Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Opinions Regarding Offering Advice To Young Players?
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Opinions Regarding Offering Advice To Young Players?
Old
  (#1)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Opinions Regarding Offering Advice To Young Players? - 09-06-2020, 10:58 AM

Our pool room is located just outside a college town In which a number of students have started a pool club the past 3-4 years. Although there is a small pool room on campus In which they get free play (included in their tuition), they often prefer playing in our room, even though we’re located 8 miles from campus. We give all pool club members 50% off on their hourly rates, to give the more serious players added incentive to come here more often than the one night a week 10-15 of them meet here to play.

I would generally describe it as a club that for the majority of their members places emphasis on the social / fun aspect of playing as opposed to having any real desire to put in the work to improve their games, with the exception of a few of the male players who have become hooked on the game and would at least appear to me that they’d really like to improve, but don’t really know how.

As a 63 year old owner / proprietor of the room, I try to make the effort to play with the more serious ones whenever I can. I play them as tough as if I was playing a tournament match, in hopes of teaching them the right way to play the game. My question is, particularly in regards to the ones that clearly have the most interest and the most future potential to become good players - when I see blatant faulty fundamentals / technique that they desperately need to change to give them the best chance to improve, I really want to tell them, but should I?

Ideally I’d hope they’d ask me for help / suggestions, but I’m just torn between whether I should wait for that to happen, or if it doesn’t, offer it anyway?

Old
  (#2)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

09-06-2020, 11:05 AM

How about put signs around the room “free group lesson Xyz date and time”. They will see it and show up I think.

My local room did this. A real players room. 30 people showed up, many young and beginner players.

Old
  (#3)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2020, 11:06 AM

Unsolicited coaching is a no no.

My wife used to make men pay when they offered her advice and coaching. So funny watching bar patrons telling her how to play, uhh because they are MEN. Her come back would be, “let’s play some for $20.”

If the young men are truly looking to become the best they can be on the table they will indeed gravitate to the players they admire and respect.

Old
  (#4)
lawlist
Registered
lawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2020, 11:11 AM

The time to give advice, when not being specifically asked for advice, is while playing the other person. Perhaps that person is stumped on what to do in a straight pool shot and you see a viable shot; or, the person makes an error and when the rack is finished, you set up the same shot and show that person a better way to do that in the future. If the person you tried to help is not receptive, then do not offer any more advice in the future to that person.

Last edited by lawlist; 09-06-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Old
  (#5)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2020, 11:17 AM

I would shy away from giving advice to anyone unless they ask for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#6)
336Robin
Multiverse Operative
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-06-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Our pool room is located just outside a college town In which a number of students have started a pool club the past 3-4 years. Although there is a small pool room on campus In which they get free play (included in their tuition), they often prefer playing in our room, even though we’re located 8 miles from campus. We give all pool club members 50% off on their hourly rates, to give the more serious players added incentive to come here more often than the one night a week 10-15 of them meet here to play.

I would generally describe it as a club that for the majority of their members places emphasis on the social / fun aspect of playing as opposed to having any real desire to put in the work to improve their games, with the exception of a few of the male players who have become hooked on the game and would at least appear to me that they’d really like to improve, but don’t really know how.

As a 63 year old owner / proprietor of the room, I try to make the effort to play with the more serious ones whenever I can. I play them as tough as if I was playing a tournament match, in hopes of teaching them the right way to play the game. My question is, particularly in regards to the ones that clearly have the most interest and the most future potential to become good players - when I see blatant faulty fundamentals / technique that they desperately need to change to give them the best chance to improve, I really want to tell them, but should I?

Ideally I’d hope they’d ask me for help / suggestions, but I’m just torn between whether I should wait for that to happen, or if it doesn’t, offer it anyway?
Tell them you give lessons if someone is interested. Unless they have the desire and have a little skin in the game anything offered to them won't stick or be
regarded as valid. You don't have to charge much because they play with you but they need to go in knowing you are there for expert advice.

The last two lessons I gave almost cured me of ever doing it again. One guy looked at me crazy when I asked him "how often he practiced" like I was insane.
When I found his fundamental flaw "which was blatantly wrong" he acted like I was wrong.

