League night: Carrying the team?

Razor37

Registered
Question: if you are the best player on the team (by skill level, winning percentage, MVP) and some of your teammates have trouble sometimes making a straight in shot with ball in hand, do you still play your best or save it for when it is needed the most?

I find that I will play 1-2 innings per game on average but play a 5,6 or 7 inning match with B&Rs when I need to. Maybe I don't want to risk opening the table up to my opponent. My opponents notice the difference.

Tell me your stories.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always play your best or you will not continue to improve.
I hear alot about people who say they didnt try because they were way better then their opponent. Most of the time they dont realize that if they DID play as good as they think they do, then 5-6 innings would never happen.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
So what youre actually saying is... "Should i play my best or should i sandbag?"

Always play your best. Be better than all the other league bangers. You will not get any better if you are not challenged. If you do not want to play better, than why play at all? If youre playing a dead lock win for you, challenge yourself to run out every rack; or to control the table the entire match, or to make 0 errors.

If youre that poor that you have to sandbag for 4 months just to win a trip to vegas, then save your weekly league fees, your quarters, beer money, and most of all, your dignity and not play league. Youll have enough money for a roundtrip ticket to vegas and still have your backbone.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
So what youre actually saying is... "Should i play my best or should i sandbag?"

Always play your best. Be better than all the other league bangers. You will not get any better if you are not challenged. If you do not want to play better, than why play at all? If youre playing a dead lock win for you, challenge yourself to run out every rack; or to control the table the entire match, or to make 0 errors.

If youre that poor that you have to sandbag for 4 months just to win a trip to vegas, then save your weekly league fees, your quarters, beer money, and most of all, your dignity and not play league. Youll have enough money for a roundtrip ticket to vegas and still have your backbone.

There you have it. The truth.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Have pride, shoot to win every time you step to the table. (only exception is letting you kid win sometimes because it's worth the smile on his face )

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question: if you are the best player on the team (by skill level, winning percentage, MVP) and some of your teammates have trouble sometimes making a straight in shot with ball in hand, do you still play your best or save it for when it is needed the most?

I find that I will play 1-2 innings per game on average but play a 5,6 or 7 inning match with B&Rs when I need to. Maybe I don't want to risk opening the table up to my opponent. My opponents notice the difference.

Tell me your stories.

Sorry I'm the strongest weak member on a weak team in a weak league so a lot of this stuff hits a nerve with me.

I don't know about apa, but if it's based on balls pocketed in a round...

I know my team has gotten a lot better ever since I started playing first instead of last. Getting to the table last and knowing you can't win or can only win if you run out was horrible.

When I go first, it sets the tone for the round. If I win big it shakes the other team, and my team can ride the momentum. If I just win, there's three people behind me who only need to pocket balls, and at least one of them can scrape a win.

That way you get the most vague spot, but if you're a stronger player, winning is enough to give the rest of your team a good idea of what they need to do. It's important to have a somewhat decent anchor that can finish off the round though.

But yeah, if your team lets the round slip, and then it's always your job to pull out a win, I just think you're playing from a position of weakness.

Much better to win first and take a bit of pressure off your teammates and hopefully it'll let them loosen up and play better with a firmer goal in mind.

Teamwork is important.

Also teaching your weaker teammates to play smart and not do stupid stuff goes a long way. I also don't know what level your league is at but sometimes it's better for your weaker players to leave a person long, instead of going for that crazy bank that leaves their opponent straight in on the 8-ball.

If their opponents earn it, fine, w.e

I also have no idea how many times I've seen my weaker teammates get upset that they didn't run out. I mean you're a weak player and you've never had a run out, nothing in your prior experience justifies you thinking you should be able to run out. Getting bent out of shape cause you messed up is pointless.

Or they'll moan whenever their opponent misses, and they're not perfectly straight in on a shot. I'm sitting there remembering how they just missed and hooked their opponent accidentally a couple shots ago. But they think the world is against them.

You get luck and you get unlucky, it rolls both ways. If the other team is getting lucky it won't last, and the worst thing your teammates can do is having already given up by the time things start to roll your way again.

Sorry, watching weak players getting upset frustrates me. It makes no sense to me watching someone I know who doesn't practice, has never thought about shape in their life, think that they can expect results that just aren't reasonable. It's like they want to find something to blame for their poor performance, and god forbid it's their fault.

Also to clarify my current team is awesome and we've really gelled as a team. Even though we're weak, we work together and we're positive, and it's the most fun I've ever had.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always play my best and I'm definitely the best on my team. I do try to set up matches with some foresight when matching my team players against the opposing team. My captain always gets my opinion before throwing and I tend to get thrown/throw myself when we really need a point, need to psychologically damage the other team, or beat their strongest player.

Anyhow, I always play my best and honestly because of the way the league is ran I'm one of the best players locally and only like 3-4 players can match me. I really don't like how little competition there is in this league.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tell me your stories.

Huh? Save it? Do you only have a finite amount of good play in you?

If you can play well, then play well.

Good play doesn't age like a fine wine, quite the opposite.

Use it while you have, because someday it will be gone.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hardest thing for me to watch was mediocre players that would pretend like they were sandbagging to justify any of their misses. They would rather you think that they were sandbagging so they could keep the façade that they were actually a great player.

http://youtu.be/KIXaEbG3rCo

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I am the best player on my team. For our singles tournament this year we had four players ranked as D players and I was ranked as an A player.

I dont save it. I shoot to make every ball unless I am playing safe or something else. The only thing I would say is that at times I might not take as much time figuring out a bank or lining up a runout as I would if I was playing singles or in a tournament. I probably dont try as hard as I could. I do think that this is more of a thing that has to do with league play rather than my team though. To me it is just league. It is fun and everything, but I don't get worked up or worry much about it.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Why would you allow your play level to be dictated by how your teammates do?

Tell me your stories.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tell me your stories.

My personal opinion: Play hard, play to win, play for your teammates. Help make your teammates better players. Don't be part of that league culture that plays the handicap numbers game by sandbagging or saying "Johnny's a good 3, so I'm not going to help him because I want him to stay a 3".

Razor37

Registered
Thank you for your replies. I accept both sides, that is the reason for the post.

To clarify, I do not sandbag as I can not go up any higher in league, I mostly play 8-ball on 7 footers. When I play APA masters, I will play closest to my best. I personally find it more "fun" on league night. I have also felt that I win a few more when I play precise position and runout vs. play cat and mouse on a bad layout.

Since most of you have said to always play your best, I will happily take your advice and play a notch better.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
I know a guy...

The hardest thing for me to watch was mediocre players that would pretend like they were sandbagging to justify any of their misses. They would rather you think that they were sandbagging so they could keep the façade that they were actually a great player.

http://youtu.be/KIXaEbG3rCo

I know a guy who does that. I've known him for many years and he rarely runs a rack, but he claims to be a great instructor and has convinced many of this, - even giving lessons and clinics, etc.

To the OPs question...

In 1960 I carried a 191 average on a bowling team. The other members averaged between 145 and 154. Guess you could say I carried that team.

Evidence that I always put forth an effort might be that I've won league MVP in pool possibly more times than anyone ever...and yet I was occasionally accused of sandbagging!

Pangit

Banned
Thank you for your replies. I accept both sides, that is the reason for the post.

To clarify, I do not sandbag as I can not go up any higher in league, I mostly play 8-ball on 7 footers. When I play APA masters, I will play closest to my best. I personally find it more "fun" on league night. I have also felt that I win a few more when I play precise position and runout vs. play cat and mouse on a bad layout.

Since most of you have said to always play your best, I will happily take your advice and play a notch better.

IMO most folks that talk about carrying their team are actually being carried by 'their' team whether they want to acknowledge it or not...food for thought.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tell me your stories.

Sounds like you are a sandbagger.