REVO $1399 cue

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Most people will play better with a cue/shaft that they are used to playing with.

I can pretty much play with any cue/shaft after about 15 minutes of play. To play at the highest level I am capable of, I need a few weeks or experience with the cue. Some cues/shafts have idiosyncrasies that I appreciate more than others.

I wouldn't mind playing with one of the Predator P3 without a wrap for a month or two just to compare it to other LD cues.

JoeyA

I think what actually requires the greatest adjustment with this cue, is the color of the shaft. The playability is not that different from other cues, but the color of the cue shaft is actually a surprisingly big deal to some people.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I love it.

L1xKnCV.png

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw someone selling a Revo shaft for $300, I was a bit taken back at that.

Considering that Predator are bumping the price by $400 to have a revo shaft instead of a 3rd gen 314 or Z, then $300 is a crazy low price if you want to try out this shaft.

I know a guy who HATES predator shafts and has made a lot of noise about them over the years as being utter shite. He is creaming himself over the Revo. I will certainly try one, but happy to wait until they are available as a standalone product.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I disagree. Do you think that Shane could play nearly as well with a house cue off the wall as he plays with his R360 cue? Some house cues hit very well in my opinion (like the old Valley Supreme house cues), but most hit like crap (in my opinion), and have horrible tapers on the shafts, along with horrible tips, or even worse, slip on tips. I think you went too far when you made the comment about house cues.

Most cues have their own unique hit to them. You just have to find what you like, and when you do (or if you ever do), then do not let it go (or you may not ever find it again).

I would never buy a Predator cue, unless it is one of the older 1st gen ones, that came with the pre cat 314 shafts (those shafts hit amazing). I never liked any of the shafts that Predator made after the original pre cat 314. The Z shaft is the worst shaft that I have ever hit with. I could not make a ball with that thing. It was horrible. The guy I sold it too (from Taiwan) loved it though. I guess that a lot of players just love the super low deflection LD shafts.

I think a pro or a shortstop or pretty much any strong player will play about the same with whatever you put in his hands. The cue doesn't aim, it doesn't spin the ball for you, and it doesn't choose patterns for you, it only does what the player makes it do. Of course deflection will be different with different cues but a strong player should be able to adjust after a couple hours or so of practicing with a cue. I think most players use the cue they have because of the hit or the feel of the cue, just a preference.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw someone selling a Revo shaft for $300, I was a bit taken back at that. But it looks like you can't get them unless it's with a full cue. Still, $300 for a Cuetec shaft is a bit much ;):cool::eek:

If anyone sees a Revo shaft for sale for around $300, please let me know. For that price, I'd like to get one and play around with it. Thanks

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I got to try the P3 model. My impression was "meh". Don't get me wrong, it was ok, but you have to take the price into consideration. For 400 it would have been a good buy, still it wouldn't be mindblowing. I might have bought it myself for 500, just because it's different and interesting, not so much for the playing qualities. There are better playing cues out there (IMO).

The guy who's cue I tried sold it shortly after.

All you hear on this forum are rave reviews, but a lot of people tried that cue and were pretty unimpressed. A couple claimed they could draw the ball better with it. I couldn't really say...If it was true, I didn't notice it. Maybe it would grow on you after a while. Nobody I know are rushing to buy one after trying.

Most players can already draw the cue ball adequately, that certainly would not sway my decision one way or the other. I can pick up a cue and tell in 2 or 3 hits of the cue ball whether I like the feel of a cue to invest anymore time finding out how it plays. I like a cue to have a certain feedback, if it doesn't the cue does not interest me. One place I frequent has a fiberglass (I think) house cue with a blue shark on it, I was trying to find out the manufacturer because I wanted to buy one and have a joint installed, from what I was told its an out of production Chinese cue Its just one of those cues that you hit and it instantly feels very nice to the particular player. I cant even offer to buy that house that I like because its so ugly, Im not sure what happened to it but it appears that the top 1/3 of the cue was laying in ink or something, its hideous!!!:eek::eek::eek:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As everyone knows ... hit, feel, value, etc are all subjective.

Here's my take... I played with Pre Cat 314's for many years and loved them. The two I have left are getting old so I bought 314-2's and had them made up with rings to match my two playing cues. Well, that was huge mistake as they don't play anywhere near the old 314's.

So a little while later a buddy got a Revo to test and I got to hit with it. I was instantly in love with it. It hit exactly like my old 314's and I loved the way it felt. There was no adjustment period at all.

I was then waiting for a lower priced cue to come out with the Revo shaft. I was hugely disappointed with the new ones... ugly as sin. So I stepped up and bought he wrapless P3. I have not played much lately as I bought a house and moved (just got my table set up).

My overall impression of the Revo is that it works for me and I absolutely love it. It may not work for you. The key is finding a cue / shaft that you love and stick with it.

Happy Tuesday everyone!!!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Predator could have done a better job with the designs for sure.

