Why the low turnout at the CSI US Open One Pocket

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Wow, CSI hosts a $5K added US Open One Pocket Event and only 16 players show up! Full field was 48. Where are all the one pocket players that tout their one pocket as the greatest game? Was there a "Dukes of Hazzard" Marathon on the Discovery channel this week? This could be the last US Open One Pocket event...why bother!

Wedge

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, CSI hosts a $5K added US Open One Pocket Event and only 16 players show up! Full field was 48. Where are all the one pocket players that tout their one pocket as the greatest game? Was there a "Dukes of Hazzard" Marathon on the Discovery channel this week? This could be the last US Open One Pocket event...why bother!

Wedge

You would think with it backing right up to the Expo it would be great for the touring pros but not so much for the regular folks. Most people can only get away from " real " life for a certain amount of time at a clip. I think as someone said with it only being announced in Feb that probably had the biggest effect on attendance. Most people need time to make plans.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Wedge

Pretty sure it's a logistics thing.... Mark took a shot and the location and timing on the back of SBE should have worked out well to fill the field....

I think it being the first time it was done in that area and the fact that it likely needed more ramp up time than they had for getting everyone committed to being there hurt...

I know I had intentions of going but after being at SBE and being worn down all I wanted was to get home and crawl in my bed.....

The road is not for us old guys......

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who knows if this will be the last U.S. Open One Pocket, but I think it hurt the event to put it in Connecticut.

I am from St. Louis, MO--good luck matching up a 9 ball game here. Everyone plays one pocket and not much else, maybe a little bit of 7ft table 9 ball action.

I think the Midwest, South, and some Western portions of the U.S. are more into 1 hole. I think it would have been smarter to put the tournament closer to large populations of one pocket players and fans.

Had it been closer to me, with a full field of killers, I would have likely attended as a fan.

Just my 0.02

kollegedave

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in the heart of the midwest....One Pocket is quite popular....I offered to host it and add $5000.

No doubt in my mind that the Midwest would have drawn 20-30 AMATEURS. Add the pros who would have shown up and you have a nice event.

Here in the heart of the midwest....One Pocket is quite popular....I offered to host it and add $5000.

No doubt in my mind that the Midwest would have drawn 20-30 AMATEURS. Add the pros who would have shown up and you have a nice event.

So, I wonder why it needed to be held in the North East, and not the mid west, where it would have gotten a much stronger turn out .

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wedge

Holding it in New England; two months notice; weekday event; misunderstanding re: the payout.

Lou Figueroa
for starters

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Absolutely. One of the last events at Shooters had 50+ 1pocket players.

As kollegedave alluded to: 1pocket is the game of choice here in the Midwest, so right off the bat there is a base of players and fans. Then consider how many players could *drive* to an event and you've got guys coming in from the greater St. Louis region, Chicago, KS, OKC, Tulsa, Houston, Ohio, and Louisville. Many of those that might have to fly into STL could probably do so without connections.

Doesn't hurt that Rich/Teacherman runs the best room in St. Louis, sporting blue label Diamonds.

Lou Figueroa

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it primarily held there to have it together with their US Open 14.1 which is at least logically more suited to be held in the NY/New England area rather than a 1P event?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely. One of the last events at Shooters had 50+ 1pocket players.

As kollegedave alluded to: 1pocket is the game of choice here in the Midwest, so right off the bat there is a base of players and fans. Then consider how many players could *drive* to an event and you've got guys coming in from the greater St. Louis region, Chicago, KS, OKC, Tulsa, Houston, Ohio, and Louisville. Many of those that might have to fly into STL could probably do so without connections.

Doesn't hurt that Rich/Teacherman runs the best room in St. Louis, sporting blue label Diamonds.

Lou Figueroa

All true, but, unless things have changed since the last Ice Age... Washington(DC),
Baltimore and Philly are absolutely crawling with One Pocket players. Throw in
NYC and New Jersey and you've got a mob of them.

Dale

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I would think that Mark Griffin was considering the straight pool angle....
....the East has produced the most 14.1 champions...I'm pretty sure.

I hope Mark gives this event some time...
...to me, it takes three years to make it a date on pool player's calendars.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Maybe most of the dead wood has figured out it's a lose-lose deal to pay large entry fees and travel to try to cash. 14.1 entry $600 WTF. Johnnyt

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All true, but, unless things have changed since the last Ice Age... Washington(DC),

Dale

I can vouch for this to be the case in Bmore I'd say one pocket easily tops 9 ball action and has for quite some time.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dale

ah, yah. So where is they for this event?! In St. Louis you could hold this any old time and still double the entry they got in CT.

Lou Figueroa

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Perhaps Lou

ah, yah. So where is they for this event?! In St. Louis you could hold this any old time and still double the entry they got in CT.

Lou Figueroa

You should get a group of one pocket officianato's in the St Louis area to buy the rights to the US Open One Pocket from CSI. Then you could hold it where ever you want and make tons of money.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should get a group of one pocket officianato's in the St Louis area to buy the rights to the US Open One Pocket from CSI. Then you could hold it where ever you want and make tons of money.

So do you disagree that a 1P event in St Louis would easily outdraw one in Windsor Locks, CT? :rolleyes:

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Nope

So do you disagree that a 1P event in St Louis would easily outdraw one in Windsor Locks, CT? :rolleyes:

Totally agree. However people like to second guess a lot when they have zero money at stake. Rather than a lot of talk out of the Midwest someone should make CSI an offer.