10 commandments of one pocket.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
God bless an opponent who, as a rule, won't kick balls out of my hole or kick at dead balls.

God bless anyone who argues with one of the great players who ever lived and plays one pocket better than 99% of anyone who ever played it. And God bless the entertainment value that arguing provides most of the rest of us! Thank you!!! :grin:

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stay away from kick shots.......................

Unless you know what you are doing.............

and then,..............................................

kick when the situation demands it!

Sorry but if Danny said that, he didn't mean EVER.
And Corey, he didn't mean ALWAYS. Or maybe HE did.

Corey does like to kick. Maybe a bit more than he should but others should kick more than they do.
They at least should learn how to kick.

Tom

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I LOVE the fact that Corey acknowledged he sometimes shoots a shot- knowing it is not the most prudent one- just '...to see if it goes'.

Leroy Jenkins.

Corey does like to kick. Maybe a bit more than he should but others should kick more than they do.

Tom

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Never kick in 1 pocket unless you're mad at your money." ( Or your horse's money... )

Danny DiLiberto

In my experience that is very "old school" thinking and has become passe.

Nowadays, just like in 9ball, guys have learned to kick at 1pocket. And and if you want to keep up, you need to be able to shoot a variety of kicks that often become available and are high percentage to leave a safe position.

Lou Figueroa

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Never kick in 1 pocket unless you're mad at your money." ( Or your horse's money... )
Danny DiLiberto
Danny's way of playing one pocket is mostly gone with the wind.
Alex The Lion, Scott Frost, Big T-Rex, lead the way in that kicking stuff.
Others will follow.
Nothing remains the same...change is ineveitable.
:thumbup2:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Danny's way of playing one pocket is mostly gone with the wind.
Alex The Lion, Scott Frost, Big T-Rex, lead the way in that kicking stuff.
Others will follow.
Nothing remains the same...change is ineveitable.
:thumbup2:

Sad but true...

Michael Andros

Silver Member

Tom

Of course Dan never said never. And, coincidentally, enough, I never *said* he said never. I merely quoted him. And I wouldn't presume to speak for him regarding exactly what he meant when he said it. But, I have an idea. I think most people do or, would.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the old days, the saying was: you don't kick at balls at 1pocket unless you're mad at your money or hate your backer.

And in the case of the old-timers, the "never" was implied. I believe Grady says as much on one of his tapes but I could be wrong.

Ronnie Allen was one of the first to break from that thinking and he'd often kick at shots and it's one of the things that made him such a terror. Later on, with Filipinos and the other great ball strikers, to include Scott Frost, things changed. Now you have to know how to kick when the opportunity arises or you're a dead duck.

Lou Figueroa

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
In the old days, the saying was: you don't kick at balls at 1pocket unless you're mad at your money or hate your backer.

And in the case of the old-timers, the "never" was implied. I believe Grady says as much on one of his tapes but I could be wrong.

Ronnie Allen was one of the first to break from that thinking and he'd often kick at shots and it's one of the things that made him such a terror. Later on, with Filipinos and the other great ball strikers, to include Scott Frost, things changed. Now you have to know how to kick when the opportunity arises or you're a dead duck.

Lou Figueroa
Check out this sick kick shot by Tony Chohan.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Yeah, Danny saw first hand from Ronnie what kicking can do in 1P.. back kick
A ball in his hole with cover, kick the stack and move three balls towards his hole
With cover.. and Ronnie always new the score.

And banking?... commandment #1 is know how to shoot EVERY bank... if you're a
So-so banker, forget it with One Pocket!

"I robbed Mr. Mathews with this one.. one tip right, one tip low... mmmm hmmmm"
-Bugs

Last edited:

rocketceo

<<< rocketceo >>>
Great thread!! Here's a new one:
Set traps. Evaluate your opponent; leave him a shot he shouldn't make, but thinks he can, and when he doesn't you're standing is better. Don't of course leave him a shot he can win on; rather, one that he can lose on.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
never play a guy with a seeing-eye dog.

more than likely, you're in a trap.

Unless your seeing-eye dog knows his dog.

image.jpg

Fourteen.. Corner...

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if the "no kicking" rule is meant for only offensive shots, but I can't wrap my head around how a person can effectively play the game without a healthy supply of defensive kicks, especially with one ball left on the table.

What about kicking1-rail to pocket a ball hanging in the other guy's hole?... I think every one-pocket player has to be proficient at and confident in shooting this shot when it inevitably comes-up.

What about kicking 2-rails into a line of spotted balls?

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Bumping this. This thread has a lot of good info. I have it bookmarked and read it before my one pocket matches. Any new ones?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
most of the replies are from people that have no idea of what they are talking about. just repeating something they heard from someone that may not have been mentioning that at all.
so far only about 4 people posted that have any real idea of how to play one pocket. one is tom and another is frank the barber.

best to play it with people that have an idea and watch u tubes and learn the basics first.

you dont ask a surgeon to post 10 things to know before doing surgery. he has to know 5000 things before he can swing his scalpel.