Shaft Facing

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much of the Shaft Facing should match up to the joint when both parts are mated together. I'm noticing on my cue that there is a ring around the shaft facing just a little in from the edge all the way around the shaft facing--but there is alot of the facing on the shaft and the bottom joint that doesn't seem to face up together--is this normal--or should I work to have this straightend out?

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
The shaft and butt should be 100% flush
Take your cue to a repairman and have both faced off

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are saying the edges are rounded in that could just be the cuemakers preference. Maybe post us a picture so I can understand exactly what the problem is.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responces--The shaft is fitting tightly only on the outside circumfrence of the stainless joint and I thought that this wasn't right--I'll try and take a picture showing the problem I think I have and post for more discussion. There is a liquid sanding material that is like 10000 grit paper--I apply just enough to coat the face of the shaft where it tightens down on the joint and then tighten the cue together there is a large area that doesn't touch the joint. I can see this after I break the cue down by the residue of the liquid sanding agent I applied.--it's just the outside edged of the shaft riding on the joint face. When I bought this cue new--when playing with it for a few hours, it was very hard to break down--took a lot of strength to do this--with the newer shafts on the cue--very little force is used to take it apart again.
I'll get some pic's made
Thanks again

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Screw the cue up tight.

Hold the joint up to the light.

If you see light thur the two faces you have a problem.

Cue repair job that is very simple as long as the cue rolls good.

Rick

Tic

Last edited:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No light coming from the edges of the joint when put together--cue rolls nice and flat when rolling on table and also when rolling across rail with shaft on table. There are two shafts and one is faced off where I see now all across the facing matches up and is very hard to take apart after playing about 1 hour or so--the shaft that is giving me some bad feelings is the one that has the facing making contact on the outside eges of the joint.