Suffering from severe mental bloopers during play - Need help!

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I can not cope with my conscious mind. I can't generate enough focus, or whatever. That results in what I call mental bloopers, slight and rapid moments of loss of concentration. They lead to me missing pretty easy shots. I would call myself pretty decent player overall, "been there done that", I can perform almost everything you need to do on a pool table, and I know a lot on mental side of the game too. Yet I lose focus occasionally, I see no other reason for stupid misses I make sometimes. I tried many things, apart from playing with headphones on. I will try this in practise, hoping music could block my conscious mind from distracting my play.

The straw that broke camel's back occured last week during a local tournament. I missed a money ball which, I would say, I'm supposed to make 99 or 98 of 100. Probably now I should bring my estimate down to 90. The 9 is not on the rail.
dashot.jpg

It was a ridiculously tough match, I managed to come back from 2 games behind in a race to 4 and went on the hill. Then I won another exhausting safety battle (my opponent was one of a kind who don't even try to run out but instead look to get you hooked on three-foul rule, no matter what) and finally was running out from 1 to 9. After I played position on very last ball of the rack I felt relieved that I managed to get past that creepy s.o.b and approached the ball with my ordinary pre-shot routine. I didn't feel any excessive pressure, but at the same time I recall I coudn't block my mind from some disctracting thoughts. I didn't focus on them, but at the same time didn't get rid of them. So I approached the shot, and on the final backswing I felt something awkward in cue delivery, as if it stumbled upon something. Of course, it is too late and final backswing can not be stopped.
What happened next was like I was hit against the wall. The 9-ball caught the cushion and jawed. I lost this rack, and lost the next hill-hill in a pretty stupid way, I fouled on the 1 and at the same time the cue ball pushed the 9 in front the pocket, so it was a sitter. I actually lost two racks of that match this way, by 1-9 combos, and another by blowing away the golden opportunity.
So, regardless of how good I play this day, no matter how good I feel - such misses are awaiting for me. Similar stupid mistakes happened before but never had they been so costly, never before they came at such crucial moment. Make a ball and it's all over.
After that latest incident I'm on the brink of quitting tournament play, as I don't feel it makes any sense trying to compete while that kind of sh!t is likely to happen almost on every shot, you just don't know when exactly. Totally frustrated.

What I'm looking for is any good advice that will be able to solve my problem. Because otherwise, like I said, it just makes no sense to continue this struggle. That's a battle I simply can't win, as of now, as I don't see the remedy.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is like you took your statements right out of my mouth as I have the same problem and have been analyzing this for the last couple of months. this is what I have learned thus far,,,understand that I am an old guy and the length of time focusing is limited, but, I am no longer going to practice for a few hours before actual play. I have learned that after 3 hours of play my game starts falling off rather rapidly. just like yesterday, playing with a friend, firt 8 ball, I broke and ran the first 3 racks and after a race to 7 it was 7-3...me....then we changed to 9 ball, again a race to 7...7-3 me.......after 4 hours of play we raced to 7 on 9 ball and I lost by one rack solely because I could no longer focus as needed. heck, I even shot at the 5 ball and did not see the 4 ball down the table, ball in hand for the opponent. so, do not shoot yourself out before it is time to shoot for the $$$$!

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
First thing that struck me that you felt relieved before the 9. That's usually enough to bring your focus down. In other words, you took the 9-ball for granted and ended up missing it. Whatever happens, I'd say to keep your focus all the way until all balls are down. Even if the last ball is a hanger, make your best effort to shoot it with 100% accuracy and concentration. We've all experienced that there are no easy shots in pool if you lose your focus.
Hope this helps at least a tiniest bit :)

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
If you want to train to extend your focus longer, practice 14.1.

It a whole different world when the goal of the game is to shoot till you miss.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
800 lb Gorilla

I credit myself with being like a football coach, a fat football coach. I have been around the game and the right people long enough to know a lot about it, but not really able to execute the thing that I know or can talk about. That being said, I also feel that I notice things about people because i'm very mental also.

What I gather from your frustration is that feel that you know more than you can do, thus resulting in you thinking that you are better than you are. This is something that I learnt not long ago and is a big part of many players downfall "wow, glad thats over... now it's just this 9" and like someone mentioned earlier loosing focus on the money ball due to taking it for granted. See that 9 ball shot is no different from any other shot where you are trying to play position "a must make (pocket the ball and get position)" same level of pressure, only difference is that you have another shot and you're still at the table when you don't get the position thus resulting in a feeling of content (i'll just play safe or bank the ball), with the 9 ball/money ball when you miss, it's lights out, so the feeling of disappointment is greater not the stress of making the shot.

