US OPEN: This breaking format is killing me...

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6ttoENb.gif

Last edited:

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perhaps-

Wouldn't it be interesting to model something along the lines of
The Grand Prize Game on Bozo's Circus?
The one with the series of buckets, and for every ball made, a gift would be won.

For each rack strung together, a monetary bonus would be earned, the more racks you string together, the more money you can earn and that makes it exciting for the audience to watch :thumbup:
I'm big kid.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
less than 24hrs into the open and someone is dying from the rules...wow what a surprise!
op...please die of something else

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New balls, new cloth...you cant replicate that scene.
All that practice isn't for naught.

They just need to make some slight adjustments. You can still get a good break with these rules. It'll just be a little different.

And let's not forget the most important thing. Every single player in this event knew about the break rules and equipment FOR MONTHS!

So who's fault is it if they didn't spend thirty minutes to an hour each day practicing their break under these conditions?

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not true, i watched the Morris and Dominguez match, Morris ran a three pack in the first match on the Stream table. I saw plenty of break and runs on other tables, and saw two 9 on the breaks wins for to the breaker regardless of number of balls past the head string

I did miss the first few racks. Actually the steam was awful so I might of missed a few break and runs but I can promise you that the majority of the matches did not see very many break and runs. I did however see a lot of illegal breaks. I don't believe anyone will challenge that statement.

filluptieu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Packages getting fans excited is overhyped. Fans would be more excited if it was pay packages. If tournament organizers like packages they should be in packages business like Fedex :D

+1
This is the best post of this thread
Too many matches have been won by the better breaker over the better player
I love it when they make the break tougher and players cry like in World Cup of Pool last year :grin:

LOL no comment... hahaha

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If people run 4+ packs half the forum says 9 ball is broken and the break needs to be harder.

If only a few break and runs are scattered through a match then the other half complains about the break being too hard.

I was at the final day of the Texas open, which was rack your own, triangle rack and winner break and the most I saw was either a 2 or 3 pack by John morra. I was entertained. Pool players just love to complain about everything.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did miss the first few racks. Actually the steam was awful so I might of missed a few break and runs but I can promise you that the majority of the matches did not see very many break and runs. I did however see a lot of illegal breaks. I don't believe anyone will challenge that statement.

I only saw one illegal break in Czeka Centenos match

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The rules are in place so the best player/not the best breaker wins.

There's a reason Shane didn't win last year.

Come on, call it like it is....a handicap system designed to give the dead money players more chances for their money.....for without their entry fees, there wouldn't be a US Open!

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they don't want to give the breaker any advantage, then why not just make it mandatory to push out after the break regardless if you make a ball or not? Since they obviously don't want you to see anyone string racks together, why not stop you from seeing a player break and run a rack as well? Alternate break sucks!! Racking sucks!! When you're learning to play pool, you rack all the time. The reward for continuing to practice and get better is that eventually, you will have less trips to rackville. Plus, don't we get a little enjoyment in making our opponent rack for us after we've won? They're called learning pains. It builds character!;);)

This game has changed almost to the point of political correctness for the opponent. We don't want you to feel bad, so we will give you a chance and let you break every other game. We will also alternate the racking so that you don't feel like a loser. We will rack 9-ball with the ball on the spot, so that the other player has less of a chance of making a ball on the break. We will also make the player break the balls as hard as possible so that they have less control of the cue ball and more of a chance of another ball knocking it in, so that way you get ball in hand. Cause we're here for you and we want you to feel like a winner. So, we're changing the game to benefit you and not the player that won the previous game and is now at the table. Screw that!! Quit coddling everyone and taking the enjoyment out of the game. Let's go back to winner breaks, break how you want, and even go back to the old cloth of the 70's and 80's. You know, back when you had to have a stroke to play pool. Not saying these guys don't have one, but moving the ball around on Simonis cloth is way too simple. I want to see a player be forced to let loose with a Strickland style stroke! Let's make everyone learn how to pull position off of five rails! :D

Sorry folks, got a little carried away there for a second. I'll save the rest of my thoughts for a different day.:D:D:D

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on, call it like it is....a handicap system designed to give the dead money players more chances for their money.....for without their entry fees, there wouldn't be a US Open!

I would if it was, but it's not.

If it were, then the dead money would win.

But they won't.

See how that works? Nice chat

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I would if it was, but it's not.

If it were, then the dead money would win.

But they won't.

See how that works? Nice chat

Really? Do you really think there would still be a near full field of dead money....if there were NO professional players attending?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? Do you really think there would still be a near full field of dead money....if there were NO professional players attending?

What does that have to do with your first argument?

Are you implying these rules are why there's dead money? What about all the dead money that shows up at Turning Stone twice a year?

How about all the dead money that filled the Us Open for many years?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What does that have to do with your first argument?

Are you implying these rules are why there's dead money? What about all the dead money that shows up at Turning Stone twice a year?

How about all the dead money that filled the Us Open for many years?

How about all the rule changes in an effort to keep the dead money coming because they could no longer fill up the 256 player field anymore....the US Open is a ring game made up mostly of entry fees, little added....in the hopes of pulling a profit.....first and foremost, endorsed by the Pros that DO shop up to play. Why do you think the dead money follows the Pros around from tournament to tournament.....if not for the dead money players to have a shot at playing a real Pro.....so they can see how they play against them....just not even up!

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rules are in place so the best player/not the best breaker wins.

There's a reason Shane didn't win last year.

Shane didn't win because he fouled, no one saw it, but he called it on himself when Corey was on the hill. He has the best 10b break but he's not a top 9 ball breaker. He has as much trouble or success as other top pros

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about all the rule changes in an effort to keep the dead money coming because they could no longer fill up the 256 player field anymore....the US Open is a ring game made up mostly of entry fees, little added....in the hopes of pulling a profit.....first and foremost, endorsed by the Pros that DO shop up to play. Why do you think the dead money follows the Pros around from tournament to tournament.....if not for the dead money players to have a shot at playing a real Pro.....so they can see how they play against them....just not even up!

Wrong as usual.

The reason the Us Open fields went dry for awhile was because Barry couldn't pay the players on time.

Now that Pat is in control that's no longer an issue.

I bet if the entry was lowered back to 500, you could easily get 200+ players.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Wrong as usual.

The reason the Us Open fields went dry for awhile was because Barry couldn't pay the players on time.

Now that Pat is in control that's no longer an issue.

I bet if the entry was lowered back to 500, you could easily get 200+ players.

Well....I think you should get out you pen and paper and start writing your great idea down on paper and send it in then....what are you waiting for?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't some european or asian tour have the same rules?

Yes and they are stupid to use there also LOL

3 balls past the string allows for too much luck to end up with a bad break, even if you make a ball and hit them hard. 2 is much better, or 3 past the middle of table.

Why can't they make an actually good rule like no jump cues instead of messing with the break non-stop?