Bonus Ball - The Game

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my 100th post, thought it fitting to start a thread! :D

Has anyone every seen or played Play Bonus Ball??? Evidently it was introduced a couple years ago at the US Open.

http://www.playbonusball.com/

Interesting game and concept. I played two games last nite after league play at Marietta Billiard Club. Once I got the hang of it -- i.e. not hitting the wrong ball / wrong pocket etc, it was a lot of fun. You are on a clock for the game, and a clock for each shot as well.

The game incorporates different strategies pulled from different regular pool games. Just curious if anyone has ever tried it?

JC

Coos Cues
For my 100th post, thought it fitting to start a thread! :D

Has anyone every seen or played Play Bonus Ball??? Evidently it was introduced a couple years ago at the US Open.

http://www.playbonusball.com/

Interesting game and concept. I played two games last nite after league play at Marietta Billiard Club. Once I got the hang of it -- i.e. not hitting the wrong ball / wrong pocket etc, it was a lot of fun. You are on a clock for the game, and a clock for each shot as well.

The game incorporates different strategies pulled from different regular pool games. Just curious if anyone has ever tried it?

I acquired that game thrown in with a pool table I bought back in 95. No matter how hard I've tried, I can't seem to clearly understand the rules that came printed along with it. Thus I'm not sure exactly how to play the game and score it. I was excited when Paul Potier came down here last year that he could clarify some things. Well he couldn't remember exactly how to play the game either even though his picture is on the box. Maybe it will be a collectors item one day?

Maybe your link to the rules will get me going. Hopefully they have been refined so a person can understand.

JC

Coos Cues
Very soon, everyone will be hearing about Bonus Ball.

Roger

Wow I thought this game was gone and forgotten. Apparently it has evolved. Here's a pic of my original set with Paul Potierand Mike Massey promoting it. Notice there was five of each colored ball then? The JA video on how to play is a bit clearer than the xeroxed instruction sheet you see in my set. Maybe if the game catches on my vintage set will be worth something one day? Offers?

020 (2).jpg

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow I thought this game was gone and forgotten. Apparently it has evolved. Here's a pic of my original set with Paul Potierand Mike Massey promoting it. Notice there was five of each colored ball then? The JA video on how to play is a bit clearer than the xeroxed instruction sheet you see in my set. Maybe if the game catches on my vintage set will be worth something one day? Offers?

View attachment 221730

Interesting! The "new" version has 4 purple and 4 orange balls with one black bonus ball. They are produced by Aramith and look really nice. You rack the 8 balls in nine-ball rack style and the bonus ball on the mid spot.

The software that keeps score and time is pretty slick. I can see this being a lot of fun on a home table as well in tournament style play. The software streamed to a large screen tv gives a nice scoreboard view for the fans. :thumbup:

JC

Coos Cues
Interesting! The "new" version has 4 purple and 4 orange balls with one black bonus ball. They are produced by Aramith and look really nice. You rack the 8 balls in nine-ball rack style and the bonus ball on the mid spot.

The software that keeps score and time is pretty slick. I can see this being a lot of fun on a home table as well in tournament style play. The software streamed to a large screen tv gives a nice scoreboard view for the fans. :thumbup:

The originals I have were also made by Aramith.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I watched the entire video. Sounds kinda interesting, but I don't know. Seems like it lacks something.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the entire video. Sounds kinda interesting, but I don't know. Seems like it lacks something.

I hear ya! Like most things, the video probably doesn't do it justice. When I saw it, they were demoing it front and center on the Diamond table at MBC. Had the scoreboard on a flat screen. Anyone could try, and a gentlemen was there to help guide you - although he let me foul and then called it!

It was fun and different. I'd like to try a few more games. Don't necessarily see it replacing any games, rather a unique addition.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
They were slightly ahead of themselves..... Who was going to carry around a scoreboard and ball set to the pool room... I always take my centennials but a scoreboard?????? With all the new apps and smartphones they just need to develop a droid and iphone app and maybe somehow it will catch on........ I read the rules and watched it at the Open out where the demo area was and the actual arena match of it... I never really got it but maybe playing it is the key........ The issue may be their business model and the scoreboard was gonna be the money maker... Now it would have to be ball sets and cheap apps.......

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The last I heard of it -- about December 2011 -- pro players were forming teams which would compete at a specially prepared venue in Las Vegas. Every player on a team would be guaranteed a minimum amount per week during the season. Or so the rumor was.

If you go to the site listed above, there is no mention of such a pro team tour. The last (and only) event shown on the site is from 2010.

I remember when the game was first introduced at a BCA trade show. Paul Potier was the guy in the booth and I played a couple of games with him. I think there was no special score board at that time, but I might be confused. I bought a set. Then nothing for several years until it showed up at the US Open.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
The last I heard of it -- about December 2011 -- pro players were forming teams which would compete at a specially prepared venue in Las Vegas. Every player on a team would be guaranteed a minimum amount per week during the season. Or so the rumor was.

If you go to the site listed above, there is no mention of such a pro team tour. The last (and only) event shown on the site is from 2010.

I remember when the game was first introduced at a BCA trade show. Paul Potier was the guy in the booth and I played a couple of games with him. I think there was no special score board at that time, but I might be confused. I bought a set. Then nothing for several years until it showed up at the US Open.

This is the way I've been told, also. And. actually, the information on the professional league really is on the website listed. It is on the right hand side of the home page.

The last I heard, the Bonus Ball promoters are targeting late May for a start time for the pro league. There are supposed to be eight, 4-man teams. The captains have been selected, and they are now in the process of drafting the players. They are planning to play matches on the weekends. It is my understanding that several of the captains have already relocated to areas in close proximity to Las Vegas in preparation for this league.

For clarification sake, I am getting my information from one of the drafted players who plans to live with me and my wife in Phoenix and commute to the events in Vegas during the league season.

Roger