IMO solution:
PRACTICE! This is one of the most under rated things in pool thus resulting in the above statement happening, many player feel that practice is for beginners and not for them because they have "been there, done that". The key is "what" you practice and "how" you practice it. What i like to tell/teach people is to use the 9/8 ball (depending on the game that you play as the last ball in your practice drill and not just a regular ball (i.e. set the 9 as stated in your shot and the 8 where ever you want to be to play position on the 9, this gets you use to seeing the ball as just being a regular ball and not THEEEE ball (shoot the 9 from where ever you land)

And

DON'T! quit the league or whatever it is that you play in, getting over distractions and pressure is not done from the sidelines, stick with it and over come it.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mental part of this game can be harder to master than the physical part. When you say you were exhausted from his style of play, that tells me you were under pressure or even frustrated. It seems you hated his style of play and you allowed this to affect YOU mentally. It sounds to me like you are thinking way too much of his style of play, and you let that get to you mentally.

When your opponent is at the table you have no control of the game. If he plays crazy, takes the wrong shots, or is just a grinder and likes to play a lot of strategy/safeties you should not allow this to get into your head. When your opponent is at the table, RELAX, go to a happy place in your mind, think of something nice, or think of how you are going to punish them when you get to the table. In other words don't let their style of play get into your head. Use what ever "trick" works for you, but don't go to that negative place. Punish him/her once you get to the table. All of that BS they did previously makes no difference now, for now you are at the table, and you are in control of the game. Their style of play means nothing now, for you are in control.

Many players play slow, a lot of safeties, and so forth to get into the head of their opponent. It only happens if YOU allow it. Sounds like to me this is what happened here.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most important thing is to not let it eat away at you. The best players in history have all missed shots like that. If you start a thread on a missed shot, it means it's getting to you too much. It happens to everyone. Get over it. :)

Vahmurka

Silver Member
If you want to train to extend your focus longer, practice 14.1.
It a whole different world when the goal of the game is to shoot till you miss.
14.1 is the game I love most and practise regularly. And those mental gaps/bloopers I'm talking about stop me from being a solid 50-ball runner. I can run 20+ and then another 20+ and another, so I might have already run a hundred. But these runs are separated by misses which should not happen.
14.1 won't help me, it just adds to my frustration from time to time.

First thing that struck me that you felt relieved before the 9. That's usually enough to bring your focus down. In other words, you took the 9-ball for granted and ended up missing it
thanks for chiming in buddy. When I say I was relieved I meant there was no feeling of a hard task, THAT important ball, I was neither indifferent nore overhyped about it. I was feeling better with every single ball of that rack I made (just because that funny safety battle was over and I was in full control of the table), that's why I was relieved up to the 9 ball.
That's not the main reason for my problem, as same things tend to happen earlier in the rack (or in 14.1 where all balls are of the same value).

I feel it is something happening in my mind right before I pull the trigger, which makes my stroke wobble and/or deliver the cue to false aiming point. That's a very evasive enemy I can't catch.

Last edited:

Vahmurka

Silver Member
The mental part of this game can be harder to master than the physical part. When you say you were exhausted from his style of play, that tells me you were under pressure or even frustrated. It seems you hated his style of play and you allowed this to affect YOU mentally. It sounds to me like you are thinking way too much of his style of play, and you let that get to you mentally.
Sounds like to me this is what happened here.
lots of very reasonable words, I totally agree and I'm familiar with what you said here. You are right I was affected mentally in this particular case, and I tried to fight with that feeling.

But such things happen both in competition with other opponents when I'm in total positive mood, and, much worse, in practise where you don't face any human opposition. Seems like I get switched off (or ON, if we talk about conscious mind which is harmful for a player supposed to be "in the zone") for a split second, and it comes in a very inappropriate moment.

When I said "been there, done that" I meant that I used to (and still do) practise regularly, doing drills and whatever. But I see no further reason to practise something as long as I'm subject to such distractions which mean I can miss any given shot that is 80-90% makable.

If you start a thread on a missed shot, it means it's getting to you too much. It happens to everyone. Get over it. :)
Guys, it's not about that very shot I pictured. Like I said, there is a variety of similar ones. And what's the reason to be able to do spinned draw shots like Corey if I miss the next shot like this one? This 9 ball was just the apex, like king of them all my stupid misses.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I didn't feel any excessive pressure, but at the same time I recall I coudn't block my mind from some disctracting thoughts."