The other looked good at the table but crushed the balls and I told him the best thing he cold do was try to tone his stroke down and he said "what do you mean?" I told
him "you hit the balls too hard, you're crushing these shots" and he looked right at me and said "that's just how I do." Both paid me and I still wonder why. They knew it all.

Be careful is about all I can say.

Progress is inevitable.

Live long and Prosper!

aimisthegameinpool.com

Last edited by 336Robin; 09-06-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Old
  (#7)
The_JV
Local_Pro
The_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2020, 01:55 PM

If I have any, I offer up the opportunity for advice to every player I match up with. Whether they initially asked for or not... How is someone who does not know your proficiency in the game going to know to ask you specifically for suggestions, for something random you noticed...?

I'm not saying I force feed them my point of view. Just simply say..., "Hey would you like some advice on 'xxxxx'...." If they say no, then that's that. Don't force it down their throats. Let them decide if they wold like to hear an apposing point of view, and if they have the interest in improving their games.

No harm no foul.

A simple game, played by difficult people...

Old
  (#8)
jimmyco
NRA4Life

jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2020, 03:33 PM

Without creds, kibitzing is never welcome.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#9)
justnum
TesticularCancer Survivor
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2020, 03:45 PM

read through all the aiming system books

and make sure you tell the opponent which aiming system you use because that will start the mental game.

Old
  (#10)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2020, 04:08 PM

I think there are many ways to offer free advice in a non confrontational way. If I were just starting out and the room owner wanted to help my game I'd welcome the chance. You've already established that these are players who are working on their game.

Just tell the guy you've been watching him shoot and he's got a lot of potential but you noticed something that might be holding him back. How can I guy not then say, "Oh yeah? What's that?" After you tell him if he's not impressed then leave him alone. He might also appreciate it and pick your brain some more."

I see nothing wrong with that, particularly with you being the room owner.

Dan White

Old
  (#11)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-06-2020, 05:02 PM

Don’t advertise you will offer instruction unless you want to do it for every person that visits your establishment.
Your time is money so don’t just giving it away for free. Instead, think this as “Paying It Forward” and donating time.

So you need to be selective which of these individuals you will donate time to helping become a better, stronger pool player.
You cannot teach someone to have a good attitude. That’s entirely on them but those that do, well, they are the teachable ones.

The first thing you ask any young player is how good do you want to become at pool? Do you actually have aspirations or goals?
If they do not have any or don’t really have an answer to your question that makes sense, don’t attempt to offer them any opinion.
Instead, tell them to think about it & after they come up with an answer, to let you know what it is. They might ask you why?
Just tell them you saw something in the way they played that reminded you of someone & that person became very good.

If any of them wants to dedicate time to practicing, not playing and they must understand & respect there’s a difference, go for it.
But never more than 3-4 people individually or as a group. The best is 1 on 1 when time allows but the players must be serious.
It’s fine they know they’re in an exclusive fraternity with a few others. This way they can practice and compete with one another.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (05-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (03-85) Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#12)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

09-06-2020, 05:35 PM

Well if they ask for advise show them a couple of things to do that will make them better. If they ask again, make them prove they can do what you showed them the first time.

I hate people who say show me how to do a draw shot, then a week later it is another question, but no effect was put into accomplishing the FIRST SHOW ME.

After that School is Closed.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#13)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

09-06-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
How about put signs around the room “free group lesson Xyz date and time”. They will see it and show up I think.

My local room did this. A real players room. 30 people showed up, many young and beginner players.
Think that is a positive idea, hope it works out, maybe you will help get some regulars players.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#14)
straightline
AzB Silver Member
straightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2020, 05:47 PM

Offer classes.

Old
  (#15)
Johnson
AzB Silver Member
Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond reputeJohnson has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to Johnson  
09-06-2020, 06:24 PM

If they respect you they will listen to you, start with what they need to address first and explain how it will upgrade their game/progress (pocketing percentage ect.) . If they are receptive towards that then move on to the next thing that will add more to their arsenal. Pick out a drill that will show their pocketing ability and do a before/after to more clearly illustrate the effects.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: