Atlanta or Bust!

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
Looks like I will be relocating to Atlanta for a couple of years. I should be there by mid-July.

I lived there for a year (back in 2002) and shot at "The Pool House" which was just outside the perimeter (on the northeast side) off of Peachtree Industrial. Paul Song was the desk clerk when I was going there.

Would love to meet some more AZ members and find out where everyone plays. I tried to find one popular place in Marietta (can't remember the name right now), but ended-up at Dave and Busters, which was fun, but not serious pool.

Let me hear from people that live in the area and where some good 9' tables are. I would also love to find a killer barbox weekly tourney... anyone know of any?

cuechick

Flys In the Kitchen
Silver Member
Hi Bill,
Atlanta seems to be the hot "relocation spot", I did so myself just a few years ago. The top rooms are Mr. Cues II in Tucker and The Poolroom in Duluth and Marietta, though I just heard, the Marietta room was sold to a top local pro(!). So that should be interesting, I hear he has plans to spruce it up and have it run by another well known pro player.
There are lots of weekly tournaments at all these rooms, as far as bar box, I know there is a very good monthly tourney in Macon. They serve up a really good free(!) dinner as well. Info is usually posted on the tournament forum.

Cheers,
CC

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the pace in marietta you where probably looking for is the pool room, it is about 1 mile north of the big chicken on Hwy 120, next to burlington coat factory, behind psyco tattoo. they also have a second location in duluth across from wild bills at gwinett plac emall off plesent hill road. www.thebestpoolroom.com

also mr cues II is roughly in the doraville area, headed I285 E bound, exit on Chamblee Tucker Road (lumped in with I85 exit). this is Archer's home hall. http://www.mrcues2.net/

sadly, sharkey's in kennesaw closed down, but side pocket is a bit of a hole in the wall and located in marietta on canton hwy (hwy 5) about 5 miles north of I75.

Myself, i usually play at Mazzy's in roswell on alpharetta hwy about 500 yards north of holcomb bridge in with the post office. its not as big as the other places, but has nice tables and good food. they have eleven 8' olhausens.

of coarse there are many other places around town, though hard to keep up with while they continually open and close. i belive corner pocket 1 in buckhead, buckhead billiards, players on windy hill in marietta have all closed.

others i think that are still open: morgan falls billiards on roswell rd 5ish miles north of abernathy, kennesaw billiards on wade green, bailey's in kennesaw by town center mall, town lake billiards on Hwy 92 next to target in woodstock, barley's on peachtree street just south of north ave in downtown.

FLOG378

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats up, I currently live in Atlanta also.

I know for sure that the "Pool House" is no longer in existance. They went down about two years ago. As for Paul Song, he stays at Mr Cues II in Tucker on Chamblee-Tucker Rd. He is playing very strong these days, he says come and get some if you dare too.

The place you are thinking about in Marietta is "The Pool Room." It is a very nice place and good action sometimes.

I would say the best place in Atlanta to find 9' tables is Mr Cues II. They have nice Kim Steele Tables with fast Champions cloth on them. Also, if you are ever wanting a game its the place to find it, all levels of quality.

No help here on Bar Boxes except for Sticks in Hampton. Its owned by Clint M. I know once a month they have a bar box tournament that is guaranteed $1000 added. Good tourney from what people say.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Atlanta is a great place for pool action but you definitely need to make a trip north to Chattanooga occasionally as well. When they have a regional event at Diamond Billiards all the top players from the region come out. The equipment is great as well as the food. The last event Shannon held there was as impressive as any I have seen for a regional barbox event. I try to make it down there as much as possible. I live in Knoxville and Chatt. is about 1/2 way to Atlanta for me. Takes about an hour and a half.

Here is a rundown of the last field at Diamonds. Talk about tough.

http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.cfm?storynum=4310

Good luck with your move.

pineknot

Registered
Isn't there an older guy there in Atlanta that knows a lot about pool, fast something or other?

Might want to meet him and have him take you some places. :)

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
*snif* Makin' me homesick a bit. I grew up in Atlanta and lived there for 4/5ths of my life.

To my knowledge, there aren't many places in Atlanta that have enough bar-boxes to be able to run a tournament. But I've been away for a few years (except for the occasional trip back) so don't listen to me. :p

If indeed the Marietta Pool Room (which is EAST about 1/2 mile on Hwy 120 from the Big Chicken, not north :D) was sold, who bought it?

Edit: There were a couple of weekly tournaments at the Marietta Pool Room (dunno about Duluth one) that a fellow named Vic used to run. I dunno if those are still going on and if Vic is still doing'em - I imagine so. But they're on 9-footers, I think.

Last edited:

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
Marietta pool room

I live real close to the room in Marietta . I have not heard that
about it being sold to a local pro ??? Thats intresting as I did see
two pros in there about a week ago just hanging out and not playing .
I wonder if that is who it is ? At any rate I am there about 3 or 4 days
a week ,if you ever want some one to practice with send me a PM
I don't play for money but I do love the game .......maybe one day
soon :)

BillYards

Silver Member
pineknot said:
Isn't there an older guy there in Atlanta that knows a lot about pool, fast something or other?

Might want to meet him and have him take you some places. :)

Oh, I met him already. Thanks though!

BillYards

Silver Member
Matt90 said:
I live real close to the room in Marietta . I have not heard that
about it being sold to a local pro ??? Thats intresting as I did see
two pros in there about a week ago just hanging out and not playing .
I wonder if that is who it is ? At any rate I am there about 3 or 4 days
a week ,if you ever want some one to practice with send me a PM
I don't play for money but I do love the game .......maybe one day
soon :)

Sounds great Matt! I will certainly look you and some of the other posters up.

I won't be able to get out much, since my wife is having our second baby in September... but I can get one night a week (if I am lucky).

FLOG378

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who it sold too.

I heard through the birdie in the sky that Johnny Archer is the purchaser as of July 1st.

Last edited:

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
North, East, whatever, sorta does both really, anyway, i don't think Vic runs the tourneys at pool room though he plays in em alot. he's on my wednesday and thursday ACS teams at Mazzy's in roswell. as far as bar tables, i don't recall anywhere that has any aside the bars that at most have liek 4 or 5, not since spare change out in norcross and the break in marietta closed down, both about 8 years ago or so.

Last edited:

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
I will be back stateside in August...and I look forward to meeting alot of you all...I will most likely be spending a fair amount of time at the hole thang in Macon...but I plan on getting to the ATL now and again also...

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
Bon Voyage my friend.....

BillYards said:
Looks like I will be relocating to Atlanta for a couple of years. I should be there by mid-July.

I lived there for a year (back in 2002) and shot at "The Pool House" which was just outside the perimeter (on the northeast side) off of Peachtree Industrial. Paul Song was the desk clerk when I was going there.

Would love to meet some more AZ members and find out where everyone plays. I tried to find one popular place in Marietta (can't remember the name right now), but ended-up at Dave and Busters, which was fun, but not serious pool.

Let me hear from people that live in the area and where some good 9' tables are. I would also love to find a killer barbox weekly tourney... anyone know of any?

Hope everything goes well for you...Next time we see each other (The U.S. Open?) the "Smirnoff Ice" are on me.

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FLOG378 said:
I heard through the birdie in the sky that Johnny Archer is the purchaser as of July 1st.

i asked Vic last night, and he informed me that archer and kim davenport are going in on partners buying pool room marietta.

BillYards

Silver Member
juegabillar said:
Hope everything goes well for you...Next time we see each other (The U.S. Open?) the "Smirnoff Ice" are on me.

Haha! You know I look forward to that visit! I actually just remembered a funny story regarding the first time I tried to order a Smirnoff Ice at a bar in Puerto Rico... I kept trying to order it in English, and the guy was looking back and forth between me and the other bartender with a look of confusion... finally he got it and said "Oh! SMEER-NO!" (Which is how they pronounce it.) He then said it to me slowly two or three times, so that my slow gringo brain could remember it!

I will also never forget when John Schmidt walked by us at the PR Challenge and said (regarding my AZ forum name): "Oh! BillYards! I get it now! I'm just a bit slow!"

I think things will work out for us. There is a lot of opportunity up there right now and my wife and I both got a $trong job offers (more than double our current pay). She fought the move for a while, till I showed her that we can gross over $300k a year. Then she just ran to the computer and started searching for homes! Haha!

I will be buying the drinks for you, my friend!

BillYards

Silver Member
And Harold: Did you get your hands on that Szamboti that is on the island yet? You had better buy it.... or at least get it for me!

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
socks said:
i asked Vic last night, and he informed me that archer and kim davenport are going in on partners buying pool room marietta.

Hmm. I wonder how that's going to affect Archer's "house pro" status at Mr. Cues II? :p

TheHole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barbox Tourney's

2nd Saturday of every month: Sticks in Hampton, $1000 added $50 entry(i think, if wrong someone correct me)

3rd Saturday of every month: The Hole Thang in Macon (straight down I-75 60 miles) $1000 added 9-ball $25 entry and we usually cook up around 150 lbs of boneless country ribs to give away during the tourney. www.theholethang.com

Come see us!