why did they hand rack in the finals us open?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ideas thoughts?

With Mosconi Cup, World Cup of Pool, and World Pool Masters...Matchroom Sports likes premiere events. To them that means high production values, including a referee at the table. If a ref is there, they might as well rack. I think they also prefer the unpredictability of a hand rack for drama sake. But that’s not easy to do with a 256 player field unless you let players rack and invite controversy. So it’s really like two tournaments. A 256 player qualifier at a lesser standard due to logistics and then a 16 player true Matchroom event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think hand-racking by a qualified third party is best.
...didn't see any long racking attempts or finagling accusations.
....and it cuts down on the trick breaking.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Almost everyone in the final 16 broke HARD. Wasn't that refreshing? Looks pro...because it was a pro event. Matchroom didn't bring up the standard. They are the standard.

No kids playing the flute.
No 30 minutes of babble.
No National Anthems and other things to make the players go cold.

Announce the players. Run down to table. Shake hands and hit balls. 3 minutes tops.

It was nice of Matchroom to put Barry's name on the trophy.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The simplest thought for me, other than what has been said about having a ref to rack, is the average viewer is not going to understand what a template rack is and why they aren’t using a wooden triangle like they are used to seeing.

You also get delays in the flow of the game if the ref has to spot and remove balls. You have the times when a ball may be affected by rolling over the rack which could potentially frustrate viewers who don’t understand their overall benefit. There’s a lot less to explain to a casual viewer if they see the same equipment being used that they are used to using the times they have played pool.

I would guess these thoughts may be the biggest reason a wooden rack is used.

Edit: With the number of matches they have to get through early, utilizing a template rack helps speed up play and number of balls made on the break. This allows Matchroom to get through those matches in a more predictable schedule.

Just think of the last 16 as a separate tournament from the qualifying event of 256.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm a fan of templates in general but when there is a ref and it's televised i like the triangle. it just looks better on tv than a flimsy template

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Benward that they did it for the benefit of the banger viewer who has no idea what a temple rack is.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I think 99% of the people watching a pool stream know what a racking template is.
Same logic has been used to complain about horrible commentators who have to explain every friggin' shot.
People watching pool streams know the game.
Btw Accu-Rack template is the best.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the commentors could leave out the part about some player making 40K a few yrs ago.

It's not a lot of money. Just better to not mention it.

rivercitysledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The simplest thought for me, other than what has been said about having a ref to rack, is the average viewer is not going to understand what a template rack is and why they aren’t using a wooden triangle like they are used to seeing.

You also get delays in the flow of the game if the ref has to spot and remove balls. You have the times when a ball may be affected by rolling over the rack which could potentially frustrate viewers who don’t understand their overall benefit. There’s a lot less to explain to a casual viewer if they see the same equipment being used that they are used to using the times they have played pool.

I would guess these thoughts may be the biggest reason a wooden rack is used.

Edit: With the number of matches they have to get through early, utilizing a template rack helps speed up play and number of balls made on the break. This allows Matchroom to get through those matches in a more predictable schedule.

Just think of the last 16 as a separate tournament from the qualifying event of 256.

very possible...they only hand racked the finals..if a guy practices for a template thats what it should be..keeps everything on the up and up

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was CB fouls only in the double elimination stage. Then All-ball fouls in the single elimination stage. This was explicitly stated in the tournament rules that were in the player contract document.

I suspect it was this way since they only had area referees in the double elimination stage, and so the tournament would go faster and smoother.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Templete or triangle don't matter to me but no inspection of the rack was GREAT!