I'm curious, can you recall exactly what the distracting thoughts were? Were they images? Were they words? And what were the images or words exactly?

Last edited:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can not cope with my conscious mind. I can't generate enough focus, or whatever. That results in what I call mental bloopers, slight and rapid moments of loss of concentration. They lead to me missing pretty easy shots. I would call myself pretty decent player overall, "been there done that", I can perform almost everything you need to do on a pool table, and I know a lot on mental side of the game too. Yet I lose focus occasionally, I see no other reason for stupid misses I make sometimes. I tried many things, apart from playing with headphones on. I will try this in practise, hoping music could block my conscious mind from distracting my play.

The straw that broke camel's back occured last week during a local tournament. I missed a money ball which, I would say, I'm supposed to make 99 or 98 of 100. Probably now I should bring my estimate down to 90. The 9 is not on the rail.
View attachment 335467

It was a ridiculously tough match, I managed to come back from 2 games behind in a race to 4 and went on the hill. Then I won another exhausting safety battle (my opponent was one of a kind who don't even try to run out but instead look to get you hooked on three-foul rule, no matter what) and finally was running out from 1 to 9. After I played position on very last ball of the rack I felt relieved that I managed to get past that creepy s.o.b and approached the ball with my ordinary pre-shot routine. I didn't feel any excessive pressure, but at the same time I recall I coudn't block my mind from some disctracting thoughts. I didn't focus on them, but at the same time didn't get rid of them. So I approached the shot, and on the final backswing I felt something awkward in cue delivery, as if it stumbled upon something. Of course, it is too late and final backswing can not be stopped.
What happened next was like I was hit against the wall. The 9-ball caught the cushion and jawed. I lost this rack, and lost the next hill-hill in a pretty stupid way, I fouled on the 1 and at the same time the cue ball pushed the 9 in front the pocket, so it was a sitter. I actually lost two racks of that match this way, by 1-9 combos, and another by blowing away the golden opportunity.
So, regardless of how good I play this day, no matter how good I feel - such misses are awaiting for me. Similar stupid mistakes happened before but never had they been so costly, never before they came at such crucial moment. Make a ball and it's all over.
After that latest incident I'm on the brink of quitting tournament play, as I don't feel it makes any sense trying to compete while that kind of sh!t is likely to happen almost on every shot, you just don't know when exactly. Totally frustrated.

What I'm looking for is any good advice that will be able to solve my problem. Because otherwise, like I said, it just makes no sense to continue this struggle. That's a battle I simply can't win, as of now, as I don't see the remedy.

A simple yet very strong tool. When the conscious mind drifts some bad thoughts in your mind say the words " cancel, cancel, cancel" to yourself. You subconscious will understand. The more you do it the more powerful it becomes, the power of compounding commands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I can relate Vahmurka. Like the physical part of the game, there is no one answer specifically for the mental part, but I do agree that practice is the major key factor that can help overcome so many problems playing.

When we become so naturally able to execute that it is second nature, small diversions or entering thoughts don't play as significant a role in whether we successfully complete a shot or not.

Personally, I've become complacent with where I am playing. I can't stand to practice. Thats my stonewall.

I have a buddy who loves to practice, he wakes up in dead stroke. He practices constantly. When we play, I have to find my stroke every outing, LOL, by the time I do ... I'm tired and playing good, but ready to quit. :frown:

I don't know why, other than it is boring and not fun to me. I have a fine GC in my basement with new 860 cloth, but ... unless a buddy comes over to play, I'll never, ever go down in the basement and hit balls. I have both heat and air conditioning down there, along with padded carpet, so it's not a comfort thing, just I hate practicing.

When any ever so slight confusion, second guessing, outside thoughts, anything enter our minds, the ability to have total confidence in our stroke and execution can overcome so much of that. But ... it is different for all of us.

I'm a lot like you, I enjoy straight pool the most, and for me, that issue shows up in that game far more than any other. Most of the shots I miss in straight pool that stop my runs are laughers, a foot from the pocket, and a foot from the CB. My mind wanders or starts considering exact spots to bump another ball into position, and I take my eye off the shot or something similar.

I think it's all relative to having a passion for the game. While I like the game, the passion is long gone for me.

