Shaw's Aiming

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suggest you watch some videos on CTE, because it is nothing what you think it is. You aren't understanding the angles at all.

As far as the pvc tube. There is a possibility that you are training yourself for a stroke that isn't possible on an actual pool table. Sounds like you are training for a completely level stroke. Good luck having one of those on an actual table due to the rails.

My whole point is, I don't have the need to even think about angles. Aim - fire. A lot simpler.

Level stroke? Nah, already thought of that. The cue ID is about 13mm or .512". The pipe ID is .75". So there's enough wiggle room to have the butt slightly higher.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I am stating that if all this 'vision' stuff is critical (and for the sake of argument, let's just say it is)....you STILL have to hit the object ball in the right spot.
To challenge some of this idea about vision center....all one has to do is learn to use CTE effectively.
If a shooter is still missing a lot of shots after using the 15, 30, 45, and 60 degree shot angles that Stan Shuffett teaches, THEN it's time to worry about a vision center problem, or a stroke issue, grip issue, elbow issue, stance issue, or whatever. Notice I said a "lot" of shots....not 'ALL'.
Even Stan and other CTE users miss shots. The idea is to greatly reduce the percentage of misses. Speaking for myself, after over 60 years of ghost ball guesswork, that has happened. The percentage of misses has dropped very-y-y significantly. (I do not care one bit about the "WHY it works".....it just does, and that's good enough for me.)
A good test of a straight stroke that is simple and quite superior to shooting down the table making the cue ball come back to the tip:=> Lineup, get into shooting position, aim...then close eyes and pull the trigger. If most, I said 'most', of the shots are successful then a straight stroke issue is not the problem. That comes right from Billy Johnson, Joe Cosgrove, Ralph Guest, Buck Bozeman, Eddie Taylor, and Danny Jones...that's not The Flash's preaching. The Flash is NOT an instructor, nor a champion, nor a wannabe 'red hot'. ...he is only an old, beaten down, well worn, shooter ranked in the top ten million of the world.
I think CTE will expose weaknesses quicker than any professional instructor techniques I've ever witnessed. I've seen a LOT of 'em too.

Fully agree. This has been one of my points all along.

Do you know the spot on the wall system for banking and kicking?

In my shop we were discussing this and the guy who works for me calls out the spot on the wall and nails several three rail banks in a row aiming to it. I go to shoot and line up to where he said and he says hold on you're aiming to the wrong place, about 2" to the left. I said you're crazy I am aimed dead at the spot you said to aim at and hit the shot and nail the three railer. So we did this. He lined his cue up at the spot and laid it down. I picked it up and I was looking at a different place. I sighted his spot and he picked up my cue and was looking at a different place. Yet both of us were clear that we were aiming at the same spot.

And both of us were lining up to the "spot" that equaled the three rail line. Just that each of us saw it slightly differently if we tried to adopt each other's perspective.

I tried to explain this on video about CTE several times. Once a person finds the OBJECTIVE perception that works for them then it's ALWAYS the same for them. The CTE line might come to the left of my nose and to the right of yours but what you see gets you lined up as accurately as what I see does it inside the same framework.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
He lined up first on half ball...........and went from there. (using edges that "did not exist")

He used edges ? Next, you're gonna say he used CTE.
He looked at the contact point on the ob, imagined a vertical line from that.
Then matched that up to the cue ball ( opposite side ).

GoldenFlash

Banned
The eyes lead...the body follows. Edges that don't exist?????

He used edges ? Next, you're gonna say he used CTE.
He looked at the contact point on the ob, imagined a vertical line from that.
Then matched that up to the cue ball ( opposite side ).
Nope, next I'm not going to say he used CTE....I won't say that at all.
But he did use edges. And he started out his visuals with half ball, adjusting from there. The eyes lead, the body follows
You use edges also.............whether you know it or not is a different story entirely. Your own eyes lead, your own body follows
I'd like to watch someone cut a frozen object ball on the rail, down that rail starting with the cue ball on an angle nearly perpendicular and even SEE the contact point on the object ball without noticing the edges that exist. The eyes lead, the body follows.
The contact point, from that angle, will be obscured from view when down in shooting position. The eyes lead, the body follows.

(A previous poster claims balls have no edges.....since they're round spheres. Therefore they cannot have edges. ?????)

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(A previous poster claims balls have no edges.....since they're round spheres. Therefore they cannot have edges. ?????)

Theoretically that is correct. Since an edge is an intersection of two surfaces. Since a solid sphere has only one outer surface, it cannot mathematically have an edge.

What we perceive as an edge is our 2D representatio of a 3D scene - a front-on orthogonal view.

Although, if you try to aim a near perpendicular cut by lining up the "edges" you'll almost always "thin" it, because since the OB is farther away, it appears smaller. In facr one way to make it is to intentionally thin it by hitting inside english, which makes the CB squirt a little outside before swerving back hitting the rail ever so slightly first, before spinning back i to the OB.