One Pocket spotting when handicapping?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Examples..
10/6
12/6
10/8
Basically I would like to know how to spot balls properly when playing one pocket with handicaps. I have to give huge spots normally if I want a game. There is only few players my city that like to play it and they are quite a lot weaker.
We always debate about it so now I ask :D

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if the total balls you need plus total he needs exceeds 16

you subtract 16 from that number and that is how many you owe

then you treat it just like any game

if you owe 4 ,you spot your first 4 and you still need 8 to win

is that the question

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
You start with pennies on your pocket for the total score above 8

So if you're 12/6, you have 2 pennies to start, owing 2 balls

Edit: lmao whoops

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
It would be cool to be able to spot them one at a time after the table is cleared and just keep getting above the spot to keep plucking the ball over and over, that’s how I imagined it would go before I ever really played. But then I heard somewhere what dean said. You spot your first few balls that you make and just keep track of your score.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You start with pennies on your pocket for your score above 8

So if you're 12/6, you have 4 pennies to start, owing 4 balls

This is wrong actually. You would start owing 2 and then you go to 10. You only owe for balls that make the total more than 16. If I'm giving you 10/7, I start owing 1 ball and after it's made we just play 9/7.

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
That happens when the spot gets in the high teens or 20's.
Need to agree on when it spots, but it becomes a shoot, draw off the rail and back to the next ball.

It would be cool to be able to spot them one at a time after the table is cleared and just keep getting above the spot to keep plucking the ball over and over, that’s how I imagined it would go before I ever really played. But then I heard somewhere what dean said. You spot your first few balls that you make and just keep track of your score.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need to agree on when it spots, but it becomes a shoot, draw off the rail and back to the next ball.

If you can do that then you probably need to be going to foooookin 23.

That said, no reason for anyone to go above 12 or MAYBE15.. there are plenty of alternatives with lower ball totals.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You start with pennies on your pocket for your score above 8

So if you're 12/6, you have 4 pennies to start, owing 4 balls
No. 12/6 equals 18 which is two over 16. So, you'd spot two and go to ten. You spot the number of balls to bring it back to a 16 total.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Examples..
10/6
12/6
10/8
Basically I would like to know how to spot balls properly when playing one pocket with handicaps. I have to give huge spots normally if I want a game. There is only few players my city that like to play it and they are quite a lot weaker.
We always debate about it so now I ask :D
10/6-no spot. 12/6- spot two and go to 10. 10/8- spot two and go to 8. Total after the spot is always 16. This is because an even game is 8-8 or 16.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

If you can do that then you probably need to be going to foooookin 23.

That said, no reason for anyone to go above 12 or MAYBE15.. there are plenty of alternatives with lower ball totals.

Well you may not want to lower the ball count. There are no numbers that no one can be held to, so making them go to a number, say 5 while you go to 20 is a bet.

Take that same person and trying to hold them to 2 is a completely different bet.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
garczar is absolutely right,i was not accurate in my explanation

it is good to have people who pick up on those things.
thank you

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you may not want to lower the ball count. There are no numbers that no one can be held to, so making them go to a number, say 5 while you go to 20 is a bet.

Take that same person and trying to hold them to 2 is a completely different bet.

No, but 12-4 is ok betweent those two.
How should we play Dennis? 12-4 or 45-17?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Meaning that if there is such a disparity in skill levels, the worserer player would be a fool to let the better player make that many balls, instead of reducing his own #.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

All balls that need to be spotted are spotted at the end of your turn.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I played one session with an open level player about 10 or 15 years ago. 13-5 was probably a good game between us, but I can't recall if we ever played this way. Anyway, I came up with a game for us that we both agreed to play, as neither of us had ever played anything close to it. The game was 4-2. We either bet 50 or 100 per game, I can't remember. He ended up winning 4 games pretty easily.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played one session with an open level player about 10 or 15 years ago. 13-5 was probably a good game between us, but I can't recall if we ever played this way. Anyway, I came up with a game for us that we both agreed to play, as neither of us had ever played anything close to it. The game was 4-2. We either bet 50 or 100 per game, I can't remember. He ended up winning 4 games pretty easily.

Agreed on going the other way. There was a good player I used to play 6-4.