Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page USA vs. England, MC warmup
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-07-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benward452 View Post
If Matchroom can get the fan bases of other European countries as riled up as the English fans for their teams/players, this could be an exciting proposition.

Maybe stealing the team league format from our beloved Bonus Ball...

I think we’ve been speculating about extending it to continent vs continent to allow Canada to participate in the cup. I’ll take Alex on the team any day.

This is the first time I’ve seen that speculation semi-officially confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#17)
Benward452
AzB Silver Member
Benward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond reputeBenward452 has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 01:46 PM

Matt, I am curious how this England vs Team USA event led you to the conclusion of NA against Europe?

I know serious fans of the Mosconi Cup have been throwing this around for years after the slump of Team USA, but what was your reasoning of saying it here?

I am not following the bouncing ball.

I understand your comment regarding other country v country Mosconi Cup style events, but not the connection to NA vs. Europe.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

-Ben

Last edited by Benward452; 11-07-2018 at 01:53 PM.

USA vs. England, MC warmup
Old
  (#18)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

USA vs. England, MC warmup - 11-07-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Matt, I am curious how this England vs Team USA event lead you to the conclusion of NA against Europe?

I know serious fans of the Mosconi Cup have been throwing this around for years after the slump of Team USA, but what was your reasoning of saying it here?

I am not following the bouncing ball.

I understand your comment regarding other country v country Mosconi Cup style events, but not the connection to NA vs. Europe.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

-Ben

I said it smelled like a “precursor to switching Mosconi Cup to NA vs. EU” and the Matchroom COO responded with “spot on”. So either she’s responding to the second half of my post only or she’s confirming the entirety of it.

The reason it smelled like a precursor was simply intuition. If I was going to move in that direction then these are similar decisions I’d make to warm up the concept. #JustTheTip

Old
  (#19)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member
PhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 02:10 PM

Until now, I've never stopped to consider whether England is in worse shape than the US when it comes to up-and-coming pool players.

Old
  (#20)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 02:27 PM

This is such a strange event. The US is assumed to win this, otherwise why do it?

Imagine, a week prior to the Super bowl, the underdog team plays a match against a team clearly inferior to their true opponents. If they win, everyone knows they’re still big underdogs in the real event next week. And if they lose...

Old
  (#21)
SBC
AzB Silver Member
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosopherKing View Post
Until now, I've never stopped to consider whether England is in worse shape than the US when it comes to up-and-coming pool players.
Their top 5 are certainly every bit as good as the 5 we fielded

Matchroom will bring pool to huge audience. This shwould be a great thing.

Old
  (#22)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPoland View Post
I said it smelled like a “precursor to switching Mosconi Cup to NA vs. EU” and the Matchroom COO responded with “spot on”. So either she’s responding to the second half of my post only or she’s confirming the entirety of it.

The reason it smelled like a precursor was simply intuition. If I was going to move in that direction then these are similar decisions I’d make to warm up the concept. #JustTheTip

Weird. I assume she just didn’t read or get your meaning. Matchroom has addressed it directly in the past and said no way would they do that. And, no disrespect, but it’s such a dumb idea. It would admit defeat, change the nature of the event away from its Rider Cup analogue, and all just to get one player - a player who wasn’t even born in Canada, and has dual citizenship.

Old
  (#23)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member

11-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Weird. I assume she just didn’t read or get your meaning. Matchroom has addressed it directly in the past and said no way would they do that. And, no disrespect, but it’s such a dumb idea. It would admit defeat, change the nature of the event away from its Rider Cup analogue, and all just to get one player - a player who wasn’t even born in Canada, and has dual citizenship.

I assume Matchroom is more concerned about producing events that appeal to an interested audience than the dignity of a specific country now that the times and landscape have changed. My gut tells me they’re not going to keep trying the same thing over and over in the same way if they’re not entirely satisfied with outcome. I’m guessing they could be leading into more country to country challenge matches like season games and the cup itself could morph into something more like the Pro Bowl where you assemble the best of the best from a (slightly) larger pool of potential talent to square off. And maybe that just means NA vs EU. Even if the idea puts a bad taste in your mouth, it has “some” merit. I was just loosely speculating on FB and was surprised by the response and thought to share it here.

Old
  (#24)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member
PhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Their top 5 are certainly every bit as good as the 5 we fielded

Matchroom will bring pool to huge audience. This shwould be a great thing.
I'm not doubting the credentials of their top 5, but, looking at the average age of this English team, I'm wondering if there's any new talent kicking around, because I haven't heard any noise.

Old
  (#25)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

11-08-2018, 01:45 AM

Long live Barry Hearn and Matchroom Sport! Bravo!

And I am tickled pink that it will be FREE live stream on Facebook.

So many of the snooker matches and tournaments in ASEAN countries are only available to some countries, and the United States is one of the countries that is excluded, which really sucks for us snooker fans.

The 16-man field of Champion of Chamipions snooker tournament is in progress this week, and Matchroom made sure it was streamed on Facebook for all to see, including United States. This is great for the sport, for all pocket billiard sports.

Pool might survive now with Barry Hearn and Matchroom Sport steering the ship.

Down with the BCA. Down with the WPA. Up, up, up with Matchroom Sport!

Old
  (#26)
Poolplaya9
Tellin' it like it is...
Poolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800
  Send a message via AIM to Poolplaya9  
11-08-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I love the idea of this event, but is there a chance of demoralization before the cup if it's a big loss for Team USA?

