SVB's world titles

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best way to judge who the best player in the world is:
Look at their bank account. SVB is highly likely to be at the very top in the pool world(Snooker not included).

Hmm, there's an argument for that, but I'd politely disagree that shows who's the best, that merely shows who's got the most left! Also, you could have a 17 rockstar pool player, who's won very little, but is the most talented guy on the planet, capable of beating everyone and a 60 year old, once great player, who is likely to have a much healthier bank balance.

I'd also guess some of the Asian players probably have very healthy bank balances (just a hunch, I suspect there is probably some good money involved over there, not sure if thats true or not).

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread reminds me of the Beijing Olympics when the US media claimed victory for the US with the most total medals rather than most gold medals.

I don't see an issue with that, to see which area is best. If Japan had 20 events they were in and had 3 top 3 medals but all were gold medals, and US in those 20 events had 1 gold, 3 silvers and 5 bronze, I would say US did better.

This should only be counted event by event. If a country was in 30 events and the US was in 50, with both medaling 5 times, clearly the one that was in 30 events did better.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has the #1 Fargorate in the world at 820 at this time. I just stumbled upon this quote from Magnus Carlsen, the highest rated chess player ever:

"For me right now I think being the world number one is a bigger deal than being the world champion because I think it shows better who plays the best chess. That sounds self-serving but I think it’s also right."

There is a quote from Incardona in an Accu-Stats match that fits. I think they were talking about Bustamante and his lack of tournament wins compared to other great players. He said "maybe it's like in baseball, you got a pitcher with a lot of wins per season, but he may not have the best stuff. The guy with the best stuff may throw better (harder for example) but for whatever reason he can't get the most wins".

So it's not always the best players that win the best tournaments but the best players will still be up there in rank.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That looks familiar - I’m sure I read that but had forgotten it.

I’d love to see some kind of metric for how tough a tournament is to win. I’m sure you could get really fancy by looking at how many matches you’d have to win and the probability of winning them, like they do for other sports. Pick a rating, like 800, and estimate the chance of that player winning the tournament, given parameters like race length, etc. Or the SVB index: the probability that SVB would win the tournament if he entered: “The US Open has a SVB index of 25%.” :thumbup:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That looks familiar - I’m sure I read that but had forgotten it.

I’d love to see some kind of metric for how tough a tournament is to win. I’m sure you could get really fancy by looking at how many matches you’d have to win and the probability of winning them, like they do for other sports. Pick a rating, like 800, and estimate the chance of that player winning the tournament, given parameters like race length, etc. Or the SVB index: the probability that SVB would win the tournament if he entered: “The US Open has a SVB index of 25%.” :thumbup:

There is a metric...its called betting odds ;-)

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Again, we're not talking about prestige, we're talking about difficulty.

Either or you decide.
17 days over long races of multiples sessions all live TV against the worlds proven best with a million dollar payday.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm, there's an argument for that, but I'd politely disagree that shows who's the best, that merely shows who's got the most left! Also, you could have a 17 rockstar pool player, who's won very little, but is the most talented guy on the planet, capable of beating everyone and a 60 year old, once great player, who is likely to have a much healthier bank balance.

I'd also guess some of the Asian players probably have very healthy bank balances (just a hunch, I suspect there is probably some good money involved over there, not sure if thats true or not).

Name the 60 year olds from the U.S with a healthy bank acct

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Shane’s Fargo rating makes one want to bet on him...especially at ten-ball...with anyone.

But you guys can rationalize all you want...

.... I want him to win a world title....
....and guess who wants him to win a world title even more...
..Shane van Boening

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane’s Fargo rating makes one want to bet on him...especially at ten-ball...with anyone.

But you guys can rationalize all you want...

.... I want him to win a world title....
....and guess who wants him to win a world title even more...
..Shane van Boening

LOL Shane's been the bet long before Fargo has been opened to the public and I can assure the only time you will hear Fargo rate mentioned in big gambling is if they are looking for suckers

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Ok, let's use your logic that US Open is more difficult. So if it is then why did SVB won more than one US Open crown and never a World Championship if it is easier to win?

I said becoming the number 1 ranked player in the world was more difficult than winning a world championship.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I said becoming the number 1 ranked player in the world was more difficult than winning a world championship.

I think Peach is proof of that....but it’s a title he can take to his grave.
...I’m pretty sure that Shane doesn’t want to be known as the best player that never won
a world championship.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you are right if you look at the US Open on average over many years. But the new US Open 9-Ball with the $1000 entry is a different beast. Last Fall it had 27 of the top 30 rated players in the world. We have not found another tournament in the last three years that had as strong a field. Here is a comparison to World 9-Ball

Damn facts and stuff. How can a playa ever prove that Shane sucks if you keep posting facts?

Single elimination short races....LOL.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But the new US Open 9-Ball with the $1000 entry is a different beast. Last Fall it had 27 of the top 30 rated players in the world. We have not found another tournament in the last three years that had as strong a field. Here is a comparison to World 9-Ball

Shane didn't win last year.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Don't say that too loudly around Jimmy.;)

6 times world finalist but when they talk about all time greats he almost never enters the conversation and Hendry still holds the accolade of best ever simply based on 7 world titles.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6 times world finalist but when they talk about all time greats he almost never enters the conversation and Hendry still holds the accolade of best ever simply based on 7 world titles.

Jimmy White was a great entertainer and a great talent, but didn't deliver (for many reasons, his autobiography is well worth a read).

Hendry is widely regarded as the greatest, not just because of his 7 World titles (although that in itself would probably be enough), but also because of the way he completely changed the game with his aggressive play, his consistent break building, ruthlessness and many other ranking tournaments (plus plenty of non ranking tournaments).

In the 1990's, he was virtually unbeatable.