US Mosconi team has a higher Fargo rating than Europe

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s often said that the Euros are better than the Americans. But the Americans have a higher Fargo rating this year:

SVB: 821
Dechaine: 801
Bergman: 796
Woodward: 772
Deuel: 763

Average: 791
Range: 58
Middle player: 796

--------------------

Feijen: 802
Appleton: 791
Van den Berg: 781
Ouschan: 779
Boyes: 778

Average: 786
Range: 24
Middle player: 781

It's definitely close - only a few points. But, at least according to Fargorate, it's not true that Europe has better players.

It's also interesting that Europe's ratings are very tight - a range of only 24 points. The US top player is higher than Europe's top player, and the US lowest-rated player is lower than Europe's lowest. But the US median player is higher.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I think an important point here is the range #'s...... almost 2.5 times bigger spread.

Way tighter group on the Euro team, as expected. I just hope we get at least 3 good days of pool, and not the slaughter like we had the last 2 events.

:thumbup:GO USA :thumbup:

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone on Europe's team are higher than our bottom two.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Ridiculous that toasty isn't on that team

Me too, he's always overlooked :frown:

The last time he was on the team was 2009 when USA won.

I find it ironic that the USA team who won that year had 2 players that are on this year's team(Shane and Corey) and the Europe team from 2009 also had only 2 players in that team that are on the 2015 team(Darren and Feijen).

Coincidence?!?! I think not!!! History will repeat itself.

USA VICTORY CONFIRMED!!!

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
Who cares about Fargo ratings??? The game is played on the table not paper.

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who cares about Fargo ratings??? The game is played on the table not paper.

I think the only thing the Fargo Ratings show here is that both teams possess the needed firepower. That said, the Mosconi Cup has proven that success is not just about that.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the only thing the Fargo Ratings show here is that both teams possess the needed firepower. That said, the Mosconi Cup has proven that success is not just about that.

Yes this is fair. What the Fargo Ratings say is there's no significant difference in raw material: That it now comes down to all the rich but intangible factors that make it worth doing and fun to sweat...

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes this is fair. What the Fargo Ratings say is there's no significant difference in raw material: That it now comes down to all the rich but intangible factors that make it worth doing and fun to sweat...

Yes and FTR, I'm a big fan of FargoRate. I think you guys are doing a great job bringing statistics to pool in a way that's easy to understand.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone with the FargoRating do an in time comparison of the USA and Euro Teams from 2009 forward. By in time I'm referring to only using matches from that time back, Not the Rating as of today. That would be an interesting comparison.

Just a thought to look and see how it looked on paper and how it came out.

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The overall Mosconi winning percentages for all the participants are in a thread so titled. the Europeans have an average that is ten % higher than USA. Given that Skyler has not played and assuming that he will have a higher average than Shane or Corey it might bridge the gap some.The telling evidece is the poor performance of Mike in his two appearances especially in 2012 in Europe when we lost 11 9 . All the tournaments the Americans Qualified by playing in very rarely had all the Euros in the field.

by admission of the participants their is no greater pressure in any pool event than the Mosconi. The Euros Experience seems to be the proof in the pudding.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes and FTR, I'm a big fan of FargoRate. I think you guys are doing a great job bringing statistics to pool in a way that's easy to understand.

Thanks Jude. Was at the base of the queensborough bridge yesterday watching the runners enter Manhattan. Would have been nice to stop by Steinway... Oh well.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Meh, it always comes down to the same thing, and this year is no different.

Who's got the better uniforms?

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Meh, it always comes down to the same thing, and this year is no different.

Who's got the better uniforms?

Definitely USA. Check out these bad boys, which I will be purchasing and wearing in attendance of course.

Attachments

• 12052408_10153580825005115_3761838831350168215_o.jpg
    12052408_10153580825005115_3761838831350168215_o.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 293

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As is the case every year, Team Europe consists of players that play the full WPA schedule and Team USA has just one in Van Boening. On the bright side, Dechaine went to the WPA World 9-ball Championships and came tied for ninth, but that was his only WPA event.

Fargo rating does nothing to reflect the fact that Europeans routinely compete against the most elite competition in the world while Americans rarely do. Year after year, of late, this is the difference in competitive pedigree.

Concur with the poster that said "ratings, schmatings." Darn right!

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Fargo rating does nothing to reflect the fact that Europeans routinely compete against the most elite competition in the world while Americans rarely do. Year after year, of late, this is the difference in competitive pedigree.

Well said, but please don't wake'em up. Let them live the dream until they get yet another beating that Fargo couldn't foresee. Prisoners of highly questionable ratings, meh...

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As is the case every year, Team Europe consists of players that play the full WPA schedule and Team USA has just one in Van Boening. On the bright side, Dechaine went to the WPA World 9-ball Championships and came tied for ninth, but that was his only WPA event.

I still think it will be interesting to now have a statistical evaluation of each player. Yes, if history is any indication of future performance, Europe is favored but I still enjoy having something more than a hunch.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still think it will be interesting to now have a statistical evaluation of each player. Yes, if history is any indication of future performance, Europe is favored but I still enjoy having something more than a hunch.

Here are the latest ratings. The teams are very close. All players are in the top 65 or so in the world.

Attachments

• mosconicup.jpg
    mosconicup.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 128