75-Year Old Herman Rambow Conversion-Modernize Or Restore

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It's time to do something with these Herman Rambow Cues.
I say 75-years old because the original owner died in 1942, and Titlists came out in 1939.
75 years has to be close.

My first thought was some kind of complete modernization, like original Titlists re-converted into fancy full spliced players.
Some have talked about matching the original finish, and keeping everything as original as possible.

Either way I am ordering 4 new shafts to match the originals...12.75 pro taper.
Obviously not as long as the original shafts, but I want to play with these cues.
Both cues are very playable as-is, straight (one is close the other straight) especially
with Josswest & Schon shafts, and I've tried Schuler, Black Boar, even Predator.

I think it's a tricky little project, and as far as values are concerned, the price of
Herman Rambow cues are not exactly skyrocketing, so the shop I send it to will be as important as anything.
I included some pics to show how long the original shafts are.

What do you think?

Herman Rambow 002.jpg

Herman Rambow 011.jpg

Herman Rambow 027.jpg

Herman Rambow 018.jpg

Herman Rambow 005.jpg

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
most of the old ones came with no finish. that is how i always liked my cues too.

if they were mine i would leave them as is and just play with them. once they are no longer original and they arent the same cues. and the mystique is gone. and i do have a rack of 50 to100 year old cues i shoot with.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you have two, keep the best one original and update the other one :thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the old car guys say "Its only original once". I'd leave one of them as is.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would leave it as is. If someone wants to purchase them, let them make that mistake.

I would send them to Guido Orlandi (guidoorlandi@wildblue.net). He will do them justice & treat them with respect & kindness. He's a Master Cue Maker & repairman too.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Would you "refinish" a Louis XIV with polyurethane?
or
Redo a Stradivarius using varnish from Home Depot?

The more original, the better.
Either leave it be or carefully use the period correct finishes.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Would you "refinish" a Louis XIV with polyurethane?
or
Redo a Stradivarius using varnish from Home Depot?

The more original, the better.
Either leave it be or carefully use the period correct finishes.

I agree. The Otis one I would leave alone. Isn't it worth $1500 as is?

If I had to modify a Rambow, the other one would be my subject. The darker wood will really shine with a refinish. Refinish with new shafts and linen or leather. I would be very particular about the wrap. I would want the wrap channel to be perfectly level with the surrounding wood (in the pics it looks like it would need to be built up). Black smooth leather would probably be my choice - but I would want it to be perfect. The quality of the work is going to make all the difference. He will smooth that butt section epoxy any hairline cracks in the ivory.

I had Scott Sherbine do two original 26 1/2's and they came out beautiful - far better than I expected. He carefully removed enough finish to leave some patina which shows on the lighter maple. The cues still looked antique but with a beautiful finish. I love them!

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I generally favor restoration. But I would send one to a top cue maker for conversion. And I would play the hell out of it.

Searing.
Tad.

Etc.

Not a refinish/repair shop.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a modern cue, have someone make you something from a titlist. In the guitar world a refinish reduces the price by roughly 50%. There are a finite amount of Herman's cues around, no need to mess with them. Think of them as barn finds and use them like they were made to be used.

EtDM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Paul Rubino still active? I know he was considered an expert on Rambows, and might be a great resource for a modern shaft.

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
Leave them as is.
Buy a contemporary to play with using the $$ you would put into the Rambows and ruinng their originality.