Warm up strokes

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
I hear many instructors talk about the importance of warm up strokes but I have heard at least two very knowledge instructors refer to this process as "fiddling" which seems to minimize the importance. The stroking seems to take me out of my game and I lose the focus. I would rather just take maybe one or two warm up strokes, stop at the cue, draw back slowly and smoothly and follow through at my predetermined speed. Is this a matter of preference?:confused:

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
For me personally, warm up strokes are not only important for visualizing the speed of the shot (which you should have already decided before bending down on the table) and where exactly on the cueball you want to struck, but they are also your only opportunity to relax and focus before execution. Others have also noted that similar warmup strokes (or similar anything) can trigger muscle memory for better eye-body coordination. It's like sending a signal to your central nervous system to perform a familiarized task.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I think you are right on track. Let's put each term into a "meaning".

FIDDLING: As in golf, fiddling might be those quick little nervous ticks. Many players might find them very comfortable while others may find them distracting. I like them!

WARM-UPS: Whether long or short, fast or slow, warm-up strokes may have two real purposes. The number of warm-ups is very individual. Once a player establishes that number, it should always be repeated.
1. Relieve the Triceps/Biceps tension.
2. Assure the brain about an absolute strike position on the cue ball.

As is Nelldrake, I have a pre-set, aim, two warm-ups, a final set and then my delivery process takes over.

Great post,
randyg

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
For me personally, warm up strokes are not only important for visualizing the speed of the shot (which you should have already decided before bending down on the table) and where exactly on the cueball you want to struck, but they are also your only opportunity to relax and focus before execution. Others have also noted that similar warmup strokes (or similar anything) can trigger muscle memory for better eye-body coordination. It's like sending a signal to your central nervous system to perform a familiarized task.

OUTSTANDING......:thumbup:
randyg

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
Thanks, Randy. I read all your responses that I come across and find them very insightful and dead-on. I wish I lived closer to you. I would love some instruction.
Nell

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Thanks, Randy. I read all your responses that I come across and find them very insightful and dead-on. I wish I lived closer to you. I would love some instruction.
Nell

I travel every month.

What City do you live in?

I may be closer than you think.

Thanks for the compliment.
randyg

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Nell, you and I have talked before...but if you can catch Randy in your area, you should take advantage of it. My offer still stands as well.

Steve

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
Warm up strokes also allow your to verify that your stroke is moving straight and true every time it moves back and forwards. If not, you can make adjustments to get it right.

thejeffcho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WARM-UPS: Whether long or short, fast or slow, warm-up strokes may have two real purposes. The number of warm-ups is very individual. Once a player establishes that number, it should always be repeated.
1. Relieve the Triceps/Biceps tension.
2. Assure the brain about an absolute strike position on the cue ball.

As is Nelldrake, I have a pre-set, aim, two warm-ups, a final set and then my delivery process takes over.

Great post,
randyg

So, is it better to have a set # of warm-up strokes for every shot, easy or hard? I've always felt that on a shot that's right on the border of my comfort zone, it helps me to take a few more practice strokes to zero in on whatever aspect (e.g. OB aiming point, speed, CB contact point, etc.) I need to focus on on that particular shot.

I do however end every practice session with a rack where I just go with 1 or 2 practice strokes then fire--just to loosen up and make belief I'm in dead stroke!

cho

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
thejeffcho:
but this could cause that you re *too long* down for the shot. If you re takin too much time while your down for your shot your *bad* part of the brain will appear ....and then you ll think about what RandyG shown up here in some postings^^

Think before shooting and shoot without thinking is also important if we talk about the PSR. When you re going down for your shot you already done all the things about thinking and your re usualy sure what to do. So no need to spend extra time while your re executing.

lg
Ingo

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
So, is it better to have a set # of warm-up strokes for every shot, easy or hard? I've always felt that on a shot that's right on the border of my comfort zone, it helps me to take a few more practice strokes to zero in on whatever aspect (e.g. OB aiming point, speed, CB contact point, etc.) I need to focus on on that particular shot.

I do however end every practice session with a rack where I just go with 1 or 2 practice strokes then fire--just to loosen up and make belief I'm in dead stroke!

cho

Why would I classify a shot as easy or hard? To me they are the same. Same rhythm, same routine and same warm-up strokes. Keeps my brain "shut down".
randyg

TurdFerguson

Registered
I teach as well, and see some excellent responses here, to a meddling question.

I would summarize by saying that the stroke is not so much as your arm stroking, as it is your brain stroking. As you approach the table, and decide how you will hit a ball, you need to solidfy, or "assure" (as RandyG pointed out) your brain, and allow it to focus on exactly what it is you are doing. This is now accomplished by "stroking" the shot.

The number of strokes an individual will become comfortable with is unique, and can change based on the mental rhythms of the player.

The key is to get in tune with your mental focus. If you are thinking about your arm at this point, all is lost...you are not stroking. The word triggers one to think of physical movement rather tham mental, but it is mental connection to the shot you need, the stroke should allow you to "feel" how hard and where you will be hitting the ball.

Once you get very accustomed to your own feel, the stroke will also allow your brain to trigger an alarm if something "feels" wrong.

Some students respond to trigger thoughts as they stroke..." I am going to hit it there, this hard..." "I am going to hit it there, this hard"..."I am going to hit it there, this hard"....I AM GOING TO HIT IT THERE, THIS HARD"....wham

The "stroke" of the arm is also crucial, but I am assuming you are past looking for a simple stance and stroke, and a totally basic concept compared to "stroking" the shot.

