Inter-City Challenge Match - Columbus vs. Indy

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Planning for the first annual Columbus-Indy Straight Pool League Challenge is now underway. Mthornto and I are putting together a challenge match between the best 4 players from our Indianapolis straight pool league and the best 4 players from the Columbus, Ohio straight pool league.

We could use suggestions for the name of the match, prizes, format, etc.

We are thinking of having the #1 and #2 players from each league play a round robin (2 matches for each player); and having the #3 and #4 players do the same. Match would be decided by total wins; with ball count as the tiebreaker if needed.

We are thinking of having each man kick in $50, pot to be split by the winning team.

This first year we will host the match here in Indy (Saturday, May 5th in case you guys with network television are interested....it should be AT LEAST as interesting as speed pool).

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man that sounds fun! hey, maybe put each teams names in 2 hats and let #1 pick, then #1 from other team etc. Might make for some interesting match ups.

Maybe have a high run pot, or best per inning average.

You all might be starting something great there. Nothing like a good grudge match!

Gerry

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Seems forever ago....

We did a challenge match with Columbus OH back in the late 90s.

We took our top 8 players from our 14.1 league (Cincinnati Straight Pool League) and matched up with the Columbus playes.. we met at a very nice pool hall (forgotten the name) and played from noon until very late that nite.

We won by just a few points (all the balls made by each player were added up and it was very close)

what is the interstate between Indy and Columbus? is it 70? if so the matchup could be be the I70 14.1 clash. Indy vrs Columbus.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
How about calling this the battle for the Old Oaken Bucket? That's something to do with a Big Ten rivalry if memory serves.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
sjm said:
How about calling this the battle for the Old Oaken Bucket? That's something to do with a Big Ten rivalry if memory serves.

that's the boilermakers vs. hoosiers, sjm.
osu vs. indiana?,,,i don't know

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
sjm said:

Goodness, if Indiana has to play that team from Columbus for the Old Oaken Bucket I may not see them win it in my life time. At least against Purdue we have a shot every decade or so. But in general I like where you're going with the idea, though I give the Indy guys a slightly better chance than I give IU in any game against Ohio State.

Tommy Tube Sock

the last place you look
Silver Member
sjm said:

Oaken Bucket is IU v Purdue - I'm an Indiana native, rooting for Betmore!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for the education, guys. I'll be happy to field any Big East questions.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
sjm said:

did jarvis spell the end of st. john's basketball?

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
sjm said:
who's your favorite LEGIT(pre expansion) big east guard of all time?

mine's dave bing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
who's your favorite LEGIT(pre expansion) big east guard of all time?

mine's dave bing.

Now you're hijacking the thread, sir. Still, I'll answer your two questions.

1. Jarvis, despite coaching the last really good St Johns team with Ron Artest and Zendon Hamilton, brought the program's dignity down a notch. In paritcular, the Eric Barkely eligibility crisis really made the school look bad when Carnesecca and Lapchck had made them look good for well over 40 years. I had hoped for better, as Jarvis did a pretty good job when he coach George Washington University.

2. Dave Bing? I think he was already an NBA hall-of-famer when the Big East was formed in 1980. My favorite guard in the Big East was probably Eric"Sleepy" Floyd of Georgetown in the early 1980's.

Now let's get back on topic.

In 14.1, who's got the juice, the folks form Indiana or the ones form Ohio?

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
sjm said:
Now you're hijacking the thread, sir.

In 14.1, who's got the juice, the folks form Indiana or the ones form Ohio?

And the highwayman came riding-
Riding-riding-

the hoosiers have the breedloves....it's a lock, especially if the format is husband/wife.

Last edited:

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
sjm said:
Now you're hijacking the thread, sir. Still, I'll answer your two questions.

2. Dave Bing? I think he was already an NBA hall-of-famer when the Big East was formed in 1980.

my bad. was not thinking of when.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Thanks for the ideas guys. I like the "I-70 Straight Pool Challenge." Maybe we can broaden it over to St. Louis and Kansas City in the future.

We're hopeful that our league team will be sandianakid (IPT player, AZB poster), J. Lee (yahh, we'll let girls play; plus she lurks here), K. Baker, and Williebetmore...heavy on AZB'ers (but easy to figure out who is the weak link on the team).

Mthornto is in charge of the Columbus team; you'll have to ask him about their chances.

P.S. - Chris Mullin was the best Big East guard (you guys who disagree must be on drugs). I would have said Louis Orr - but I think he really just caught one year (the first???) of Big East action.

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Mthornto is in charge of the Columbus team; you'll have to ask him about their chances.

Well, the Columbus team is defiantly the underdogs in this fight, but I am bringing some dogs with no quit.

I will stick with Willie’s first initial last name standard. From Columbus I am bringing S. Hawley, R. Butchko, C. Fisher, and myself. Ranking by skill within out league, Hawley and Butchko are our two best players, Fisher is 5th, and I am 9th. No pros in our group.

Basically, we are all bangers that can’t run “three friggin balls” so I advise the Indy team to spend the night before getting fall down drunk, take us very lightly, and making a party of the whole thing

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
mthornto said:
....so I advise the Indy team to spend the night before getting fall down drunk, take us very lightly, and making a party of the whole thing

mt,
So what you are saying is we should not deviate from our usual training regimen????

P.S. - I think mt won his league in the past - definitely some sandbagging going on here.

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
P.S. - I think mt won his league in the past - definitely some sandbagging going on here.

Yea, but it was handicapped, so I was getting spotted like 80 balls in matches to 100.

Without handicaps, I am pretty much right in th middle skill wise in the league.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
I guess we have decided to have a trophy cup for the winning side. Any thoughts as to what we should call it????

? Mosconi Cup ? (sounds vaguely familiar)
? Betmore Cup? (never hurts to maximize our sense of self-importance)
? Breakup Cup? (nahh, no one would want it...fears of dysentery linger)
? Keogh Cup ? (after the inventor of straight pool - I like it)
? Drivermaker Cup ?

I'm ambivalent.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
If the trophy must be named for a dead guy; how about the "Famous Dead Guy Who Accomplished More Than We Did (in a lot less time)" Trophy???