14.1 opening rack ball placement

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been watching the World 14.1 Tournament at New Brunswick from this year, and I've noticed so far that Johnny Archer is the only player to rack the balls in the opening break per the rules with the 1-ball and the 5-ball in the right and left corners (respectively). Not even the tournament director/referee in the Sigel/Martin game racked them correctly.

I'm a firm believer that there is a reason the balls are to be racked with the 1 and 5 in the corners; otherwise it places the breaker at a disadvantage. Though it's probably not a big detriment, the dark colored and striped balls are more difficult to see and cut, especially from a distance. Some may think I may be crazy, but there's got to be a reason the rule about using the 1 and the 5 exists. On the same subject, I've also seen One-Pocket players use dark colored balls on the head spot and second row, probably for the same advantage/disadvantage, but there's no One Pocket racking rule I've ever seen.

Just my thoughts.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the WPA web site:
4.2 The 14.1 Rack
For an opening break shot, the fifteen balls are racked in a triangle with the apex ball on the foot spot. When the balls are re-racked, the apex ball is omitted if only fourteen balls are being racked. The marked outline of the triangle will be used to determine whether an intended break ball is in the rack area.

I'm not sure when the requirement of 1 and 5 on the corners went away or why? But they did.

I think it was Bob Jewitt who said the original rules had the balls racked in reverse order, 15 at the apex with the 14 and 13 in the next row and so on. The back row of balls would have been the 5,4,3,2 and 1 balls.

Andy

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2010 - 2011 BCA Rules

http://www.playbca.com/Downloads/Rulebook/CompleteRulebook.aspx

Page 48 (Adobe PDF file) 14.1 Racking Rules 6.2 The Rack

6.2 The Rack
For the opening break, the balls are racked as follows (see Figure 6-1):
a. in a triangle with the apex ball on the foot spot;
b. the rows behind the apex are parallel to the foot string;
c. on the row at the rear of the rack the 1-ball must be on the corner to your right and the 5-ball must be on the corner to your left;
d. all other balls are placed randomly. Figure 6-1

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
http://www.playbca.com/Downloads/Rulebook/CompleteRulebook.aspx

Page 48 (Adobe PDF file) 14.1 Racking Rules 6.2 The Rack

6.2 The Rack
For the opening break, the balls are racked as follows (see Figure 6-1):
a. in a triangle with the apex ball on the foot spot;
b. the rows behind the apex are parallel to the foot string;
c. on the row at the rear of the rack the 1-ball must be on the corner to your right and the 5-ball must be on the corner to your left;
d. all other balls are placed randomly. Figure 6-1

They weren't playing the pool league rules at the World 14.1 Tournament.

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been watching the World 14.1 Tournament at New Brunswick from this year, and I've noticed so far that Johnny Archer is the only player to rack the balls in the opening break per the rules with the 1-ball and the 5-ball in the right and left corners (respectively). Not even the tournament director/referee in the Sigel/Martin game racked them correctly.

I'm a firm believer that there is a reason the balls are to be racked with the 1 and 5 in the corners; otherwise it places the breaker at a disadvantage. Though it's probably not a big detriment, the dark colored and striped balls are more difficult to see and cut, especially from a distance. Some may think I may be crazy, but there's got to be a reason the rule about using the 1 and the 5 exists. On the same subject, I've also seen One-Pocket players use dark colored balls on the head spot and second row, probably for the same advantage/disadvantage, but there's no One Pocket racking rule I've ever seen.

Just my thoughts.

All the more reason to play one set of rules for 14.1 (and all games). Right now, it seems (to me) to be World Pool-Billiard Association Rules.

Dennis

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you have poor eyesight or are in a dimly lit room I don't see where it matters much.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion I think it does matter.

Except for one pocket there is no other pocket billiard game that has as much history as 14.1 continuous. It is the storied game that has the least amount of luck involved in its play. It is the best measure of a player’s ability to pocket balls, play shape and safeties. Few games require the concentration of a high run in straight pool.

It is not a matter of seeing the corner balls as much as it is a way of honoring the history of the game.

Andy

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I always thought that the 1 ball went in the front with the 3 & 5 balls on the rear corners. That is how I always rack them.

Kevin