It is like "follow thru". Many people think they have to follow the cuetip thru the cue ball, when actually you only need it to be accelerating at the point of impact to have "follow thru".

Hope I added something to help you understand your dilemma.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TurdFerguson...Since you teach as well, you should know that in the best PSR's, the number of warm ups in a person's "warm up cycle" should always be the same, and not change [there are certainly too few (none) and too many (<4) warmups..although we see many contradictions in real world play]. That is to say that someone with a 2-stroke warmup cycle may repeat their cycle any number of times (with a pause at the CB after each cycle). The concept behind all this is to create a mental and physical routine that can be trained into the subconscious mind, so that it may be done without thinking. In order to achieve this, it is necessary to do the same 'routine' each and every time...which includes the same number of warm ups.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I teach as well, and see some excellent responses here, to a meddling question.

The number of strokes an individual will become comfortable with is unique, and can change based on the mental rhythms of the player.

berlowmj2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allison Fischer

I hear many instructors talk about the importance of warm up strokes but I have heard at least two very knowledge instructors refer to this process as "fiddling" which seems to minimize the importance. The stroking seems to take me out of my game and I lose the focus. I would rather just take maybe one or two warm up strokes, stop at the cue, draw back slowly and smoothly and follow through at my predetermined speed. Is this a matter of preference?:confused:

Use tivo to record her on ESPN & you can readily see her warm up strokes.

Freeze frame, rewind etc.

Her warm up strokes, pause, follow through are quite visible.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, without getting into "what feels good do it" or right & wrong sort of discussion. What I do when doing well is set the tip @ the contact point then take 3 or 4 fairly rapid strokes then slow the pace checking for accuracy 3 or 4, pause @ the CB then deliver.

I'm giving a range cause I don't remember exactly the count. I just get into the rhythm but haven't counted them in years and haven't played in months.

If we count all my warm ups its 7 or 8. Do you view the rapid ones of minimal or no benefit?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom...No, I would call the rapid strokes "fiddling", as randyg described it (I call them 'aiming strokes', which are different than 'warm ups')...and the slower, more deliberate ones are your actual warm up swings. In the 'fiddling/aiming' process the eyes can shift back and forth slowly or rapidly, as much as you choose. When doing the actual warm up cycle, the eyes should remain stationary, always on the CB. I am in agreement with randyg that whatever the number is, it should be consistent, regardless of the shot...and ALL good shooting PSR's demand a pause (or what we call "Set") at the CB, prior to pulling the trigger. On another note, I noticed your picture in a recent group photo of a 3-C event! Congratulations! :grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott, without getting into "what feels good do it" or right & wrong sort of discussion. What I do when doing well is set the tip @ the contact point then take 3 or 4 fairly rapid strokes then slow the pace checking for accuracy 3 or 4, pause @ the CB then deliver.

I'm giving a range cause I don't remember exactly the count. I just get into the rhythm but haven't counted them in years and haven't played in months.

If we count all my warm ups its 7 or 8. Do you view the rapid ones of minimal or no benefit?

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom...No, I would call the rapid strokes "fiddling", as randyg described it (I call them 'aiming strokes', which are different than 'warm ups')...and the slower, more deliberate ones are your actual warm up swings. In the 'fiddling/aiming' process the eyes can shift back and forth slowly or rapidly, as much as you choose. When doing the actual warm up cycle, the eyes should remain stationary, always on the CB. I am in agreement with randyg that whatever the number is, it should be consistent, regardless of the shot...and ALL good shooting PSR's demand a pause (or what we call "Set") at the CB, prior to pulling the trigger. On another note, I noticed your picture in a recent group photo of a 3-C event! Congratulations! :grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Cool, I like fiddling.

And thanks for the congrats. But should have done better. I don't play much anymore and crammed for this test the week prior and that didn't work out too well. Should have had 3rd or 4th and with some luck 2nd. SO MANY shots missed by a hair. Oh well it was fun seeing all the guys again. That's what really counts.

"If I wanted a trophy I could go and buy one."
M. Fats

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
hmmm

I agree with Scott and Randy. I think a big reason for keeping the same number of practice strokes is to "trick" the mind there is no difference between so called easy shots and the tough ones. Each shot should have the same routine.

This is why many players miss some easy shoots from time to time, because they took it for granted, and didn't really do any practive strokes and just assumed they had the right spot of the cb.

And on the tough or long shots, many folks start doing too many practice strokes, and then it becomes "fiddling" instead of practice strokes. And each extra practice stroke is putting more and more doubt in your mind. Then you start to be aware of just how important this shot is, and you start to feel your teammates eyes upon you, and soon the pressure builds, and then you shank it.

You don't want your brain to really differentiate between the so called easy shots and the hard shots. They are all the same as long you aimed it correctly and completed your pre-shot routine, the only thing left is to pull the trigger. Not a good time for more "thinking" when you are about to pull the trigger, just "hit your finish"....

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think people start to get in trouble with warmup strokes when they are down on the shot and still deciding what to do. To my knowledge, pros do vary their warmup strokes, depending on the shot, and what they need to do to prepare to shoot it. I don't recall any pro who takes the exact same number of warmup strokes on every shot.

But the important thing is to be committed to your decision before you get down on your shot. Then your warmup strokes will be all about preparing for the shot rather than deciding what to do. I believe that some shots do require a little more warmup than other shots ---For example: For a particular finesse shot, a player may need to stroke a few extra times to calibrate his back hand grip tension, and so-on.

Last edited: