The Rat Table

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Well when I learned that the rec center here in Sun City West was closing for 2 weeks because of the virus. I imediately searched craigslist for a cheap pool table. I have found tables on the free list. This is my second. A 1963 Fisher 8 footer. Used to be coin op but that is long gone. It had been on the list for 19 days. That is how nice it was. It was FREE and only worth that to well...... me.

I picked up the table with help from the owner. It had been for their long since grown sons. It was in the garage and looked as if it had been used as a work bench for a long time, with a couple of what looked like battery acid burns to the cloth. It had not weathered well and the formica on the rails was coming off. The slate is well not slate looks like some sort of marble.

This has been my project for the last week. I have just close to $200 in material and a weeks worth of labor. Now I have a table on the back patio to practice to my hearts content. Throw a tarp over it when it rains and it should last another 50 years.:wink:

Dave Clayton recovered 2 of the 9 foot Diamonds at the rec center. I was able to salvage the 2 bed clothes. They were in better condition than the average bar table and it is simonis. Heck I still have enough cloth to redo the rails if I get a wild hair and want to upgrade the rails.

I ordered from Pool Dawgs. k-66 rubber and shims and pocket liners. Ordered Monday morning and it all arrived late Wednesday.

I am a jack of all trades when it comes to carpentry and finish work is my strong suit. The quality level I was working to was the grocery store quality, "Can you see it from a speeding shopping cart?" Fisher tables were built with the idea of the cheapest possible in the construction. So I strived to match that priority as well.

The listing is still alive on craigslist. This picture should work for a little while.
00r0r_5gg2KMLHghO_600x450.jpg

Kind of proud of my work so now I need to be retrained on how to get the pictures from my phone to a place I can link here. Any guidance is appreciated.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems you can't quote IMGs and attachments on AZB. I save the pic to my desktop and put it back in place as an attachment. Funny the attach tags look the same but only the redo works.

Well when I learned that the rec center here in Sun City West was closing for 2 weeks because of the virus. I imediately searched craigslist for a cheap pool table. I have found tables on the free list. This is my second. A 1963 Fisher 8 footer. Used to be coin op but that is long gone. It had been on the list for 19 days. That is how nice it was. It was FREE and only worth that to well...... me.

I picked up the table with help from the owner. It had been for their long since grown sons. It was in the garage and looked as if it had been used as a work bench for a long time, with a couple of what looked like battery acid burns to the cloth. It had not weathered well and the formica on the rails was coming off. The slate is well not slate looks like some sort of marble.

This has been my project for the last week. I have just close to $200 in material and a weeks worth of labor. Now I have a table on the back patio to practice to my hearts content. Throw a tarp over it when it rains and it should last another 50 years.:wink:

Dave Clayton recovered 2 of the 9 foot Diamonds at the rec center. I was able to salvage the 2 bed clothes. They were in better condition than the average bar table and it is simonis. Heck I still have enough cloth to redo the rails if I get a wild hair and want to upgrade the rails.

I ordered from Pool Dawgs. k-66 rubber and shims and pocket liners. Ordered Monday morning and it all arrived late Wednesday.

I am a jack of all trades when it comes to carpentry and finish work is my strong suit. The quality level I was working to was the grocery store quality, "Can you see it from a speeding shopping cart?" Fisher tables were built with the idea of the cheapest possible in the construction. So I strived to match that priority as well.

The listing is still alive on craigslist. This picture should work for a little while.
00r0r_5gg2KMLHghO_600x450.jpg
Kind of proud of my work so now I need to be retrained on how to get the pictures from my phone to a place I can link here. Any guidance is appreciated.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
what did you do to the rails and sides?
did you leave the pnw.

The rails and sides are faux marble. In the spirit of Fisher I covered them with...... Adhesive shelf paper. About $5 for a 20”x16’ roll. Still need to do the base but with the table functioning that will take a while.

I am in Arizona now and we still have a summer place in Amboy WA.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rails and sides are faux marble. In the spirit of Fisher I covered them with...... Adhesive shelf paper. About $5 for a 20”x16’ roll. Still need to do the base but with the table functioning that will take a while.

I am in Arizona now and we still have a summer place in Amboy WA.

That table looks cool now. Back in the day I loved playing on Fisher bar tables, so much tighter than Valleys. Enjoy Greg!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
That table looks cool now. Back in the day I loved playing on Fisher bar tables, so much tighter than Valleys. Enjoy Greg!
This is my second Fisher. My first was somewhere around 1982-3. $60 For the slate(marble) and rails. I had a waterbed shop and had it up and running in a day.

Can't remember if that was before or after my 9' franken table, Wendt from early 1900's and Brunswick and uhm junk find. That is a long story....

This is now officially my best table yet. By the way Glen did give me some very valuable knowledge with the Franken table.

So back to the table. I had to finish glueing in the pocket liners. It is still amazing how level that slate plays. Never a hint of a Valley Roll. I left the pockets and rails stock. With good craftsmanship with the training from some of the best. I am proud of the way it plays, not the way it looks.

Yes the Fisher does have potential. What was that saying, "Body by Fisher."?

Oh Crap! Did I mention that I made my first pool table, in 1974? Another long story. Heh heh! :wink:

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The upclose and dirty

[pocket small.jpg
Trying to post a picture of my best corner. 4 3/8 point to point.
I placed 1/8 rubber filler scraps at top of rail to roll it forward a little. A bush fix.:wink:
The pocket liners are contact cemented to the wooden frame.
Nice and solid. Hit it hard in the middle and it might come back.
But it makes such a nice solid sound.:cool:

Last edited: