Downgrading equipment to play better in the APA

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But if the conditions suck, the cloth is slow, the cueball is heavier, etc., then going down to a small table when you're used to a big table in good condition just plain blows.
LOL :thumbup:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I find the speed control difficult on them
Perhaps due to me playing carom daily
Carom balls bigger then pool balls

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a nice table at home to play on.
But the one up at the shop is in more “rustic” conditions, shall we say....
It has definitely been closer to the playing conditions at the local bar tournament with the dirty dusty condition of the slower cloth, as well as the cheaper set of balls we use “out there” on the slow days...
I think the original poster has a sound approach to dealing with the reality of playing conditions.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Technically, it's heresy. Here is a map of your future retirement community I got from an old guy named Dante. You are destined for the "burning tomb" level about half way down. :grin-devilish:

View attachment 521847

Actually, I think it's fine to try to duplicate competition conditions at home as long as you still find it fun to play on that equipment.

I don't know, there are many sins there. First, playing in the APA, second is changing to cheaper quality balls, third is changing to a worse quality cloth. He's going to the bottom alongside people with blue ferrules.

Using this method is great though, but I would not change my own table for this, just find some rooms with similar equipment. There are just so many ways to end up with bad tables when playing random places in league, not just the lower quality balls and slower cloth but tables not being close to level, dead rails, oversize cueball, pockets cut by some guy with the shakes, etc... You'd have to smash your table in with a bat in several places and toss it around the room to get a prime league environment LOL

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Be sure to drop a few lit cigarettes on the cloth. If you can get someone to puke on it...even better.

Maniac (seen all of that)
Yes, well, it is a bar table :thumbup:

I do like SB's approach. As an LO, if the bar doesn't comply did you try to move the
team or league match to a bar that would comply?
As players we do try to educate the bars as to quality and care of the equipment. It really
helps if the bar owner is a also a player and if the bar owner owns the equipment.
Frequently we find that vendors own the tables and know little about the game and that
the establishments are bar and grills, pool and the equipment is a very secondary
concern.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 79 years old, have been playing pool for 65+ years and this is my first year playing APA and I am enjoying it very much.

BUT, I am playing in a Masters League with no handicaps. I have heard many of the complaints about APA and the sandbaggers and whatever, but there are always complaints in any league play and since APA is the biggest, there figures to be more. I doubt I would play in any of the handicap events myself.

It works at Hard Times in Sacramento. Lots of players at different skill levels and it is a well run league that brings a lot of business to my favorite room, so I know it will be around awhile.
JH, i would imagine that a Masters APA league at a top room like HT's is just a TAD better than what you run into in most spots. Glad you're diggin' it.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, well, it is a bar table :thumbup:

I do like SB's approach. As an LO, if the bar doesn't comply did you try to move the
team or league match to a bar that would comply?
As players we do try to educate the bars as to quality and care of the equipment. It really
helps if the bar owner is a also a player and if the bar owner owns the equipment.
Frequently we find that vendors own the tables and know little about the game and that
the establishments are bar and grills, pool and the equipment is a very secondary
concern.

Yes it is difficult when the establishment does not own the equipment. Vendors are cheap and don't like to spend big bucks on quality cloth.

While our league does not "require" bars to use expensive professional cloth, we "highly recommend" it. I also slightly bend the truth and tell bar owners that the professional cloth that costs twice as much as the cheap cloth lasts twice as long as the cheap cloth, so the overall cost difference is negligible. I honestly don't know how much of a lie this is. It might be the truth. It's not far from the truth, I think. It sounds good.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Tennis anyone?

In the 1980's, Ivan Lendl, a Pro Player from Czech Rep, had won every major except the US Open. He won the French Open (clay court), Wimbledon (grass court), etc. but not the US Open (hard court).

Every year he hoped to win, even when considered the favorite, yet the trophy eluded him.

So, he decided to REPLICATE the exact court from the US Open at his home.

Not only did he track down and hire the exact same Construction company, he even tracked downed and hired the exact CREW that built the courts at the US Open.

They dug 4' deep, and replaced the rocks, limestone, soil, gravel, everything, to be an exact copy of the ground CONDITIONS at the Open. Of course the court surface itself was an exact copy, plus lights, net, paint, everything.

He then WON the U.S. Open - not once, or twice - but THREE times - IN A ROW! 1985, '86 & '87.

So for the OP to replace the cloth to play better at APA? Not so radical.

-von

Last edited: