Great match..................

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Two things I noticed in that final game. After starting a good run out in the final rack, Shaw lost concentration for a moment on a very simple shot from the five ball to the seven. He got on the wrong side of the seven and was too far away, forcing him to use the bridge (notice also he shoots right handed with the bridge). He now fails to get straight on the eight ball after making the seven and it ends up costing him the match.

Sometimes it's a loss of concentration on the "easy" shots that prove costly. We tend to take them for granted and that leads to the little mistakes that can end a run out. Once you get out of line it's hard to get back in line. In fact it often gets worse as the rack progresses.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things I noticed in that final game. After starting a good run out in the final rack, Shaw lost concentration for a moment on a very simple shot from the five ball to the seven. He got on the wrong side of the seven and was too far away, forcing him to use the bridge (notice also he shoots right handed with the bridge). He now fails to get straight on the eight ball after making the seven and it ends up costing him the match.

Sometimes it's a loss of concentration on the "easy" shots that prove costly. We tend to take them for granted and that leads to the little mistakes that can end a run out. Once you get out of line it's hard to get back in line. In fact it often gets worse as the rack progresses.
Great points Jay. Plus playing on that 10ft'r punishes mistakes even more.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yeah, this was great match, very well played by both.

I agree with Jay that Jayson got to the wrong side of the seven, He could have easily played the five ball onto the other side of the seven. From the other side of the seven, he'd have had either a straight draw or a twice across shot to get much straighter on the eight, after which he'd have had three hangers for the win.

All that said, the miss on the eight was pretty poor here, and most of us were quite shocked by it, none more than Jayson.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, this was great match, very well played by both.

I agree with Jay that Jayson got to the wrong side of the seven, He could have easily played the five ball onto the other side of the seven. From the other side of the seven, he'd have had either a straight draw or a twice across shot to get much straighter on the eight, after which he'd have had three hangers for the win.

All that said, the miss on the eight was pretty poor here, and most of us were quite shocked by it, none more than Jayson.

He got caught up in using that inside english to break up the 9-10 and forgot to make the ball first! All because he got out of line in the first place.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
He got caught up in using that inside english to break up the 9-10 and forgot to make the ball first! All because he got out of line in the first place.

FWIW - I call it the "washing machine effect." If you've ever had a load go out of balance, then you know it just gets worse and worse the longer it runs. You need to reset at some point - and the sooner the better.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shooting 1.000 is not unusual on a bar table. I recall in the late 1970's, Mike Sigel gambled with Buddy Hall on a bar table. Mike missed just one ball in about six hours. The best part of the story, though, is that they roughly broke even.