"99 Critical Shots in Pool" How many Mistakes

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i corrected my original post
if the frozen balls were perpendicular to the rail it would have been correct
here is bob jewett explaining the two ball fuller system
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...t&docid=608022068955319331&mid=2BEB7691A27037

pj
i had forgotten the off angle correction
thanks
I can't tell for sure, but you might not quite get it yet, Larry (correct me if I'm wrong).

Bisecting the right angle line (not the angle) is the method whether or not the frozen balls are pointed directly at the rail next to the target pocket - that just makes the measurement easier (because the right angle line is the rail).

I don't believe the correct aim line ever bisects the angle (geometrically impossible).

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don't believe the correct aim line ever bisects the angle (geometrically impossible)....
When the cue ball and frozen ball point near the actual object ball (within 20-30 degrees?), bisecting the angle is close enough.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
When the cue ball and frozen ball point near the actual object ball (within 20-30 degrees?), bisecting the angle is close enough.

That must be the case in PJ's diagram because if the nine ball was in the upper left corner, there is no way to form a 90 degree angle between the frozen ball and the rail.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't tell for sure, but you might not quite get it yet, Larry (correct me if I'm wrong).

Bisecting the right angle line (not the angle) is the method whether or not the frozen balls are pointed directly at the rail next to the target pocket - that just makes the measurement easier (because the right angle line is the rail).

I don't believe the correct aim line ever bisects the angle (geometrically impossible).

pj
chgo

pj
i get it now
thanks again

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made a shot just like this on Jimmy Fusco during the last Stardust tourney (One Pocket division), and went on to win the match. It's described in detail in Shot's Moves and Strategy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool shot, but can you shoot it without getting called for a foul? I doubt it.
Most people now play that as a legal shot if the cue ball is frozen to the object ball. There may be some leagues and tournaments that require you to do something nonsensical, like jack up 45 degrees, if you shoot it, but you can still shoot it.

Local and bar rules are different, of course. What rule set do you play by usually?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made a shot just like this on Jimmy Fusco during the last Stardust tourney (One Pocket division), and went on to win the match. It's described in detail in Shot's Moves and Strategy.
Was there some amount of screaming and teeth gnashing? Here's the shot. "I got lucky," is the right comment.
Misc 001.jpg

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...if the nine ball was in the upper left corner, there is no way to form a 90 degree angle between the frozen ball and the rail.
Shooting at the upper left corner illustrates a couple of things about the Two Times Fuller method:

1. Like Bob says, the smaller the angle the closer the midpoint of the right angle line gets to bisecting the angle.

2. Sometimes you have to visualize the right angle line out in space beyond the table's edge (so bisecting the angle might be easier).

pj
chgo

Attachments

• Blank.jpg
    Blank.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 303

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shooting at the upper left corner illustrates a couple of things about the Two Times Fuller method:

1. Like Bob says, the smaller the angle the closer the midpoint of the right angle line gets to bisecting the angle.

2. Sometimes you have to visualize the right angle line out in space beyond the table's edge (so bisecting the angle might be easier).

pj
chgo

Excellent post. One can see that it splits the angle on 20-30 degree shots. Thanks! Now if you know the book, can you think of other mistakes?

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
over the years I have greatly benefited from the book"99Critical shots"

I even remember setting this shot up and making it a time or two,but
I forgot the shot like i tend to do,but the book is by far my favorite book
on pool.
i have had many good players tell me the same thing,some even say it was the only book they really enjoyed on pool

George Fels book was also helpful to me,as is Tom Wirth's book on one pocket.

I seem to be confused here on this post,I am not sure that the problem is not with Ray martin's shot,but our perception of what he is saying

Jay have you put this shot to the test,I may be wrong but I think the shot works
as described.

Best wishes to Ray Martin with his lessons,the good thing about lessons,Ray would either make the shot and show you how or you would know right away

I saw ray play straight pool on a video and he actually makes plenty of these shots,never a dull moment,I think he is a genius on a pool table

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
over the years I have greatly benefited from the book"99Critical shots"

George Fels book was also helpful to me,as is Tom Wirth's book on one pocket.

99 Critical.....These are practical shots that repeatedly come up. Great book...well done.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Excellent post. One can see that it splits the angle on 20-30 degree shots.
Technically speaking it never quite splits the angle, but it comes very close on the smaller angles, as you can see.
Thanks! Now if you know the book, can you think of other mistakes?
Only know what I've seen here, but there are lots of instances of pros thinking unrealistically (Mike Sigel famously didn't believe throw exists). Don't believe their "science" just because they're pros - check it out yourself.

pj
chgo

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got through making this shot the way he showed
I made it three times
i tried it at a bigger angle and missed
figrued it was me

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I made it three times
figrued it was me
I think you must have set it up a little wrong. I tried it several times and always hit the long rail almost a half diamond above the pocket (where Bob's system predicts).

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made it three times
figrued it was me

Yeah.

I set it up yesterday on a 9' Diamond and made it three successive tries right off the bat. Maybe it ain't a mistake?

Lou Figueroa
just sayin'

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you must have set it up a little wrong. I tried it several times and always hit the long rail almost a half diamond above the pocket (where Bob's system predicts).

pj
chgo

Two things:

I set it up while looking at this thread on my phone so I got the setup right. And, I am playing with a brand new set of balls with a matched CB, which I think is especially important on this shot. If you have substituted a RC or MCB to the set you're playing with, or the OBs and CB aren't matched, or one or the other is worn down from use you may get a different result.

Lou Figueroa