3rd Party Escrow Avoids Lots Of Problems
Old
  (#31)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

3rd Party Escrow Avoids Lots Of Problems - 05-29-2020, 12:20 AM

It is transactions like this that sadly remind me how nice it would be to use a 3rd party escrow to ensure
everything is as described and the cue’s authenticity is confirmed as well. It adds some delay & addt’l
minor out of pocket costs to the buyer but when you are spending $2k, and often times more, the added
expense is well worth it for peace of mind and assurance that the cue passes muster before you get it.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (05-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (03-85) Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#32)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-29-2020, 12:22 AM

One time I sold a pretty rare Huebler custom shop Ivory Chess cue that was brand new, at a low price. When I was checking it for shipment, I realized it rolled with a pretty bad wop wop- although when I checked beore it was pretty straight. I was horrified and emailed the buyer. He said he still wanted it so I cut the price by a lot. Turned out I had cross threaded the stupid nylon insert. He had it fixed and we were good. But the case that came with it smelled like cherry cigars. That guy still wanted it too. That was one of the worst sales I ever had. The guy was so nice about it, I felt like a total jerk. I offered his money back but he just kept it and tried to get rid of the smell, I guess for several years, but as they say "no cigar".

Sometimes sales are just snakebit.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 05-29-2020 at 12:36 AM.

Old
  (#33)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-29-2020, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCueHunter View Post
Nick sold me a Scruggs one time with supposed 2 original shafts. I got the cue and one shafts was so far from original, or even a Scruggs shaft it wasn’t funny. I told him...he said he put the wrong one in the box, but already sold it and it was tough luck because he gave a great deal.....I have no sympathy.
The world comes full circle

Old
  (#34)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member
Ratamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
I understand that one cannot dispute a purchase with pay pal. However, one can use a credit card for ANY pay pal payment, and laws will allow one to dispute a payment within 60 days via your credit card, even if you cannot dispute through pay pal because you paid via F&F.

It is ALWAYS buyer beware, so I think ALWAYS pay with some form of legal protection- either regular pay pal ( even if you absorb the fee) or a credit card backup on your pay pal. Without either; you can get into the situation as the OP describes above- sorry to hear- hope it resolves for you.
I’m not sure a credit card backup works. It normally doesn’t here across the pond. To avail yourself of what we call the Section 75 protection, there has to be a direct creditor-customer-supplier relationship. Paying via an agency is specifically excluded. Paypal is not a supplier but a payment agent so if you are putting in your CC details into paypal to pay, the direct debtor-creditor-supplier relationship is broken and it therefore kicks you out of the s75 mechanism. An exception to this is where a buyer uses Paypal Credit or where a seller uses paypal as an acquirer (which means it acts as a traditional payment processor).

You will have to check the US position on this.

Is there a Financial Ombudsman or similar in the US ?

Even if one paid with a debit card, a chargeback option may still be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#35)
Tooler
Inside Engrish Prease
Tooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

05-29-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Nick sold me a Scruggs one time with supposed 2 original shafts. I got the cue and one shafts was so far from original, or even a Scruggs shaft it wasn’t funny. I told him...he said he put the wrong one in the box, but already sold it and it was tough luck because he gave a great deal.....I have no sympathy.
That's Karma......

Why would anyone use F/F when purchasing a cue through Paypal from an unknown...? Not a real bright choice. I would like to know who the seller was. Is it a secret?

If it was done through FB, I would be damned sure that everyone knew what they are dealing with, with Mr. Banana.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Playing cues: Big-Pin Ivory Scruggs
Judd Wrapless (Still the All Time Fav).
Cue Case: Whitten 2x4
Tip: Searing (Hard)
Fav shaft: Gulyassy SPTX(whip it good)

Old
  (#36)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's about par for the course

Snowflakes in Hawaii meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
This may sound smug on my part

Old
  (#37)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2020, 07:40 AM

there is always more to the story when only one side presents it.

but as we all should know it is buyer beware and unless you have it in writing you have no recourse for anything that happens during the sale once you receive the goods.

if what the cue hunter said was entirely accurate then nick got the same as he gave out but worse as he acknowledged his mistake and didnt rectify it. just justified it by saying you got a good deal.

as said do a third party escrow and if you dont,, certainly make the transaction so you have some way to negate it. and if you do f&f with pay pal, you are cheating them and deserve what you get.

Old
  (#38)
jimmyco
NRA4Life

jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2020, 08:11 AM

Questiion on escrow.

Is the escrow service bonded and are they accountable for errors they may make?

