Lessons from Lee Brett

cre8tuv

Registered
This is my very first post. I've been lurking around AZ for years, a lot good information here and a lot bashing going on to. So I have no reputation here.

I have been playing pool 34 years, and have spent 27 of them at Chris's in Chicago. I'm probably less than a shortstop in the food chain over there.
I have bought a lot of books on pool over the years. I got Lee's book in the mail a month ago, and I must say his book covers a few topics I haven't seen in other books or that are discussed when talking to other players at Chris's. I tried a few of the things that were mentioned in the book. Naturally at first it didn't feel right in the beginning but I was starting to make some tough shots much more consistantly than before.

When Lee anounced he was giving lessons in Las Vegas, I contacted him and arranged for lessons last Tuesday. I met him over at Best Billiards, a nice room with fairly new diamonds. He whatched me shoot for awhile and then he suggested a few changes in my stance and explained his reasons why, and reviewed how to approach a shot. we started doing a few progressive drills with short shots to longer shots. Some of the things that we worked actually helped my concentration. On some shots my peripheral visson seems to expand tremendously, what he was teaching certainly helped me in that area.
I feel that my game has improved from that afternoon and I feel very optimistic that my game will improve a month from now as I make these changes become part of my game. I feel that I got my moneys worth with Lee.

Lee said he was going to be at the Derby this year, I'm will be going there to see him again. I think anybody living in Vegas who is considering getting lessons should check him out.

This is a plug for him I think he deserves it.

Peace

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A nice first post^, cre8tuv.
I like the way AZers are pulling for Lee Brett, who seems to be disappointed
right now.
I've only spoke to Lee once and I like his enthusiasm.
Don't give up on us yet, Lee.

pt..<..loves Chris' billiards

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Lee's one of the most solid guys I ever met. He lived with me for about a month or so and helped me and my entire clique of friends tremendously with our pool games. His approach to the setup, grip and stroke are really, really, really good.

drpjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I got some lessons from Lee and I still follow everything I can remember!! His "V" technique is great. Lee completely helped with pre-shot, stance and helped me DROP MY ELBOW !!!!! Non the less he is a Great Guy and Friend!! Keep your Head Up Bud!!!:thumbup:

donny

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Well I got some lessons from Lee and I still follow everything I can remember!! His "V" technique is great. Lee completely helped with pre-shot, stance and helped me DROP MY ELBOW !!!!! Non the less he is a Great Guy and Friend!! Keep your Head Up Bud!!!:thumbup:

donny

Yeah, I had a good experience last night. I was going through a lull in the middle of my set, so I locked my V at 12:00 and just dropped the elbow and started to pop them in from everywhere. I was started to hum to myself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em-1UI4m18U&feature=related

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
This is my very first post. I've been lurking around AZ for years, a lot good information here and a lot bashing going on to. So I have no reputation here.

I have been playing pool 34 years, and have spent 27 of them at Chris's in Chicago. I'm probably less than a shortstop in the food chain over there.
I have bought a lot of books on pool over the years. I got Lee's book in the mail a month ago, and I must say his book covers a few topics I haven't seen in other books or that are discussed when talking to other players at Chris's. I tried a few of the things that were mentioned in the book. Naturally at first it didn't feel right in the beginning but I was starting to make some tough shots much more consistantly than before.

When Lee anounced he was giving lessons in Las Vegas, I contacted him and arranged for lessons last Tuesday. I met him over at Best Billiards, a nice room with fairly new diamonds. He whatched me shoot for awhile and then he suggested a few changes in my stance and explained his reasons why, and reviewed how to approach a shot. we started doing a few progressive drills with short shots to longer shots. Some of the things that we worked actually helped my concentration. On some shots my peripheral visson seems to expand tremendously, what he was teaching certainly helped me in that area.
I feel that my game has improved from that afternoon and I feel very optimistic that my game will improve a month from now as I make these changes become part of my game. I feel that I got my moneys worth with Lee.

Lee said he was going to be at the Derby this year, I'm will be going there to see him again. I think anybody living in Vegas who is considering getting lessons should check him out.

This is a plug for him I think he deserves it.

Peace

Good Review. I just bought his book, based on it.

rcarson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dropping the elbow isn't common? (honest question) I was taught to drop my elbow during my follow-through.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Dropping the elbow isn't common? (honest question) I was taught to drop my elbow during my follow-through.

It adds a variable so most instructors stick to the pendulum...

There have been flat out wars here over the very topic...

I am in Lee's camp mainly because natural evolution seems to lead to an elbow drop after contact based on looking at the strokes of most world class players...

Until I have a "world class playing level" instructor tell me to stop it and explain why I will be keeping my elbow drop...

Now if I was starting out today I'd likely work on the true pendulum as it is more repeatable but I wouldn't beat myself up down the road if I started dropping it on time.......

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rcarson...Dropping the elbow (regardless of timing) is a choice, rather than a necessity. There is no shot that cannot be made using a pendulum swing, that can be made with an elbow drop (piston stroke), including power shots. Some players report that the elbow drop "feels" more natural to them, and as Dave and Lee talk about, as long as it's after contact with the CB, it doesn't interfere with accuracy on the CB. That said, the elbow drop provides no additional benefit to the outcome of the shot, while making the swing much more complicated, in terms of timing and accuracy. This is the main reason why many professional instructors try to dissuade students from adopting a piston style stroke.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
This is the main reason why many professional instructors try to dissuade students from adopting a piston style stroke.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott...

Please, in all fairness... "Many professional instructors" equate to your team of SPF instructors. Proficient players with pendulum strokes and proficient players who drop their elbow look identical up until contact; therefore, there are no added complexities with timing.

There are just as many instructors world-wide (especially if you include other cueing sports such as snooker) who advocate a natural elbow drop as those who advocate a true pendulum (such as SPF instructors). A majority of elite-caliber pros play with a dropped-elbow follow-through versus a pinned elbow. That doesn't make it right (or the ONLY way); but it's definitely not wrong either.

That said, a beginning-level player who "tries" to elbow drop is adding an additional swing-thought that will likely make their timing off.

Lee's obviously a huge proponent of elbow-dropping mechanics and this is his thread. So, let's be fair and say either method can produce an elite, top-10-in-the-world player and neither is right/wrong for a decent player.

Dave

Last edited:

TheThaiger

Banned
How do you NOT drop your elbow on follow through? I videoed myself for the first time recently, and was surprised to see my elbow dropping after follow through, just like Lee does on his youtube videos. I've tried keeping it up but don't know how to do it.