Anyone ever hear of Chandevere tips???

salam4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone ever heard of this tip, not sure exactly how its spelled. Maybe Chandevere or Chandeveer. It's pronounced Shan-day-veer

I came across one and put it on my cue, I like it but cant find anymore. Someone told me they were discontinued.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's Chandivert, and they made FANTASTIC tips! Back in the 70's & 80's, all the top players played with French Champion tips (I still have a couple)...just one variety that Chandivert produced. They were the 'go to' guys, before Moori tips showed up. IIRC, all Chandivert tips were single layer.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
I still have some Chandivert "Rocky" tips. I'm hoarding them...lol.

The "Rocky" tip (to me) never was as hard as the testing said they were. I have one on my Favorite Meucci shaft & it mushrooms badly.

The ferrule on the shaft split a while back (don't they all...) and I'm hesitating to replace it. The thing just shot so good with the "Rocky" tip.

When I get some slack time from other's projects, a new ferrule and a Chandivert "Rocky" tip will be done...

J...so much to do, so little extra 'slack' time...lol

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Mueller's used to sell them but I noticed they weren't in the new catalog....They do have a Rocky tip though ???

IA8baller

Family man.
Silver Member
When I bought out the stock of a gentleman's cue repair stuff a few months ago to help me get started into cue repair myself there were a few boxes of Chandivert tips included. I have a box of 14MM Chandivert Crown tips (HARD) with 43 in it and a box of 14MM Chandivert Match tips (MEDIUM) with 43 in it as well. I also have (5) 14MM Rockys and (3) 13MM Rockys.

I'm not sure how old these tips are but they sure look nice but I wasn't sure if I'd ever get a chance to sell them as replacement tips as most people I've run across know nothing about them.

If any of you guys are interested I'd probably sell some of these tips (Crown and Match) if you know someone who would want/use them. I'd like to keep a few for myself for possible future customer use but with 43 of both of those types I'm sure I have a few to spare if anyone really wants a few.

I know this isn't the FOR SALE section but thought I'd throw this out there since it was related to the post.

I'll do a quick post in the Wanted/For Sale section as well.

Last edited:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone has them in stock then they are NOS as I read not long ago that Chandivert has went out of business.

Dick

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chandivert tips

Ernie G. of Gina Cues used these tips on his cues in the early nineties, the tips play good.

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
I used them in the 80's. They had a red fiber pad already attached to the tip.

I haven't seen them for a long time though. As some one else mentioned, ever since the layered crap came into vogue, they seem to have fallen by the wayside.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were these the ones that came in both brown and gray and had a fiber back?? I remember some like this that played pretty good, but you absolutely had to chalk after every shot or you might miscue. Even after chalking, you might miscue and, yes, I'm aware that most miscues are the result of a bad stroke. A friend of mine who did cue repair and I tried them for a while but gave up in disgust.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chandivert

They came in several models with the champion being the best tip of its day. They had a reddish backing. There was one model called a eureka that had a leather backing or was a two piece layered tip. I still have several of about four models. And a brochure describing them.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
IMO they were DYNO 20/30yrs ago. They were STROUD'S (and others) preferred tip for some time.:)

i scored a box 10 or 15 yrs ago and was disappointed:(

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were ten different Chandivert tips from the Snooky, the softest, to the Rocky which was the hardest. I can't remember all their names but besides the two referenced there also was the Crown, the Rond, the Champion, the Match, the Eureka, the Royal and the Comprime. There is one other one and I believe it was called the Capone but I'm not sure.

Dick

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going through some of my old stuff in a apt I have, I havent been there in a couple years. I also found 2 new Tad shafts that go with my first 8pt or 4 pt Tad; problem is both butts have matching shafts now(but from where), I didnt have extra shafts. All my Tad butts except one have 2 shafts-and that one I bought with one shaft.:confused::confused::confused: I cant figure this out. I have sold a few Tads over the years but awalys with the shafts they came with. HMMM

The real score of the day:

It was a score I found 21 Chandivert tips. I forgot I owned them. I vaguely remember now buying all I could when I did buy these back in 89 or 90. they are covered in wax so they are not all dried out.

I will take pics of them, they are made in France. There are 3 to a card, I will take a pic of the back, its written in English and French. these are the real deal. I used to play with them and Champion red backs.

Its funny in this thread in march 2009 I said "That's a name I havent heard in a long time like 20 years". Sure enough I was right-I just forgot I bought the tips when I made that post. My short term memory is gone but my long term memory is strong. I'll get some pics up soon(soon as I recruite someone to post them, i'm still too dumb to learn how:sorry:). I'm going to use one and see how I like it. I'm not sure what cue Its going on, I like them on Tads I remember that.

i'm going to go take the pics now while I have good light.

this is fun, seeing this old stuff pop up. Makes me wonder what I lost along the way.

best

eric:)

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just took some great pics. The iPhone camera in the sun is amazing, i suck at taking pics and even I can manage to take decent pics with it.

I'll email to someone for them to be posted up, this is cool tip history. these have a gray pad on them. Most of them have very smooth grain looking leather in them, there are 21 total, 2 of them have coarse looking leather and probably suck. I never liked the tips with big fibers in them they didnt last and would sometimes would blow half the tip right off the cue when you hit the CB 2 tips of side the tip would split and be ruined. Didnt happen often but it did with the course ones.

eric:)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Played with the red-back Champion tips for years.
And I've had some good Eurekas...but many of them spread.
They were made in Paris but the original owner got old and sold the business.
..then the quality went down hill...somewhat like the Moori story.
The last boxes I bought,a long time ago, were tricky to acquire.
The old man would only do business with people who spoke Parisian French.
A friend of mine knew one of his neighbors..only way we could get them.

BTW..French tips were the state of the art in tips for a 100 years.....
...which explains why tips are measured metrically instead of in inches.