Altering the hit of your cue

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just tried a crazy idea, I put some Teflon thread tape around my pin threads to see if I could feel any difference & WOW...... I like it. Has anybody ever tried this or something similar?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I just tried a crazy idea, I put some Teflon thread tape around my pin threads to see if I could feel any difference & WOW...... I like it. Has anybody ever tried this or something similar?

Go get'em Earl!

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

Lol...I have been doing this with my jump break for years but only in the jump section. I know a few people that I used to think were crazy for the things they did. For example coloring their ferrules, playing with no bumper, putting a rubber band around their cue at the joint...etc. I cant stand having a hollow handle/buttsleeve on a cue, such as one with no weight bolt but that is drilled for one. To remedy that I use a piece of 3/8x16 nylon all thread to fill that void, if that is the weight bolt thread pattern. I used to fill the entire area with silicone rubber. I also can not stand a logo on a shaft, so any shaft I plan to keep that is the first thing to go. I finally quit coloring the joint with a sharpie. After trying a cue with an extended wrap Ill never go back, so any cue I have made has a wrap extended to the buttcap. I also highly prefer no metal in a cue. I probably couldnt beat the 3 ball ghost with a magic steel joint cue. I know some are psychological but some really do help....or maybe im the one whos crazy :shrug:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol...I have been doing this with my jump break for years but only in the jump section. I know a few people that I used to think were crazy for the things they did. For example coloring their ferrules, playing with no bumper, putting a rubber band around their cue at the joint...etc. I cant stand having a hollow handle/buttsleeve on a cue, such as one with no weight bolt but that is drilled for one. To remedy that I use a piece of 3/8x16 nylon all thread to fill that void, if that is the weight bolt thread pattern. I used to fill the entire area with silicone rubber. I also can not stand a logo on a shaft, so any shaft I plan to keep that is the first thing to go. I finally quit coloring the joint with a sharpie. After trying a cue with an extended wrap Ill never go back, so any cue I have made has a wrap extended to the buttcap. I also highly prefer no metal in a cue. I probably couldnt beat the 3 ball ghost with a magic steel joint cue. I know some are psychological but some really do help....or maybe im the one whos crazy :shrug:
I'm really not that much of an equipment fanatic I just tried a little something different & it really feels good. I gives a softer more solid hit.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I'm really not that much of an equipment fanatic I just tried a little something different & it really feels good. I gives a softer more solid hit.

That's the stuff then. I'm going to try it myself. Interesting.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It might explain how my Huebler feels. :wink:

If sampling cues, try a compression piloted joint and/or phenolic insert and others. :wink:

With that said, I have no desire to try this on my main cue, my Joss. But you never know...if I get messing around I might try it.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread got me thinking about what else can be used on the threads to 'alter the hit'.

So I went out into the garage, found a tube of stuff and squirted some on the threads and put the cue together.

It is UNBELIEVABLE the difference it made, not only in terms of hit and feel. I think I can spin the ball much easier too. My 2 piece plays just like a one piece now! :thumbup:

Thanks guys for the suggestions! Oh and btw, here is what I used. :duck:

51Qop0Y0Y6L._SX342_.jpg

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread got me thinking about what else can be used on the threads to 'alter the hit'.

So I went out into the garage, found a tube of stuff and squirted some on the threads and put the cue together.

It is UNBELIEVABLE the difference it made, not only in terms of hit and feel. I think I can spin the ball much easier too. My 2 piece plays just like a one piece now! :thumbup:

Thanks guys for the suggestions! Oh and btw, here is what I used. :duck:

51Qop0Y0Y6L._SX342_.jpg

You should have tried Gorilla Glue, it expands to fill voids. :thumbup:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it sure is less expensive than changing cue joint type.
Just hope that it doesn't form any deposit within over time.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
__ OH CHEEZE, just noticed, a 2 year old thread. __
. . Oh well, may as well post it anyways.
Another KRAZY idea. Further customizing your cues hit with waxed & unwaxed dental floss.
Actually, I'm not sure what your doing is actually doing anything to 'the hit' of the cue UNLESS you're not tightening the joint completely. THAN adding 'X' to the threads merely tightens the threads, not the joint.