Kamui Clear: Advice on How to Best Remove It?

gulliver

Registered
Subject says it all. I hope I'm not trying to over engineer this, and perhaps I am being paranoid, it's just that I have this custom made snooker cue from the UK onto which I fitted a Kamui Black Clear Medium (using Loctite Super Gel) a few months back. Love that tip (was using regular Kamui black before).

Anyway I've been installing my tips on this cue and other snooker cues for a few years without any issues. Removing other traditional, leather only tips (using a surgical scalpel) is very easy. However I'm kind of tempted to err on the side of being extra cautious with the Kamui Clear's extra layer of silicon. Last thing I want to do is damage the ferrule, and unclear to me how this layer can be taken off once the leather has been removed with the scalpel.

Any advice? Or should I just chill out and take it off with pliers?

Thanks!

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This just sounds awful. I can't think of a good way without using a lathe. Do you not have cue repair guys near you? There is a reason they are in business. If you insist on doing it yourself, get the right tools: a lathe.

Not trying to be mean, just trying to help.

KMRUNOUT

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a polycarbonate layer not silicon. Should be able to cut it just like any other plastic, and remove it no problem.

gulliver

Registered
Is the ferrule brass?

Rob.M

No, it is not brass. It's Wooldridge's "black ferrule" system. Slightly more involved than a usual ferrule (it has a core that's integrated inside the shaft). Unclear what the material really is but it's feels like some sort of very, very dense/hard plastic-rubber ish (but nothing like the usual ferrule material found on most (?) pool cues in the US (phenolic I believe?).

See http://www.handmadecues.com/cues/22-blackspin.htm for more info (or whatever the cue maker is willing to share).

gulliver

Registered
It's a polycarbonate layer not silicon. Should be able to cut it just like any other plastic, and remove it no problem.

Thanks for your response. In that case I'd be tempted to slowly scrape it off with the scalpel. No offense to cue repair guys, they do crucial work for most pool players, as they did for me when I was playing pool, but I'd still prefer to do it myself for this snooker cue.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Cut it off with an exacto or other sharp knife. It's not that much different from cutting off a fiber pad.

Flintlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had a Kamui SS Clear installed today. I haven't had the chance to shoot with it yet, but it was replacing an aged Kamui SS Black. Here's what I don't get... Their claim to fame is that the glue does not leak into the leather layers of the tip. Well, what's holding that piece of plastic on there? I don't get it. I'll shoot with it tomorrow, but this has always baffled me. (Sorry, not trying to hijack thread)

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I would guess the same stuff that is holding all of the leather layers together.

Glue.

Of course there manufacturing process may be setup to keep the glue they use from wicking up into the leather layers.

I just had a Kamui SS Clear installed today. I haven't had the chance to shoot with it yet, but it was replacing an aged Kamui SS Black. Here's what I don't get... Their claim to fame is that the glue does not leak into the leather layers of the tip. Well, what's holding that piece of plastic on there? I don't get it. I'll shoot with it tomorrow, but this has always baffled me. (Sorry, not trying to hijack thread)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony.....please come back and report how you like the tips.
I'm having Kamui Black Clear installed on my new cue's 3 shafts (2 soft tips & 1 super soft).
I play with Kamui Black (medium) and I've never tried any Kamui Clear Tips.

Thanks,

Matt B.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Or you could just DOUBLE STACK it!! I had a customer who was adamant about wanting his clear layer left on and double stacked, so I did it for him, and he says he loves it.. Whatever, as long as he's happy with it, so am I....:thumbup:

Attachments

• 13920972782532.jpg
    13920972782532.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,617

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I don't get... Their claim to fame is that the glue does not leak into the leather layers of the tip. Well, what's holding that piece of plastic on there? I don't get it.

This is what I thought when they released the clear. Why not just install the tip with the adhesive they use to secure the clear pad?
I suppose using the clear pad allows for installation of the tip with any adhesive the installer chooses. The "special glue" is already between the tip and pad.