Can Carbon Fiber Shafts Warp

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me personally more actual question would be what percent of c.f. shafts going for sale from different manufacturers are not actually straight. It shows the quality of the whole process.
If it's perfectly straight when you got it I believe the risk that it warps is much less in comparison with wooden shafts. I guess one of the major advantages for manufacturers is the time needed for producing perfectly straight shaft out of carbon fiber being much shorter then out of wood and if it's done perfectly again the risks for them to warp are much less.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can it? Yes.

Will it? Not very likely under typical environmental conditions and use.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me personally more actual question would be what percent of c.f. shafts going for sale from different manufacturers are not actually straight. It shows the quality of the whole process.
If it's perfectly straight when you got it I believe the risk that it warps is much less in comparison with wooden shafts. I guess one of the major advantages for manufacturers is the time needed for producing perfectly straight shaft out of carbon fiber being much shorter then out of wood and if it's done perfectly again the risks for them to warp are much less.

I'm not following your train of thought.
How does a manufacturing flaw - not being straight - increase the tendency of that bend to increase over time?
Thanks

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not following your train of thought.
How does a manufacturing flaw - not being straight - increase the tendency of that bend to increase over time?
Thanks
I did not mean any tendency to increase over time. I just meant the possibility to get not a straight c.f. shaft at the beginning is quite higher then possibility of perfectly straight c.f. shaft to warp. That was the idea;)

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not yet seen any carbonfibre product that is 100% stable and not move. Even model plane props move over time. Some will increase in pitch, some will decrease in pitch. As to why , I don't know. The amount I am talking about is in the range of 0.1 inches of pitch or so. As for cue shafts, yes they can move over time for sure. To claim that they don't, is not being honest. As to the amount , it can be as much as 1/2 a millimeter on a cue shaft. So that if the tip is on the a level support and the joint is on a flat surface and rolled, it can show at the most a 1mm movement from high to low. I have not seen this much in a cue shaft yet, but it is within the range of possible movement in a composite structure. Fishing rods can move this much over time. I have seen 0.25mm of movement over time in a cue shaft. It has not effected the playability of the cue yet.
Neil

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High heat and UV can cause CF to breakdown/warp. If the CF is of high-quality and proper construction methods are used a pool shaft shouldn't warp. If it was straight when it left the factory and is kept away from extreme heat and UV it should not move. Time alone will be the judge of how well these things are built. If there are gaps/voids in the matrix they'll show up over time.