Bergman vs Morra, race to 100.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Figured I'd post a score update for the curious.
It's 75-66 Justin as of 7:30 , which includes Morra's 15-game spot.

It was 70-61 to start today, so that means they played 10 racks in 2.5 hours,
assuming 5pm start time. 15 minutes per rack. Even for slow players, that's nuts.
~5 minutes is average for top ten ball players.

I did watch day 1, and I confirm... it's just boring.
Slow players, dry atmosphere. OK commentator but he seems kinda bored himself,
and eventually bailed out as the match dragged on to 3 am... 4 am.... nearly 5 am.

I'm not saying they need to speed up, or that they're playing bad
(well, morra is playing kinda bad, for his rating).
If playing slow allowed Justin to reach a super high level, and playing slow
is gonna win him a bunch of money, then of course... keep playing slow.

It's just not fun to see very careful, deliberate, high-level 10 ball.

The patterns are predictable even for a B-player, so there's no tension or surprises.
I mean there's surprise when Morra misses something like this, but it's not that entertaining.

The safety battles are nice, but for every one of those, there's also 2 or 3 racks where
the player is dead out, but they agonize over every slightly wrong angle.

Justin especially... he knows what he's going to do within 5 seconds of looking at the shot,
and then spends a full minute looking at 3 other options anyway,
before going back to Plan A. Sometimes he surprises you and passes up a medium difficulty
shot to play safe, because he's being that careful.

I couldn't even finish the night that I paid for. Dead chat, absent commentator,
two guys spending a minute per ball. And the whole thing feels like a foregone conclusion.
It's already clear which player is better, I don't need to watch 36 hours of pool to confirm it.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this match should indicate to morra that he should think strongly of going back to playing right handed.

Also, this match also proves that shot clocks are needed to maintain fan interest

Nick H

Registered
I think this match should indicate to morra that he should think strongly of going back to playing right handed.

Also, this match also proves that shot clocks are needed to maintain fan interest
He can't play right handed anymore, it's a medical/physical issue. He can break and play power shots right handed but has to play left handed if he wants to continue playing pool.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Figured I'd post a score update for the curious.
It's 75-66 Justin as of 7:30 , which includes Morra's 15-game spot.

It was 70-61 to start today, so that means they played 10 racks in 2.5 hours,
assuming 5pm start time. 15 minutes per rack. Even for slow players, that's nuts.
~5 minutes is average for top ten ball players.

I did watch day 1, and I confirm... it's just boring.
Slow players, dry atmosphere. OK commentator but he seems kinda bored himself,
and eventually bailed out as the match dragged on to 3 am... 4 am.... nearly 5 am.

I'm not saying they need to speed up, or that they're playing bad
(well, morra is playing kinda bad, for his rating).
If playing slow allowed Justin to reach a super high level, and playing slow
is gonna win him a bunch of money, then of course... keep playing slow.

It's just not fun to see very careful, deliberate, high-level 10 ball.

The patterns are predictable even for a B-player, so there's no tension or surprises.
I mean there's surprise when Morra misses something like this, but it's not that entertaining.

The safety battles are nice, but for every one of those, there's also 2 or 3 racks where
the player is dead out, but they agonize over every slightly wrong angle.

Justin especially... he knows what he's going to do within 5 seconds of looking at the shot,
and then spends a full minute looking at 3 other options anyway,
before going back to Plan A. Sometimes he surprises you and passes up a medium difficulty
shot to play safe, because he's being that careful.

I couldn't even finish the night that I paid for. Dead chat, absent commentator,
two guys spending a minute per ball. And the whole thing feels like a foregone conclusion.
It's already clear which player is better, I don't need to watch 36 hours of pool to confirm it.

That’s pretty damning. Matchroom’s model of short races and shot clocks is the way to go.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
What I call this style of play is ''Up Down Look Around''. I've played two players in my life, and figured out how to beat this type of Iceman play. It worked both times, and those matches were 20 yrs apart.

When it's their turn, you Must turn your back too the table, don't watch them and detach yourself from the game. Your opponent feeds off your pain, and it is a great tool to beat a player who does this too you it's not fair play for your opponent to do this too you, but they are gambling.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see their head to head results in tournament play on normal equipment.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't quibble with any of the above, though I would point out that you have used the results of other long matches as a proof point for FargoRate's accuracy. ;)

OK. That's fair ;-)

It is certainly true that a single long race between two players is the prototypical situation for non-independent trials in the pool context.

The purpose of my post was not to contest the ratings, just to point out that for whatever reason - and there are many possible reasons - the match is not turning out as the ratings would suggest.

Even with the problematic 95% confidence interval construct this result is within the expected bounds, albeit barely.