Will it discredit the main event if team USA gets beat by Team England?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Jaguar View Post
I can hear it now the next Wednesday when after having been drilled on day 1, wind bag Jim Wych says, well folks should we have expected different after they were just steamrolled a week ago by only England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Imagine, a week prior to the Super bowl, the underdog team plays a match against a team clearly inferior to their true opponents. If they win, everyone knows they’re still big underdogs in the real event next week. And if they lose...
I agree with all the above. It is beyond a horrible idea to play a challenge match like this right before the Mosconi Cup with a team that is a severe underdog like team USA is, and it is an even worse idea if the opponents for team USA are weaker than team Europe. If team USA loses this, they will be demoralized and will be likely to play even worse at Mosconi because it is hard to talk yourself into thinking you have a chance against team Europe if you can't even beat some lesser team. There will also be less support and excitement from the fans with many of them also saying "well if USA couldn't even beat that 2nd or 3rd string team, they have no chance in beating team Europe so there is really no point in bothering to watch and certainly no point in believing in or rooting for team USA".

If you are going to have side challenge matches like this, they need to take place no closer than 8 weeks from the Mosconi Cup. That gives enough time for the players and fans to feel that things could have changed in the interim and that a different result or performance level could actually be possible.

Old
  (#27)
Poolplaya9
Tellin' it like it is...
Poolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800
  Send a message via AIM to Poolplaya9  
11-08-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPoland View Post
I assume Matchroom is more concerned about producing events that appeal to an interested audience than the dignity of a specific country now that the times and landscape have changed. My gut tells me they’re not going to keep trying the same thing over and over in the same way if they’re not entirely satisfied with outcome. I’m guessing they could be leading into more country to country challenge matches like season games and the cup itself could morph into something more like the Pro Bowl where you assemble the best of the best from a (slightly) larger pool of potential talent to square off. And maybe that just means NA vs EU. Even if the idea puts a bad taste in your mouth, it has “some” merit.
If Matchroom does change it from USA to North America, it would be the perfect time for them to introduce new rivalries into the mix as well. I would not be surprised to see them announce a Team China/Taiwan verses Team Philippines Asian Mosconi Cup. Or it could be a Team Northern Asia (China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, etc) verses Team Southern Asia (Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc) Asian Mosconi Cup. There could even be four Asian teams: Team Philippines, Team Taiwan, Team China, and Team All Asia (consisting of all the rest of the Asian countries).

The new teams, say Team Northen Asia and Team Southern Asia, could have their own separate Asian Mosconi Cup, or they could be included into a series with Team North America and Team Europe where the winner of North America verses Europe then faces off against the winner of Northern Asia verses Southern Asia for an east/west rivalry and finale.

Old
  (#28)
Swighey
AzB Silver Member
Swighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 04:51 AM

USA should be favourites for this - but that’s a pretty strong England team.I think the confidence boost/dent from winning or losing is overstated, it will be a warm up and will be treated as a warm up. Both teams will play to win but it won’t matter either way and there will be a beer or two drunk afterwards by most players and a gallon or two of beer drunk by a couple of them. Next year Europe could play a warm up against a North American, American (Americas) or resident in the USA team or whatever. It’s suits Matchroom, raises the profile of the Mosconi Cup as a brand and gives pool fans something to talk about and get excited about.

Old
  (#29)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolplaya9 View Post
I agree with all the above. It is beyond a horrible idea to play a challenge match like this right before the Mosconi Cup with a team that is a severe underdog like team USA is, and it is an even worse idea if the opponents for team USA are weaker than team Europe. If team USA loses this, they will be demoralized and will be likely to play even worse at Mosconi because it is hard to talk yourself into thinking you have a chance against team Europe if you can't even beat some lesser team. There will also be less support and excitement from the fans with many of them also saying "well if USA couldn't even beat that 2nd or 3rd string team, they have no chance in beating team Europe so there is really no point in bothering to watch and certainly no point in believing in or rooting for team USA".

If you are going to have side challenge matches like this, they need to take place no closer than 8 weeks from the Mosconi Cup. That gives enough time for the players and fans to feel that things could have changed in the interim and that a different result or performance level could actually be possible.
Omg they might lose and then never make a ball again. BS!

You think at this level these guys have never lost a match or tournament and then won the next week or next day or next match?

Old
  (#30)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
This just in from Matchroom ....

USA TO TAKE ON ENGLAND
Team USA will take on England in a Mosconi Cup style challenge match in London on Wednesday, November 28th.

The match will be broadcast live for free over two sessions on the partypoker Mosconi Cup Facebook page from 2pm (UK time) on Wednesday, November 28th and forms an important part of America’s preparations for the 25th annual partypoker Mosconi Cup.

The England team will be captained by Daryl Peach with Darren Appleton, Karl Boyes, Mark Gray, Imran Majid and Chris Melling forming the five-player squad.

Team USA is led by coach Johan Ruijsink alongside vice-coach Jeremy Jones with a playing squad of Corey Deuel, Tyler Styer, Billy Thorpe, Shane van Boening and Skyler Woodward.

Taking part at Spots & Stripes in London, the event will feature a mix of up to 13 singles and doubles matches, with the winning team the first to seven points. Each match is a race to five with an alternative break format.

The match will be streamed live throughout at www.facebook.com/mosconicup. There will be no public admittance to the match
I like the idea of a warm-up match prior to the MC. It will help to create a buzz around the MC a week ahead of time on FB and be good preparation for the Team USA players to compete in that environment. I also like that they are going over there so far ahead of time to get ready for the MC. This will allow them to accommodate to the time zone changes and acclimate better to being over there. Many pro golfers do the same thing a week prior to the British Open, going over early to play a European Tour event the week before.

They are doing a lot of things right this year and hopefully it will lead to a more competitive MC then we've seen in years. An upset by Team USA may be out of the question (they are huge underdogs) but a relatively close match would be a "win" at this point in time, say 11-8 or something like that. There have been "miracles" happen in sports before! Who knows? We can dream can't we.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: