Our Very Own Tin Man on DCC 9b Stream Now

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
As the title says Demetrius Jelatis, azb Tin Man is on stream now playing a young gun named Atencio..

Go get 'em Tin Man! :thumbup:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It didn't turn out well for Demetrius, losing 9-4.

I don't remember ever seeing Atencio play before. I did see that he made it to Round 10 of the One-Pocket, beating some good players. When he missed his first 3 shots against Demetrius, I wondered. But it didn't take him long to get in form, and then we saw some good play.

Anyone know anything about his pool background?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks gang!

Yeah, it was a tough set and a tough 2nd round draw. First time on the Accustats table and I struggled the first rack, then he ran the second to go up 2-0. I won a rack to go 2-1, then hit a good cut break but the cue ball came through the rack and caromed off the bottom side of the 9 ball and scratched. He ran out 3-1. I got a chance and ran out to go 3-2. Next rack I hit a good breakout but couldn't put down the 4 ball and he ran two racks, 5-2. I clawed back to 5-4 and then had a really tough layout. I tried playing safe on the 7 and it didn't work out and he ran three more racks. At 8-4 we played a few safes but it ended with him long rail banking the 2 and making a slick runout.

This wasn't my best set by any stretch, but trust me, it could've been worse. I am actually really pleased. Going in I was nervous that I'd shoot straight up in the air or just melt down. I really wanted to just be free of that, play my normal game, and enjoy myself playing a game I love against a good player. That much I accomplished. He outplayed me that set and earned the win, and I'm ok with a loss. You can't go far in pool without losses. The main thing is to fight your hardest and enjoy the battle. As they say, when you play to have fun you win as soon as you put your cue together.

DCC has been tough on me this year. I got beat early in the banks. Won my first match. Drew Sky in round 2 and got run over. Drew Eberle in round three and actually won 3-0. Then I drew Alex and despite playing the best set of banks in my life I got beat 3-0. Boom.

One pocket was a better draw but all the players I faced were capable and difficult. I won my first, lost my second, then won three more. I played Pinager in round 6 which was a funny set, I had him 2-0 playing really strong and then he turned it around. It put some heat on me and I missed a spot shot up 2-1 that would've won me the set. It went hill-hill and I spent the majority of the game down 6-3 on ball count. Then 6-4. Then I got a surprising opportunity and was able to run four balls and cinch that set. The problem was I had to play again immediately and against Busty. That didn't go well for me. I was totally drained from the prior match and my play was erratic. I beat him to the shot a few times but couldn't run the balls behind it and made a few blunders. Out in round 7.

Now the 9 ball I got a good first round and won 9-0, but my second round was a tough match up. It's funny, in this field you can get 5-6 rounds in without much adversity, and you can also get blasted out without many opportunities. There is a lot of variance in tournament pool. You can't hold on to results too tightly. Just gotta keep trying to play well one rack at a time and trust that in the long run you'll have your moment in the sun. But it's much more important to enjoy every match, because there's no payoff the 1% of the time you win to make it worth it if you're miserable every time you lose or dog it. The only approach that makes any sense is to just enjoy the whole experience, and trust me, I've had a blast this week.

They do the next round draw at 9:00 EST. Will I draw Filler? Will I draw a weaker player who turns in an amazing set? Will I get a good draw and dog it off? Or will I get a few good draws and upset a few champs and make a deep run? I guess I'll find out. I don't even really care, I'll just fire hard and see what happens.

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the rundown. I applaud your effort and your attitude. With those two things you cant lose!

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's a player..,

It didn't turn out well for Demetrius, losing 9-4.

I don't remember ever seeing Atencio play before. I did see that he made it to Round 10 of the One-Pocket, beating some good players. When he missed his first 3 shots against Demetrius, I wondered. But it didn't take him long to get in form, and then we saw some good play.

Anyone know anything about his pool background?

He lives in Houston and plays out of Big Tymes. He's has really improved over the past year, always played good anyway, but he seems to have elevated his game.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice job man! but Jesus that dude you played on stream he's a very good player, we will see much more of that jesus guy trust me on that.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was just told he beat Alex first round. He's coming on strong. From the little I looked into it he appears to have done well in the Jr's when he was under 18. Now he is 21 and has been playing full time for a while. Really smooth, fundamentally solid. Moves well as is evident by his 10th round performance in the one pocket with some wins over top players. Banks very strong. Breaks well. And very composed and focused. Granted I haven't seen much but he has the tools to be one of the US's top players in the not too distant future. I'm glad I got to play him.

Edit: I also really like his pace of play and pattern play. Not slow, but not reckless. Good common sense patterns but not fearful or controlling. Great balance of trying to keep the game easy yet being prepared to take on difficult. He's got a new fan in the Tin Man...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was just told he beat Alex first round. He's coming on strong. From the little I looked into it he appears to have done well in the Jr's when he was under 18. Now he is 21 and has been playing full time for a while. Really smooth, fundamentally solid. Moves well as is evident by his 10th round performance in the one pocket with some wins over top players. Banks very strong. Breaks well. And very composed and focused. Granted I haven't seen much but he has the tools to be one of the US's top players in the not too distant future. I'm glad I got to play him.

Edit: I also really like his pace of play and pattern play. Not slow, but not reckless. Good common sense patterns but not fearful or controlling. Great balance of trying to keep the game easy yet being prepared to take on difficult. He's got a new fan in the Tin Man...

I always liked your style Demy, not afraid to compliment someone else on their good play. That shows CLASS! Not only that, you actually summarize his game and allow us to understand why he plays so strong. An attitude like you have will hold you in good stead all your life! Congrats. :thumbup2:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you guys!

Well, somehow I survived Friday. The funny thing about pool is that sometimes you can win even when you're playing poorly. The good news is you win the match, the bad news is you have to play another when your confidence is at a low and everything looks tough. But then sometimes, just sometimes, if you keep going, things can turn around. Such was my day.

I was fortunate enough not to play any name players my next few matches but each of them was tough because I was really struggling. I was down 6-5 to my third round opponent and somehow caught a gear and played well at the end to close him out 9-6. My next match was worse, I dogged off out after out and fell behind 5-1. I think I was contagious because he let me back in the set and I vultured the next 8 games one at a time. Not pretty. My third match I started out ok to go up 3-1 but then I got a few bad rolls and my opponent made some great moves, kicks, and run outs to pull ahead. He had me 7-6 and then finally made a blunder and I somehow got it done and won 9-7.

I reported my win and was told I was up immediately in round 6 against John Morra. I just clipped him a 9-8 win in Turning Stone and when he found out he was playing me again he jokingly shouted "Revenge!" Well, it didn't go that way. Somehow playing better players is refreshing because there's no expectation. I fell behind 3-1 but then he gave me a few chances and I fell into stroke. I got ahead 6-4 and then I ran a super tough rack to the 9 and absolutely took it for granted and dogged it. Oof. 6-5. I was just laughing, these things happen. At 6-5 I played him safe and he made a jump combo on the 1-9 to go 6-6. I was later informed he wasn't allowed to jump with his break cue. Oh well. Then at 6-6 I got a few more chances and I ran through some tough racks. The first time I ran to the 9 I had the exact same shot I just dogged so I made a point to line my cue to the contact point like a noob, I was laughing about it. I shot it in this time and ran out the next couple to win 9-6. Wow. I feel bad, I really like John and he is a much stronger player, but you gotta take them when they come your way.

Then the funnies set of the night was my last match with Danny Smith. I was ahead 3-1 and then I fell into a funny spot and decided to go for a draw billiard on the 9 which was an inch off the end rail about 8" from the pocket. I caught it a hair thick and it might have hung but I had enough draw and outside for the cue ball to work it's way towards the pocket and double kiss it in. Then at 4-1 Danny walks up to me and says "Hey man, you're good. I don't want to torture myself. Nothing you did wrong. Good shooting." And he shook my hand and broke down his cues and left. I've had a few people concede sets when I was on the hill and they were at 0 or 1, but this was just perplexing.

Nevertheless, I will play again tomorrow at 10AM. I'm approaching the part of the tournament where I'm drawing very thin so I don't know things will keep rolling my way but I'll give it the ol' college try. If there's one thing to take away it's to never give up no matter how bad you're shooting because amazing things can happen if you give them a chance.