Need Help - Cloth Choice

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
I'd go with

If it were me the traditional green or light blue, these colors are easier on your eyes and match about any room. If you are dead set on wine get the regular 860, it will last a long time on a home table.
Good luck.
Stan

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ive said it many times....the last couple of inches a ball rolls if it wobbles to a stop....thats grain tracking.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I am in a dispute on the install of the table and fabric. Here are some pics. Bottom line is that in order to properly install the bed cloth I will need new cloth because all of the pockets were cut short and stapled like the picture. So, now is my chance to go to worsted cloth. I was not given a choice when I first purchased the table. I have learned a lot since then.

The pocket stapling is the way 98% of all installers staple the finished pockets. I have repeatedly shown how to finish pockets with no staples visible what so ever, quite a few installers have switched over to finishing the pockets the way i have shown. All the info is right here on AZB.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have heard of people getting it restreched after a couple months of use. Is this common in your experience?

Since I'm a table mechanic I'll answer that question and the answer is no, if the cloth is installed right in the first place it should never have to be restretched, unless its gotten wet from cleaning it or spilling something on it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
We have a good installer at our room....and we use Basalt or 860....
....but we've still had some re-stretching done...on tables closest to the windows....
...lotta moisture in the Spring.

In snooker rooms, back in the day, re-stretching was more common.
In a home basement, a tight cloth should last for years,,,if you keep it tight.

playing on a loose cloth is like putting on an un-mowed green....
....and you get more skids on it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
We have a good installer at our room....and we use Basalt or 860....
....but we've still had some re-stretching done...on tables closest to the windows....
...lotta moisture in the Spring.

In snooker rooms, back in the day, re-stretching was more common.
In a home basement, a tight cloth should last for years,,,if you keep it tight.

playing on a loose cloth is like putting on an un-mowed green....
....and you get more skids on it.

If cloth is not stretch indexed as to know what the maximum stretch is when it's installed then it's a guessing game as to how tight the cloth has been installed.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If cloth is not stretch indexed as to know what the maximum stretch is when it's installed then it's a guessing game as to how tight the cloth has been installed.

You're at the top of the heap, Glen.....lotta billiard mechanics do stuff you wouldn't do.
...my experience comes from a player's point of view...and sometimes the other side of
the counter.....I've bought and sold tables but have never re-clothed one.

I had a friend who owned a room out of town....it had good old Burroughs and Watts
snooker tables....he called me to say he was told he needed new rubber on a few.
...told him I would check it out in a week......i threw balls at the rails....THUD!!!....
....but the rubber was pliable....so I got under the table....some rail bolts were missing.
....the old British style side-mounted rails.
Told him to match the bolts at a hardware store or get them made at a machine shop.

He called me a few days later...said the tables were playing like new.

In your business, it helps to be a player.....I've seen snooker tables where the the rails
were mixed up, and they had a couple side-cut jaws at the corners....:eek:

There are posters on AZ that give us great info...AtLarge, Mr Bond, and RKC are three
of them.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I'm a table mechanic I'll answer that question and the answer is no, if the cloth is installed right in the first place it should never have to be restretched, unless its gotten wet from cleaning it or spilling something on it.

Many thanks RKC, your work is top notch. The info you have added here over the years is priceless.

langsky

Registered
The pocket stapling is the way 98% of all installers staple the finished pockets. I have repeatedly shown how to finish pockets with no staples visible what so ever, quite a few installers have switched over to finishing the pockets the way i have shown. All the info is right here on AZB.

So, am I wrong to dispute the installation? Stapling the fabric that way looks like crap.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
The staples can easely be covered but the way he aligned the rails says a lot about his knowledge/skills... not sure i'd want him back

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

langsky

Registered
The staples can easely be covered but the way he aligned the rails says a lot about his knowledge/skills... not sure i'd want him back

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I think the issue is that he did not align the rails. He just bolted them down where they sit without doing any alignment.

I was told this guy does over 100 tables a year.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:D Attached is a pic of my bar with table and custom cue rack. It just would not look right with blue or green.

I personally think tournament blue would look fantastic there.

The real question is: what are you using your table for? If you are seriously contemplating wine color, (and I genuinely mean no offense or disrespect here), you can't be very serious about pool. Which is fine. If you are just looking for some relaxed fun pool and drinks at your house type of situations, then get whatever color makes you happy. I was pretty sure Simonis 860 came in a burgundy color. Maybe not?

If you are looking for a home practice table and are interesting in competing in tournaments, I would personally prefer to mimic the conditions I expect to play seriously on. The color definitely effects my eyes and shots look slightly different on different colors. I have just become used to the blue color, and green is also very common. I really don't like shooting on other colors if I don't have to.

My $0.02

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive said it many times....the last couple of inches a ball rolls if it wobbles to a stop....thats grain tracking.

And that means improper stretching? That is the impression I get. People are not very good at this. I obviously don't mean you Glenn. Mechanics in my area are not great.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can't you just make little slits and staple the slits to the slate frame underneath?

KMRUNOUT

langsky

Registered
I personally think tournament blue would look fantastic there.

The real question is: what are you using your table for? If you are seriously contemplating wine color, (and I genuinely mean no offense or disrespect here), you can't be very serious about pool. Which is fine. If you are just looking for some relaxed fun pool and drinks at your house type of situations, then get whatever color makes you happy. I was pretty sure Simonis 860 came in a burgundy color. Maybe not?

If you are looking for a home practice table and are interesting in competing in tournaments, I would personally prefer to mimic the conditions I expect to play seriously on. The color definitely effects my eyes and shots look slightly different on different colors. I have just become used to the blue color, and green is also very common. I really don't like shooting on other colors if I don't have to.

My $0.02

KMRUNOUT

No disrespect taken. I am not planning on joining in on any tournaments. I do not have a pool hall close by, so my friends come over now and play at my house. We can get competitive on my table, but we are not planning on playing in any tournaments.

Simonis 860 does come in burgundy and wine. It was the 860HR that does not. I am leaning heavily toward the 860 for both speed and quality.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No disrespect taken. I am not planning on joining in on any tournaments. I do not have a pool hall close by, so my friends come over now and play at my house. We can get competitive on my table, but we are not planning on playing in any tournaments.

Simonis 860 does come in burgundy and wine. It was the 860HR that does not. I am leaning heavily toward the 860 for both speed and quality.

Ok...so my assumptions were reasonably accurate. Power to you if you like the color. I think Regular 860 will play great. That was the cloth everywhere before the 860HR came out. You should have no issue in a home table situation. That would be my pick.

Plus, IF things change and you want to go play a tourney somewhere, decent chance it will be on Simonis cloth, most likely 860HR, which just feels a tad slipperier. I believe 860 is 80% wool, 20% nylon, vs 860HR which is 70% wool 30% nylon (like 760). Not sure about those numbers, but feel pretty confident about the main point lol.

Best to you. GREAT looking pool room too!

KMRUNOUT