Height of pool table?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A Snooker table is slightly lower than an American pool table.

Some say the bigger and lower snooker table takes more physical agility. However, I play on both and have never noticed a difference.

The playing height of an English snooker table is approximately 32", two inches higher than a pool table. It's very noticable and makes the adjustment from pool to snooker that much harder. The normal/ideal surface height for pool tables (Gold Crowns, Diamonds, etc.) is 30". You might have noticed that this is the same height as most American dining room and office tables, and has been for centuries. This is in all likelihood the reason that our pool tables began using this height. I suspect that some existing tables that were already in use centuries ago were converted to pool tables. Makes sense to me.

One interesting thing I noticed in my travels was that in Japan the playing height of their pool tables tended to be lower by about one inch (29" high). I think this was done because of their shorter stature. This is not the case in the Philippines, China or Taiwan, who play on similar height tables to ours. I think even this one little thing is not helpful to Japanese players who wish to compete internationally. I suspect the top players in Japan are able to practice on a taller/regulation height table somewhere. I just never saw them in the poolrooms I visited over there.

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Some say the bigger and lower snooker table takes more physical agility. However, I play on both and have never noticed a difference.

This post makes me really question your screen name.

I have never played on a snooker table that was lower
or the same height as a pool table.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn’t this true regardless of table height?

pj
chgo
Agree. Same on any table. Played on a lot of Diamonds and never had an issue with height of table. I kinda wish tables were a tad higher just 'cause i'm 6'2" and have had back issues. Played on a top-notch 6x12 Star in OkC and i loved the taller bed height.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
qGEaUF63oFQya3mB6

Most manufacturers hane a 'recommended height' for their tables. GC are recommended to be 30' to the top of the slate during setup or 31' to the top rail.
The Gandy tables in Beenies were about 28' to the rail. There were no 'rules' until
the WPA ( I don't know how the came into power ) set its table specs.
Every pool room I've been in has their own way of setting up their tables.
Even though I'm 6 ft 1' , I prefer the lower 28' tables. Easier to level out
your stroke.
But, in the end, if you're 'on the road' , you have to play on whatever is in
the bar or pool room if you want to 'get the cash' !
Good luck
Pushout forever
ps
Thats for you BB ! lol

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite all the alleged world beaters at beenie's, I never lost there once. Pushout or other rules.

Most manufacturers hane a 'recommended height' for their tables. GC are recommended to be 30' to the top of the slate during setup or 31' to the top rail.
The Gandy tables in Beenies were about 28' to the rail. There were no 'rules' until
the WPA ( I don't know how the came into power ) set its table specs.
Every pool room I've been in has their own way of setting up their tables.
Even though I'm 6 ft 1' , I prefer the lower 28' tables. Easier to level out
your stroke.
But, in the end, if you're 'on the road' , you have to play on whatever is in
the bar or pool room if you want to 'get the cash' !
Good luck
Pushout forever
ps
Thats for you BB ! lol

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you being serious or are you yanking my chain?

Believe me, no chain yanking in my world. I have complained for years about the height of the tables I play APA on in Tennessee. Their combination of low lights above and a higher table height lead to several players hitting their heads on the lights. I did play at Shane’s grandfather’s place in Rapid City a couple of weeks ago. The guy that runs it now is a great guy. I’ll close by saying this - Shane still plays there on occasion and if the table height was wrong, I’m sure that would be addressed.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The Diamond tables are so high that it is impossible to level my stroke when within a foot of the rail.
Isn’t this true regardless of table height?
In my case, not really. I can hold my right hand a little lower allowing me to have a more level stroke.
You seem to be citing some kind of stance/comfort issue. They're talking about the inclination of the cue.
Yes, seemed to me that's what Tom was asking about when he mentioned being close to the rail- see the highlighted part of his post above.

pj
chgo

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member

Are you sure? I believe that the snooker table is slightly taller. No?

Don't you say you have both tables at your residence? Take a quick measurement.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The playing height of an English snooker table is approximately 32", two inches higher than a pool table. It's very noticable and makes the adjustment from pool to snooker that much harder. The normal/ideal surface height for pool tables (Gold Crowns, Diamonds, etc.) is 30". You might have noticed that this is the same height as most American dining room and office tables, and has been for centuries. This is in all likelihood the reason that our pool tables began using this height. I suspect that some existing tables that were already in use centuries ago were converted to pool tables. Makes sense to me.

One interesting thing I noticed in my travels was that in Japan the playing height of their pool tables tended to be lower by about one inch (29" high). I think this was done because of their shorter stature. This is not the case in the Philippines, China or Taiwan, who play on similar height tables to ours. I think even this one little thing is not helpful to Japanese players who wish to compete internationally. I suspect the top players in Japan are able to practice on a taller/regulation height table somewhere. I just never saw them in the poolrooms I visited over there.

Regulation Snooker table heights are measured to the height of the cushion, not the slate surface.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't you say you have both tables at your residence? Take a quick measurement.
According to the official specifications posted above, a snooker table is 2-3 inches higher than a pool table.

Of course there is nothing to prevent someone from sawing off the legs of a snooker table or putting stilts on a pool table. I once played on a pool table where I had to bend way down at one end and stand higher than usual at the other end. It's better not to install a pool table on a hill.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
According to the official specifications posted above, a snooker table is 2-3 inches higher than a pool table.

Of course there is nothing to prevent someone from sawing off the legs of a snooker table or putting stilts on a pool table. I once played on a pool table where I had to bend way down at one end and stand higher than usual at the other end. It's better not to install a pool table on a hill.

Right. I saw that too. I'm pretty sure this guy says he has both a Snooker Table, and an American Pool Table at his home...so... :confused:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regulation Snooker table heights are measured to the height of the cushion, not the slate surface.

True.

And snooker tables are taller. Both at the rails and at the playing surface. At least they are, if they are installed properly...

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, seemed to me that's what Tom was asking about when he mentioned being close to the rail- see the highlighted part of his post above.

pj
chgo

Yes Patrick, you are correct. Think of the cue ball as the fulcrum; then draw a straight line back to your back hand. Then look at the difference between a 12 degree angle and a 25 degree angle. The lower I can keep my back hand, the more level my stroke. The difference of just a couple of inches makes a difference in my stroke. That was the only point in my comment.