George Balabushka?

Flatfoot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can a George Balabushka cue be identified? I know he didn't put his signature on his cues, but I am just wondering if there are any identifying marks that he put on his cues? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
The best way is to send it to Pete Tascarella or Bill Schick and get a letter of authentication.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can a George Balabushka cue be identified? I know he didn't put his signature on his cues, but I am just wondering if there are any identifying marks that he put on his cues? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

There are no identifying marks that would validate a cue, but there are many traits from bumper to weight bolt, joint materials, pin and obviously overall design that lead you to the conclusion that it is a real Bushka. In other words, you need some experience to know. If you have a cue post some pics... unless you are planning on hunting at flea markets and estate sales. In that case, buy the cue for $2 and worry about it later!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no identifying marks that would validate a cue, but there are many traits from bumper to weight bolt, joint materials, pin and obviously overall design that lead you to the conclusion that it is a real Bushka. In other words, you need some experience to know. If you have a cue post some pics... unless you are planning on hunting at flea markets and estate sales. In that case, buy the cue for $2 and worry about it later!

I also thought he added a bolt in the A joint and cue can be Xrayed to see if that exists so Ive heard

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also thought he added a bolt in the A joint and cue can be Xrayed to see if that exists so Ive heard

A story I heard was there is bolt and he bought them in a hardware store.
Nothing unusual about that for that time period.
There was just little to nothing being made specifically for cue makers back then.
The makers of that era had to be very creative.
Today you can buy all the parts you need to build a cue if you have the skill and equipment.

A side note on Balabuska.
I heard in person Gus Szamboti say that George taught him a lot about cue making but not everything.
He said he had to figure out some things on his own.
I would say Gus did just fine doing that.