So, my answer is a handful of elements must be present to play well. Passion, Practice, determination, focus, desire, all those things have got to be naturally present ... shoot, not only am I lacking them, I'm getting tired just thinking about them. :D

Last edited:

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mental Bloopers

Two things for you to consider:

First monitor what you are saying to yourself--stupid, missing easy shots, shoulda, etc. Bad mouthing yourself is like stomach punches to a fighter. You fall down around the eighth round. Say stop, cancel, or turn the volume down on those voices and keep positive with attention to your stroke and psr.

Next is keep your eyes on the table and don't have them wander around. 100% eyes on the table! As Bert Kinister says if a brain surgeon had your head opened up would you want him looking around the operating room? If you drift away from the table, refocus and keep your eyes on the game.

Good luck!

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
First thing that struck me that you felt relieved before the 9. That's usually enough to bring your focus down. In other words, you took the 9-ball for granted and ended up missing it. Whatever happens, I'd say to keep your focus all the way until all balls are down. Even if the last ball is a hanger, make your best effort to shoot it with 100% accuracy and concentration. We've all experienced that there are no easy shots in pool if you lose your focus.
Hope this helps at least a tiniest bit :)

This is good advice ^^^

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering you have chosen the right shot elements during pre shot routine (among which a medium speed in order to keep a firm stroke in line), meaning there was no structural problem that could affect your backswing, let's stay with the mental part, you have to really check this though.
This is where a player is left alone against her/his own mental aspect of the game, a point where nothing else apart her/his own concentration ability is going to help.
In order to overcome such problems it's good to prepare using a pre mental routine, imagine yourself facing this situation again, only this time see yourself standing up and approaching the shot eliminating those thoughts. You will have better chances next time, this is something to be done the day before you enter a tournament.
Above all it's a personal road to take, good luck!
Petros

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
Our conscious and subconscious mind only has so much bandwidth to plan and execute a shot. The conscious mind lays out the plan and the subconscious executes that plan. The less conscious thought when executing a shot the better. Verbalization doesn't help in any way because it is conscious thought and takes up precious bandwidth. Think of it. If you had to choose a percentage of your subconscious thought to shoot a money shot what would it be? I think we all would answer one hundred percent.

If the conscious mind will not quiet down there has to be an underlying cause. The first thing you do is stand up and walk around the table and ask yourself what does my conscious perceive as a problem here? Your conscious is only speaking up because it sees a problem. Sometimes that perception will be a bodily one in that this doesn't feel right. (If your lining up wrong and you get down on the shot sometimes it feels "Off.") Other times the conscious knows a plan will test your skills to it's limits that ensure success. But the bottom line is you CANNOT ignore it. Like a pink elephant in the room you can't ignore it as it's gnawing at your brain. Ask your self, "What is the problem here?" And TRUTHFULLY answer it!

There are many issues we are concerned about at the table and they cannot be downplayed if the conscious mind keeps bring them up. We must address them. Are you playing on the streamed table? Is this game a must win for the team as they watch intently? Is this a $500 shot? Is that sweet sexy woman watching my every shot? The issues can be endless in what we hold important but sometimes we fool ourselves and say it means nothing. Keep in mind there can be more than one issue. So identify all possible problem's and truthfully answer each one. You will be in the seat at some point and that's a perfect time to answer these questions.

For example, "I know this is the streamed table and hundreds of eyes are watching me but what is the worst case scenario that can play out here? Sure I lose in front of everyone but it doesn't change those things I value more in life. I have played great before and I can now. Strut around the table like this is yours because it is yours...okay I'm ready lets start the preshot routine."

Again don't lie to yourself or those problems will remain in your head. Telling yourself it's just me against this table doesn't help because it's not true. Playing against Effren Reyes on the streamed table to get to a higher cash payout means something on three different issues. Those issues will talk to you continuously in your conscious mind till you shut them up.

It's all easier said than done!

Last edited:

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't give up anything! It's happened to many of us. The best (and profound?) advice I've received is: It's just a game.

Vahmurka

Silver Member
"I didn't feel any excessive pressure, but at the same time I recall I coudn't block my mind from some disctracting thoughts."

I'm curious, can you recall exactly what the distracting thoughts were? Were they images? Were they words? And what were the images or words exactly?
as funny as it seems I was saying to myself the same words I'm used to say lately on the last ball of the rack: "smooth, easy, don't rush, deliver straight right toward the ball", smth like that. Apparently some other thought crossed my mind during that routine as I got some unusual feeling on final cue delivery. But I don't know what kind of distractive thought it was.