it's merit. Maybe not for some "pro" level guys that can shoot the same bridge length with no negative affect, but for amateurs, it certainly will improve your game, you draw and your pocketing ability.

I wasn't fully conscious of Freddy's ego when it came to all things pool and made the mistake of arguing with him on several points, earning his eternal emnity.

Lou Figueroa

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I wasn't fully conscious of Freddy's ego when it came to all things pool and made the mistake of arguing with him on several points, earning his eternal emnity.

Lou Figueroa

Well, growing up around him, I knew better :)

But, he would be the first guy to give you the shirt off his back. And any pool player that was busted or sick, would always have a place to stay at his home. So, he had a rather large ego, but at least his heart matched it ;)

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bridge length is a complicated subject.
Sometimes it’s just where the cue ball is that determines your bridge length.

But generally, the harder I want to hit a shot, the shorter I want the bridge to be...
...within reason, of course.

Short bridges give you accuracy...many carom players use short bridges for this reason,
especially when they have to drive the ball a long way.

It’s sorta like Bruce Lee’s one inch punch...extending the follow-through unleashes the power.

Good post. You're going against conventional wisdom here but IMO you happen to be correct.
To take it a step further, I'd submit that the bridge length is not all that important but that stroke length should be the focus. Just because your bridge is 12" long doesn't mean your stroke should be.
2 players who are known for their accuracy (Alex P. and Mike Dechaine) achieve that accuracy in large part by using a very short stroke even though their bridge length wouldn't be considered short.
Both players (particularly Dechaine) can generate excellent power and do it with very little increase in their stroke length.
If you don't believe it just take a look at a few videos and you'll see that I'm correct.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Good post. You're going against conventional wisdom here but IMO you happen to be correct.

To take it a step further, I'd submit that the bridge length is not all that important but that stroke length should be the focus. Just because your bridge is 12" long doesn't mean your stroke should be.

2 players who are known for their accuracy (Alex P. and Mike Dechaine) achieve that accuracy in large part by using a very short stroke even though their bridge length wouldn't be considered short.

Both players (particularly Dechaine) can generate excellent power and do it with very little increase in their stroke length.

If you don't believe it just take a look at a few videos and you'll see that I'm correct.

Good bit of truth to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not arguing that stroke length may well be a factor. But - just think about Geometry class back in High School. Then look at the possible pivot point meaning that any slight deviation from a straight follow through will have a much larger effect on a pivot point farther away from the tip. The pivot point being the bridge.

Well, as I said before, if you are playing Dechaine's or Alex' speed, no problem. They don't have the kind of problems humans like us have :)

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Not arguing that stroke length may well be a factor. But - just think about Geometry class back in High School. Then look at the possible pivot point meaning that any slight deviation from a straight follow through will have a much larger effect on a pivot point farther away from the tip. The pivot point being the bridge.

Well, as I said before, if you are playing Dechaine's or Alex' speed, no problem. They don't have the kind of problems humans like us have :)

Both play with Ld shafts that have a longer effective pivot point as well let’s not forget that part of the equation.

But the idea of that less lengthy backstroke applies most as well all should understand what is transferred is acceleration at the moment of impact....not before or after

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, growing up around him, I knew better :)

But, he would be the first guy to give you the shirt off his back. And any pool player that was busted or sick, would always have a place to stay at his home. So, he had a rather large ego, but at least his heart matched it ;)

No doubt.

Lou Figueroa

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Bridge length is a complicated subject.
Sometimes it’s just where the cue ball is that determines your bridge length.

But generally, the harder I want to hit a shot, the shorter I want the bridge to be...
...within reason, of course.

Short bridges give you accuracy...many carom players use short bridges for this reason,
especially when they have to drive the ball a long way.

It’s sorta like Bruce Lee’s one inch punch...extending the follow-through unleashes the power.

Hmm...Haven't touched my cue in 6 months. I may have to dig it out of my closet to test this one. Interesting.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...any slight deviation from a straight follow through will have a much larger effect on a pivot point farther away from the tip. The pivot point being the bridge.

...Ld shafts that have a longer effective pivot point
Interesting point.

A low deflection shaft might allow a longer bridge (for smoother acceleration, etc.) without the longer bridge's stroke error magnification.

pj
chgo

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A low deflection shaft might allow a longer bridge (for smoother acceleration, etc.)without the longer bridge's stroke error magnification.

Now, I believe we are talking about two different kinds of "pivot".

The kind you want when you're using BHE, for example.

And the other kind - which is the unwanted pivot resulting from a wobbly or in any other way crooked stroke. Now if your back hand gripping the cue at the time of impact shifted slightly to the right, the part of the shaft in front of the bridge would hit the cue ball on the left of it's intended impact point. If you used a short bridge the deviation intended impact point to actual impact point would be minor. The longer the bridge the more this deviation would show. Try it out for yourselves and look how far you can pivot with your grip hand on a short bridge vs. a long one - for example to hit 2 tips off center cue ball. You will notice that your butt end has to rotate a lot more for the same kind of deviation with a short bridge. Maybe that explains it better.

And this second kind of pivot, the unwanted or accidental one, will practically have the same effect on an LD vs. a normal cue. Your aim won't be ok unless you are "accidentally" using the correct bridge length for BHE. Still, even in that case you will have unintended spin on the cue ball either making you miss the ball or at least missing position on all but really close and easy shots.

At least that is my take on the applied science.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Carom players have been utilizing various length bridges and grips on the cue for over a hundred years! ALL the top 3C and Carom players know the value of adjusting those according the each individual shot!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Interesting point.

A low deflection shaft might allow a longer bridge (for smoother acceleration, etc.) without the longer bridge's stroke error magnification.

...this second kind of pivot, the unwanted or accidental one, will practically have the same effect on an LD vs. a normal cue. Your aim won't be ok unless you are "accidentally" using the correct bridge length for BHE.
That was my point about having a longer bridge with a low-squirt cue. The bridge and pivot lengths match up.

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom players have been utilizing various length bridges and grips on the cue for over a hundred years! ALL the top 3C and Carom players know the value of adjusting those according the each individual shot!

How about three examples of particular grips and the different effects they produce.

Lou Figueroa