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#39)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2020, 08:19 AM

of course not its just a trusted person or a small company that helps give both parties an unbiased decision. the either party can with draw before the money is sent out.

if they were bonded and responsible you would pay way more than you would want to.

basically if you want to be completely protected buy in person or from a real store.

people buy off the internet from strangers because they are trying to get a steal.
and they pay f&f because they think they can cheat paypal out of their commission for their service to you.

Old
  (#40)
jimmyco
NRA4Life

jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2020, 08:54 AM

I see.

So in this case, the buyer would have a valued opinion on condition and could decide to proceed or cancel.

Thank you.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#41)
bmeek
Registered
bmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond reputebmeek has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2020, 09:02 AM

Hey Nick, let's see how bad the roll is. Could it have possibly developed the warp in shipping, where it would be subject to different climates? I would think an initial inspection would have been sufficient to notice any damage or warp in the cue, telling the seller initially that you liked it would make them inclined to think you had buyer's remorse. Furthermore, this post helps nobody without telling us who the seller was.

Old
  (#42)
maha
from way back when

05-29-2020, 09:22 AM

yea the 3rd party who is qualified gives his opinion on the deal depending on what he is asked to do by both parties. then the buyer or seller can proceed from there and the 3rd party follows their wishes and its final.

Old
  (#43)
TWOFORPOOL
AzB Silver Member
TWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond reputeTWOFORPOOL has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-29-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick serdula View Post
The cue was described as dead straight. It is a big banana. Bananas! Big banana. Could be worse. A few stick pimps want it.as described. I might loose a couple two-three hundred. I have to ask. The logic here.of the seller you bought just what you wanted to. Forget he lied his azz off about the straight thing. And if you work for a living three days is normal return time period some even as long as 30 days. He agreed all the time . No problem let me know. Then oh your money? I don't have it.
Selling a cue as straight only to find out its warped is not good at all. I would tell the seller to take it back and if he didn't I would let everybody know so somebody else doesn't get ripped off.

Playing Cue: Jim Pierce with Danielson SS360/2 Shaft
Break Cue: Sowder
Jump Cue: Sowder
Case: Rusty JB Case
Playing Time: 5 Hours Week

Originally posted by Richardson:

Magic rack + 9 ball + pattern racking is not a game, its a drill.

Last edited by TWOFORPOOL; 05-30-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Old
  (#44)
cuesblues
cue accumulator

cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

05-29-2020, 09:44 AM

I'm working with a guy who bought a cue from me after the shutdown and couldn't try it out.
Now that he is playing again, the cue is too heavy for him.

Playability is not necessarily something the seller has to worry about
The cue is exactly as described
My specs were clearly laid out

The cue is a little on the heavy side 19.5 to 20 oz. depending on which of 4 shafts selected.
If I can get him a different cue without it costing me anything, what the heck.
Don't think I would just refund the money at this point.

As far as Nicks warped cue, I highly doubt the cue warped during or after shipping.
I've heard that for years and feel it is a copout.
I have seen guys who don't notice a roll in the butt, but I have never had a cue warp during shipping
2 or 3 days isn't that long for a response from Nick, but the way people are with
money I like to contact them about 5 minutes after I unwrap the cue, maybe 10 minutes
especially if there are more than one cue.

player...Paul Mottey, Joel Hercek, Larry Vigus
player...Barry Szamboti, South West, Tascarella
player...A-E, Lomax, Eddie Cohen Terry McFadden
player...Harvey Martin, Bob Frey, Kent Davis, Runde
player...Bob Owen, Paul Drexler, Woodworth
player...Dave Jones, Predator, Loveland Customs
breaker.Judd Fuller
jumper..Jacoby Jumper
shooter..Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter.....Spyderco Massad Ayoob

Old
  (#45)
Buster8001
Did you say shrubberies?
Buster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond reputeBuster8001 has a reputation beyond repute

05-29-2020, 09:52 AM

Couple points:

Straight, as a term used in pool cues, is subjective. How many shafts have you turned on a lathe and they run 100% true. I have shafts from all over and none of them are 100% true. So, what was defined as "dead straight"? Does the shaft have a taper roll? Does it look like a dog's hind leg? Or, was it the butt that's "a banana"? A warped butt could be a much bigger problem. Or, it could just be the facing. You're not giving us enough details.

Secondly, the comment about buyers being cheap because they don't want to cover the 4% PayPal fees is bullshit. It's not the buyers responsibility to pay for the sellers fees for using PayPal as a service. If the seller is willing to lose my money/sale because they're too cheap to cover their own fees, that's their baggage. Furthermore, I then report the seller for trying to force those fees on me, and I hope they're banned from using PayPal.

"Eight ball up her thight!"
-Kung Fu Master-

"Pool is an analog game in a digital world."
-Chuck Fields-

Page 3 of 10 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: