NYC pool players beware Simon Lau

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Maybe I'm "ratting him out", but I am not getting overly excited. Someone tells me they are going to pay me after we play, then promises to come one of two nights, then does neither. And doesn't even have the courtesy to put in a phone call. Exactly how long should I give someone? I don't expect to get paid, and even if I do, I will never play him again. I just want it to be known that he doesn't keep his word, so if anyone gives him action they should know b

Sounds to me that you're just quitting him winner then? Lol

GOTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like the guy is a total "Sucker" and I would let him air barrel me every week if he paid me $800 each time..........lol......And you probably have beat the guy out of ton over the years right? Just tell him don't worry about it and keep playing the guy before you lose him over that change!!

Barry Banks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, pool is not my source of income. It's just a weekend hobby. The money is not the important thing. It's the fact that someone gave me his word and broke it. And he hasn't even contacted me. If he pays me, I will be surprised, but I will make sure to post that here.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
He didn't by chance go into the back room with a guy named Finnegan did he....?

Telling the world you will "Never" play him again, is a sure way to avoid getting paid.
Give him a way out. Tell him you'll give him 2 on the wire for an additional 500 only if he post up the 1300. And if you lose, he owes you 300.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
tough situation sir!

It sounds to me that the guy got in over his head, financially! He took a chance with the air barrell trying to get back to even!

He is a regular and I am certain he will be back with an apology and your money. The POOL FORCE is strong in that one young padawan! 10 years of playing does not end over night and for a $800 debt!

What is concerning is your response. I would be VERY upset to read this if it was me!!! I play social and have been air barrelled before. We all have, i think!

You can't find it in your heart to give the guy some time???
Do, you see him at the pool room gambling???
Do you see him and he does not speak???
You post this and do not call or contact him FIRST???
What if he had a DEATH in the family, that caused him to miss the promised date??? How do you fix this with him???

Point is YOUR reaction and response could very well be PRE-MATURE and over kill.

Kd

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
tough situation sir!

It sounds to me that the guy got in over his head, financially! He took a chance with the air barrell trying to get back to even!

He is a regular and I am certain he will be back with an apology and your money. The POOL FORCE is strong in that one young padawan! 10 years of playing does not end over night and for a $800 debt!

What is concerning is your response. I would be VERY upset to read this if it was me!!! I play social and have been air barrelled before. We all have, i think!

You can't find it in your heart to give the guy some time???
Do, you see him at the pool room gambling???
Do you see him and he does not speak???
You post this and do not call or contact him FIRST???
What if he had a DEATH in the family, that caused him to miss the promised date??? How do you fix this with him???

Point is YOUR reaction and response could very well be PRE-MATURE and over kill.

Kd

Man, there sure is a lot of speculation in your post, Kid.

In my humble opinion, once a guy airs you out and then doesn't meet his promised make good date, it's up to the guy who got barrelled how he wishes to handle it.

I suppose if the guy was a good gambling opponent for many years and always made good before, there could be something going on in his life currently thast made him do this but that doesn't excuse stiffing someone - it's just a possible reason why.

If the op of this thread wanted to be gracious and forgiving or alternately pissed off and not forgiving, that's all up to him.

The other dynamic that comes into play is how the gambling has been going between them. The op hasn't said, so we really don't know whether they've been playing close and splitting winnings or if it's been lopsided.

My guess would be that if it were lopsided to the op's favor, this thread blasting the other guy probably wouldn't have been put up.

That's also speculative.

best,
brian kc <--- wishes he had a quarter for every time he heard "I shoulda made him post"

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Man, there sure is a lot of speculation in your post, Kid.

In my humble opinion, once a guy airs you out and then doesn't meet his promised make good date, it's up to the guy who got barrelled how he wishes to handle it.

I suppose if the guy was a good gambling opponent for many years and always made good before, there could be something going on in his life currently thast made him do this but that doesn't excuse stiffing someone - it's just a possible reason why.

If the op of this thread wanted to be gracious and forgiving or alternately pissed off and not forgiving, that's all up to him.

The other dynamic that comes into play is how the gambling has been going between them. The op hasn't said, so we really don't know whether they've been playing close and splitting winnings or if it's been lopsided.

My guess would be that if it was lopsided to the op's favor, this thread blasting the other guy probably wouldn't have been put up.

That's also speculative.

best,
brian kc <--- wishes he had a quarter for every time he heard "I shoulda made him post"
Lol

Dude is wrong. We all know it!

Pay what you owe!

I don't want to play ANYONE that has no love in their heart. I only gamble as much as I would lend!

Its OK to win 800 from the guy. But, would not lend the guy 800?

I know its all assumptions. But, cars breakdown and $hit happens. It may all be innocent. Hard to fix if you jump on the guy this soon.

