American Rotation

Pfnatic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep on playing, the talking about a new game doesn't work too well but when they play they like. I'll be playing some at Zingales in Tallahassee today ;)

For some reason my earlier post did not go through.

This game needs to be simpler as far as points are concerned. Having 1 point for some and 2 point for some balls will discourage the casual players from playing this game. We can just keep 1 point per ball and use table slots to keep track of the balls pocketed like one pocket, and then tally it at the end.

Another reason to keep 1 point per ball is that, it takes more effort to clear balls 1-10 because of the increased traffic in the beginning of the rack. So it's highly unfair that balls 11-15 will be worth more.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I tried to get someone to play me this a couple weeks ago or so, but no takers... guess no one likes new games around here. If anyone in the DFW area wants to give it a go, please let me know.

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
One thing I didn't see addressed in the rules is when an extra ball or two are pocketed on a correctly made called shot; for instance, if you call the two, make it in the correct pocket but also make the uncalled seven. What happens?

Joe T

One thing I didn't see addressed in the rules is when an extra ball or two are pocketed on a correctly made called shot; for instance, if you call the two, make it in the correct pocket but also make the uncalled seven. What happens?
If you make a called shot you also keep any other balls that were pocketed.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
been playing rotation for like 4 or 5 years, but the game has been around way way longer, with different scoring systems and racking rules. when my father was in the military draft they played it all the time and that was the 1970s. i mainly play it against "the ghost", for practice. but it's a great skill tester too, so gaming up in rotation in tournaments could work out.

i've never tried it on a 10-foot table though, but i saw shaw vs burford. adds a new dimension of skill test to it.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
been playing rotation for like 4 or 5 years, but the game has been around way way longer, with different scoring systems and racking rules. when my father was in the military draft they played it all the time and that was the 1970s. i mainly play it against "the ghost", for practice. but it's a great skill tester too, so gaming up in rotation in tournaments could work out.

i've never tried it on a 10-foot table though, but i saw shaw vs burford. adds a new dimension of skill test to it.

My Grandpa taught me the game when I was a boy...he played it in the Navy in the '40s/'50s. It's been around a LONG time. Apparently, the U.S. Navy brought the game to the Philipines many, many years ago, and the rest is history. Awesome game, really combines all the skills like no other game. I wish more folks knew how to play it, I'd love to see some top level players shoot it in a tourney...I suspect the top three finishers would all speak Tagalog, though!

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Another value of 1 point per ball is that people have to work harder to make the first set of balls (1-10) owing to much more traffic at the beginning of the rack. So it doesn't make sense to me that the last few balls (11-15) would be worth more points. It wont be fair if you do a good clearance at the beginning but miss the last few balls, and your opponent doesn't have to sweat it to stay in the game.

... Another reason to keep 1 point per ball is that, it takes more effort to clear balls 1-10 because of the increased traffic in the beginning of the rack. So it's highly unfair that balls 11-15 will be worth more.

Joe T -- What is your response to the above comments by Pfnatic?

Joe T

Joe T -- What is your response to the above comments by Pfnatic?

I agree with the points he made and I did try the game a lot at a 1 point value, that is the way we used to play pay ball ring games with it. Trust me when I say I would have much rather went that way because it makes everything easier and because of the points Pfnatic is talking about. The last 5 balls worth 2 points each adds some nice pressure towards the end of every rack and the players I tested preffered it at 2pts, as did I. There will also be higher and lower level players matching up and the last 5 balls come into play pretty good there. If I miss a 10 or 11 while playing someone 100-35, IT HURTS :mad:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Although harder to keep track of score...

I agree with the points he made and I did try the game a lot at a 1 point value, that is the way we used to play pay ball ring games with it. Trust me when I say I would have much rather went that way because it makes everything easier and because of the points Pfnatic is talking about. The last 5 balls worth 2 points each adds some nice pressure towards the end of every rack and the players I tested preffered it at 2pts, as did I. There will also be higher and lower level players matching up and the last 5 balls come into play pretty good there. If I miss a 10 or 11 while playing someone 100-35, IT HURTS :mad:

You should consider the game I came up with, progressive rotation. Each time an inning starts the first ball made is worth one point, the next ball pocketed in succession is worth one point more, so the third ball pocketed is worth three points, the fifth in a row is worth five points.

That way you are rewarded for high runs but not for misses..

A foul by your opponent is gives you two points if you called a safety the previous round, but you can also call two way shots.

Jaden

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
You should consider the game I came up with, progressive rotation. Each time an inning starts the first ball made is worth one point, the next ball pocketed in succession is worth one point more, so the third ball pocketed is worth three points, the fifth in a row is worth five points.

That way you are rewarded for high runs but not for misses..

A foul by your opponent is gives you two points if you called a safety the previous round, but you can also call two way shots.

Jaden

Not bad ideas. I especially like the one about getting points for playing a safety your opponant can not "solve".

But take it from me - :eek: - Joe is probably getting tired of suggested "improvements" by now.

Fatz

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Not bad ideas. I especially like the one about getting points for playing a safety your opponant can not "solve".

But take it from me - :eek: - Joe is probably getting tired of suggested "improvements" by now.

Fatz

Yeah I'm sure. I actually developed the game I was referring to on a six by twelve snooker table with skill balls. That's smaller snooker balls with traditional numbering and colors.

I've had a 78 point run before.

Maximum possible is 120.

Jaden