simonis cloth ?

acidneo895

Registered
I have a 8' AMF playmaster for going on 6 years. I just haad it recovered january 2011. I really would like simonis on it but the company that does the recovers around here says that they wouldnt recommend the cloth since I have a table without a backed slate. what should I do? The felt I have currently is still in good condition just it played really slow compared to simonis. While this felt is good practice for local stuff since there are only 2 tables in town with simonis. When I go out of town and play on stuff that is slicker I find myself having to adjust for a few hours. Not to mention this stuff seems to wear much quicker. Any advise would be great.
Thank you,
Richard

msubilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had an 8' AMF Playmaster Hanover installed on Tuesday with Tournament Blue Simonis 860. It has 3/4" unbacked 3 piece slate and it turned out just fine. This is from the Simonis website:

Note for Glue-Down Installations

Simonis cloth can be glued, but only with certain adhesives. Most spray adhesives, WILL NOT hold the cloth in a edge-glue application.

We recommend 3M Fast-Bond10™ for edge-glue glue-down installations. Currently, we are not aware of any other adhesives that will give proper adhesion for a straight edge-glue install.

Jim Vondrell

Accu-Level Billiard Svc
Silver Member
What you should do is find someone to do it! Simonis can be installed very well on unbacked slate. Where are you located?

Dartman

Silver Member
... the company that does the recovers around here says that they wouldnt recommend the cloth since I have a table without a backed slate. what should I do? ...
Translation: we're not very good at installing Simonis cloth :rolleyes:

3M-10 is the glue to use.
Suggest you try contacting Shane (cuephoric) by PM. He works around
your part of the country and will do the job right.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
slate

Why don't you put a frame on the bottom of the slate?

I framed my slate with 1 X 6 poplar from Lowes. Cut it to fit and glue it on with 3M contact adhesive. Drill the holes for the slate bolts and you are done.

You can't notice the 3/4 in height increase. The table plays much quieter.

Now I staple on the cloth and can stretch it much tighter.

Kim

Dartman

Silver Member
Why don't you put a frame on the bottom of the slate? ...

That's a good suggestion but really not necessary unless there's a passion for stapling.
Consider that with glue you get 100% cloth to slate contact/adhesion as well as it being an easier and better cloth stretch with 2 hands vs. 1 with stapling. Not knocking stapling but since trying 3M-10 several years back I doubt I'd ever go back to staples. JMO

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
Why don't you put a frame on the bottom of the slate?

I framed my slate with 1 X 6 poplar from Lowes. Cut it to fit and glue it on with 3M contact adhesive. Drill the holes for the slate bolts and you are done.

You can't notice the 3/4 in height increase. The table plays much quieter.

Now I staple on the cloth and can stretch it much tighter.

Kim

That seems like a whole lot of extra work to get the job done. Depending on the level of the floor, that 3/4" might take your playing surface height out of spec. Chances are you'll have to replace your rail bolts as they won't be long enough to go through the extra 3/4". That's a lot of cutting, gluing and drilling that, although isn't hard, you need the right tools to do a good job. Besides, if you have the 3M-10 to glue the backing on, why not just use it to glue the cloth on?!? You can get the cloth stretched on just as tight and more evenly with the glue as you can with staples. I didn't believe it either until I saw it and tried it. The only advantage to adding a backing to a table designed for unbacked slate is that it will play a bit quieter.

The guy that didn't recommend Simonis on an unbacked table said that because he doesn't know how to properly install Simonis and isn't able to get it to stick. Simonis CAN be installed using 3M Super-77 spray glue if you know what you're doing, but 3M-10 works perfectly for installing it. Get a mechanic that knows how to work with Simonis, and you'll be just fine on that table.

acidneo895

Registered
In simple words finds someone that has done it and will do it here... Might be tough but then again I have awhile to look around.. Im hoping now that i am going to lawton more often I can find someone there that may be able to do it. Otherwise I'd be looking at having to get someone from dallas or okc.