SVB's world titles

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does SVB have to win a world title to be considered the best? When some that have won a world title were not considered the best at that time.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Why does SVB have to win a world title to be considered the best? When some that have won a world title were not considered the best at that time.

I don't think Shane has to win a world title to be considered the best player in the world. I do tend to think that for any player who doesn't win a world title it will be more difficult to make the case that they are on the short list of all-time greats.

To answer the question in your post, some argue that winning a world title is necessary to be considered among the greatest of all-time, or to be considered the greatest of all time, but obviously it doesn't follow from the fact that someone has won a world title that they are even the best player in the world at that time.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When will they start holding a world championship tournament in the US again? When I look at say Earl's world championships they were in the US against tour regulars that he was already beating on.

I think his last "World Championship" was held in the UK.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't think Shane has to win a world title to be considered the best player in the world. I do tend to think that for any player who doesn't win a world title it will be more difficult to make the case that they are on the short list of all-time greats.

To answer the question in your post, some argue that winning a world title is necessary to be considered among the greatest of all-time, or to be considered the greatest of all time, but obviously it doesn't follow from the fact that someone has won a world title that they are even the best player in the world at that time.

I don’t think you could ever be considered the GOAT without a world title.
....he needs more than one for his legacy.

Otherwise, he’ll be remembered as the best player who never won a world title....
....like Busty almost was.

C’mon Shane!!!

racetoday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB competes in the China Open this coming week which has I think most of the top players in the world are in it. Will be interesting to see how he does, especially considering he's won his last 3 tournaments he's competed in.

I will say, I have noticed that on average, his game appears to fall down a notch or two once he leaves the USA. All players make mistakes, himself included, but it seems he makes extra mistakes offshore. I wonder if his stats reflect this casual observance ?

He talked about in an interview a while back.... said sometimes he just doesn't feel comfortable overseas and he was not sure why. (Food, time, familiarity, etc..) I think he was considering going over their earlier to get more accumulated to wherever he was going. Maybe arrive a week early for a tournament might help him.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say, I have noticed that on average, his game appears to fall down a notch or two once he leaves the USA. All players make mistakes, himself included, but it seems he makes extra mistakes offshore. I wonder if his stats reflect this casual observance ?

Mike Page of Fargorate published a note on Facebook a few days ago, and Shane has a higher performance overseas than in the US. The fact that he came in 2nd the past two World 9-ball championships is amazing, definitely more impressive than winning it once.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Page of Fargorate published a note on Facebook a few days ago, and Shane has a higher performance overseas than in the US. The fact that he came in 2nd the past two World 9-ball championships is amazing, definitely more impressive than winning it once.

A great effort yes.

More impressive than winning it once...no chance.

Ask any player whether they would rather finish 2nd twice (or even 10 times) or win it once.

100% will opt for the latter.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A great effort yes.

Ask any player whether they would rather finish 2nd twice (or even 10 times) or win it once.

I bet every one of them would pick what would yield the most cash, and that seems to be the 10 2nd's.

You can't eat accolades.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Has some great titles and he's a legend of the game, but he hasn't prevailed over the game's most difficult internationally balanced fields and it's a significant hole in his career resume.

Anyone who thinks that the US Open fields of the last twenty years are, on average, as tough as the World Championships fields is just plain uninformed.

If you look as the game's biggest ever paydays, Efren won the All Japan Championships when the first prize was about $180,000 and he won two of the huge purse IPT events including the one that carried a first prize of $500,000. And yes, Efren has won a World 9-ball championship. In the very biggest spots, SVB's record pales compared to Efren's.

Not to take anything away from Efren but Efren would have big problems in today's ten ball world.

SVB is clearly a better ten ball player than Efren ever was. Regarding holes in his resume I don't see any.

There is an international presence at the US open Nine Ball tournament.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A great effort yes.

Sure, but that's just because there's an improper perception of what indicates success. If winning once requires winning 12 matches, and coming in second twice requires winning 11 + 11 = 22 matches, the latter is more impressive than the former.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Sure, but that's just because there's an improper perception of what indicates success. If winning once requires winning 12 matches, and coming in second twice requires winning 11 + 11 = 22 matches, the latter is more impressive than the former.

Maybe you could console Jimmy White lol

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
That's not the question... lol

A great effort yes.

You can't compare those that way. What one desires and what is more impressive are horses of a different color.

You can desire to win one world championship over coming in second twice in a row and it still be more impressive to come in second twice. Those are not mutually exclusive statements.

Jaden

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet every one of them would pick what would yield the most cash, and that seems to be the 10 2nd's.

You can't eat accolades.

Sadly you may be correct, but I suspect that's not the case for European and Asian players to the same extent (not sure why, it just seems to be that all the stories of players sleeping in cars etc. are US based).

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Its not...you could beat me 100 times in a row.

You could then beat SVB once.

I don't think there's any question which is more impressive.

Plenty of good players get to finals, very few win them, 2nd place is just the best loser, there is a massive difference.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't compare those that way. What one desires and what is more impressive are horses of a different color.

You can desire to win one world championship over coming in second twice in a row and it still be more impressive to come in second twice. Those are not mutually exclusive statements.

Jaden

Fair point, but it is more impressive to win once, than come second twice in the world of professional sport.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly you may be correct, but I suspect that's not the case for European and Asian players to the same extent (not sure why, it just seems to be that all the stories of players sleeping in cars etc. are US based).

I agree with you on this one,i dont think there are many top european players who would trade one world championships title for two or even three runner-up finishes,the pride of being world champion combined with benefits from his/her national federation and/or the governement would definitely outweight monetary benefit from 2-3 runner-up finishes ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not to take anything away from Efren but Efren would have big problems in today's ten ball world.

SVB is clearly a better ten ball player than Efren ever was. Regarding holes in his resume I don't see any.

There is an international presence at the US open Nine Ball tournament.

Good post.

Agreed that SVB is better at 10-ball than Efren ever was, and I'm absolutely willing to consider the possibility that SVB is the best ever at 10-ball, a game not played much in competition until the last fifteen years or so --- hence not a game in which he can be compared to most of the BCA Hall of Famers. Nearly all the big events in pool are nine ball, though, and that is the game that is the true measure of champions these days.

Yes, there is an international presence at the US Open, and a few of them have had truly elite internationally diverse fields and some have not. But, in most years, the US Open does not attract many of the top internationals and the WPA events get much stronger fields of 128 with little to no dead money. There really is no comparison.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
A great effort yes.

The fact that players would prefer to win the title once than to finish second twice doesn't mean they think it's more impressive to win the title once than to finish second twice. I think it's harder to do the latter.