Kd

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
The guy is a few days late in paying, so far that's about it. By going public, you just gave Simon a reason NOT to pay you.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
The guy is a few days late in paying, so far that's about it. By going public, you just gave Simon a reason NOT to pay you.

this reminds me of all the people who come to court saying 'I was gonna pay you but you started hounding me for it, you kept calling and even came to my job'.

as if this erased the fact that they owed the money.

as to whether the op has given "Simon a reason NOT to pay", you may be right. Or it might turn out that having his name out in public like this might cause him to settle his debt.

The op got stiffed, it's his call how he wants to address it, I think.

I know there are some guys who think he already won $800 for the night, what's the big deal.

Again, imo, the op put the money he won back in action (at risk) and got air and excuses when he won. It's insulting and low down.

best,
brian kc

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Since you're both from New Yawk, the "arrangement' should have been: it's either $800 now, or $900 two days from now. You know the penalty for going beyond two days, right? (while you tap him on the knee)

2strong4u

Banned
I am warning all NYC pool players, gamble with Simon Lau at your own risk. Simon likes to gamble money he doesn't have. Anyone who wants to play him, make sure he posts. We played 4 sets last week, $400 a set. He posted and paid the first two sets. When I won the third, he told me he would pay me after we were done playing. I told him that was not how we were playing then he reminded me how we have played for over ten years. So, I mistakenly agreed. After winning the fourth set, that's when he broke into his song and dance of having thought his direct deposit would have hit his account but it did not. He told me he would either come Sunday or Tuesday night and drop off the money. It is now Thursday and there is no word from him. I know it's my fault, and I let it happen. I have written the $800 off, but I wanted to make sure to let as many people as possible know what his word is really worth. Gamblers beware!

After he reads this, you definately won't get your money. There are smoother ways to get you money.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
this reminds me of all the people who come to court saying 'I was gonna pay you but you started hounding me for it, you kept calling and even came to my job'.

as if this erased the fact that they owed the money.

as to whether the op has given "Simon a reason NOT to pay", you may be right. Or it might turn out that having his name out in public like this might cause him to settle his debt.

The op got stiffed, it's his call how he wants to address it, I think.

I know there are some guys who think he already won $800 for the night, what's the big deal.

Again, imo, the op put the money he won back in action (at risk) and got air and excuses when he won. It's insulting and low down.

best,
brian kc

I agree, but I don't think going public is the answer. Especially when they know each other for a long time, give him a chance to pay first.

Besides, fish deserve better treatment. When they occasionally jump outta the tank you gotta quickly throw em' back in the water..... not hang em out to dry.

2strong4u

Banned
If he's been good action before , you need to keep him going. I would have him payoff 500 if he promised and posted another 2 sets at 400 or so. Set the hook on this fish already.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I agree, but I don't think going public is the answer. Especially when they know each other for a long time, give him a chance to pay first.

Besides, fish deserve better treatment. When they occasionally jump outta the tank you gotta quickly throw em' back in the water..... not hang em out to dry.

And I agree with this, as well.

We still don't know how they've done against each other historically.

The opponent may, or may not be a fish. ;)

best,
brian kc

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
And I agree with this, as well.

We still don't know how they've done against each other historically.

The opponent may, or may not be a fish. ;)

best,
brian kc

I finally thought of something cool to say, and you had to go and ruin my moment!

Seriously though, good point considering we don't know the history.

Barry Banks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The history is we have known each other for 10 years. He is not a regular at my room. We may have played once or twice a year. I have won the majority of the time. Regarding whether it's right to put this out there, I did it for a couple of reasons. None of them, by the way, is to somehow get him to pay me. I have written the money off. I just want folks in the area to know what happened and make sure it doesn't happen to them. Simon has been a stand up guy to me as long as I have known him. Something is just different this time and I got a bad feeling that I won't get paid. I am not angry. I am not cursing and calling him names. This is just me, trying to get my $800 worth.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
The history is we have known each other for 10 years. He is not a regular at my room. We may have played once or twice a year. I have won the majority of the time. Regarding whether it's right to put this out there, I did it for a couple of reasons. None of them, by the way, is to somehow get him to pay me. I have written the money off. I just want folks in the area to know what happened and make sure it doesn't happen to them. Simon has been a stand up guy to me as long as I have known him. Something is just different this time and I got a bad feeling that I won't get paid. I am not angry. I am not cursing and calling him names. This is just me, trying to get my $800 worth.
Hope you get paid. I hope it was unavoidable and some life event was the cause for delay.

Kd

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Really? LOL I would think the pressure would make him try and make it good quick so that Barry Banks can let the folks out there know it has been settled. That would be my reaction anyway.