I would like to try one. One day when they decide to sell just the shafts, I will buy one. I think the butts have the quick connect cue extension feature built into them which I like as well but I just have a hard time liking the design of the lower cost model.

Contrary to others, I don't mind the shaft being charcoal black. I play with an orange/yellow playing shaft and a dark purple break cue. Although I am not color blind, colors just don't influence me one way or the other. The gaudiness of the base model is what bothers me the most but I could probably get used to that too. lol

JoeyA

A friend of mine purchased both a P3 and an R1, both with a REVO shaft. I agree the R1 and R2 both look weird and spiteful in their design. As if Predator is intentionally punishing people for not spending enough money to get access to their new shaft. It's embarrassing for a company to release something like this IMO. I mean Ford never lived down the Pinto or Maverick... and never will. Same applies here with this set of cues.

The P3 version is nicer, but seems piecemeal and tossed together. The overall design is muted and less of an eyesore. The hit on both cues is solid and I like it, but the design and execution of the R series is a screaming shame.

Regards,
Lesh

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
I think a pro or a shortstop or pretty much any strong player will play about the same with whatever you put in his hands. The cue doesn't aim, it doesn't spin the ball for you, and it doesn't choose patterns for you, it only does what the player makes it do. Of course deflection will be different with different cues but a strong player should be able to adjust after a couple hours or so of practicing with a cue. I think most players use the cue they have because of the hit or the feel of the cue, just a preference.

I agree 100% percent. People get used to using there special cue and when they don't have it, it's just an excuse to lose. They think they are crippled or something. I don't know how you would rank Jack Hines next to Shane or the others, but I never saw him once use his own cue. Just pick one off the wall and run the set on your monkey ass like it was nothing. I personally saw Joey Gray offer a guy 7 ball, and then told him he could go pick the most warped, jacked up stick he could find and Joey would play with it. Guy turned him down.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most cues have their own unique hit to them. You just have to find what you like, and when you do (or if you ever do), then do not let it go (or you may not ever find it again).

I hope the irony of this statement is not lost on you.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator could have done a better job with the designs for sure.

I would like to try one. One day when they decide to sell just the shafts, I will buy one. I think the butts have the quick connect cue extension feature built into them which I like as well but I just have a hard time liking the design of the lower cost model.

Contrary to others, I don't mind the shaft being charcoal black. I play with an orange/yellow playing shaft and a dark purple break cue. Although I am not color blind, colors just don't influence me one way or the other. The gaudiness of the base model is what bothers me the most but I could probably get used to that too. lol

JoeyA

Bingo... the black shaft doesn't bother me at all and I also have the weight bold kit and extension which is great! I will buy another shaft when sold separately and I also hate the design and colors of the base model. A nice butt like the Roadline with the black forearm and black Revo shaft would be nice.!!

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Joey, A friend of mine who I consider to be a short stop caliber player and a serious student of the game for at least 30 years loves his
Revo P3. He bought it in Vegas at the APA Masters finals.
I gave him a few months and then quizzed him on the Revo. He says he will never go back to a conventional cue. He truly and absolutely believes the Revo is superior technology. That is his opinion as stated to me.
I consider his word to be solid as I have known him for 30 years and in the 80's when i was cashing in most tournaments i would typically meet him somewhere in the top 1/3rd of the field if not earlier via happenstance.
It's a sharp looking cue in my opinion. It's not laden with inlays or anything but the wood, fit and finish is beautiful and flawless. To me it has a simple and elegant design. I like it.
So from one old dog to another I say thumbs up. My two cents.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

JoeyA

Silver Member
Thanks!
JoeyA

Joey, A friend of mine who I consider to be a short stop caliber player and a serious student of the game for at least 30 years loves his
Revo P3. He bought it in Vegas at the APA Masters finals.
I gave him a few months and then quizzed him on the Revo. He says he will never go back to a conventional cue. He truly and absolutely believes the Revo is superior technology. That is his opinion as stated to me.
I consider his word to be solid as I have known him for 30 years and in the 80's when i was cashing in most tournaments i would typically meet him somewhere in the top 1/3rd of the field if not earlier via happenstance.
It's a sharp looking cue in my opinion. It's not laden with inlays or anything but the wood, fit and finish is beautiful and flawless. To me it has a simple and elegant design. I like it.
So from one old dog to another I say thumbs up. My two cents.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

JoeyA

Silver Member
The wrapless P3 is more visually appealing but it isn't great either. I could live with a very plain jane butt with the technology intact.

JoeyA

As everyone knows ... hit, feel, value, etc are all subjective.

Here's my take... I played with Pre Cat 314's for many years and loved them. The two I have left are getting old so I bought 314-2's and had them made up with rings to match my two playing cues. Well, that was huge mistake as they don't play anywhere near the old 314's.

So a little while later a buddy got a Revo to test and I got to hit with it. I was instantly in love with it. It hit exactly like my old 314's and I loved the way it felt. There was no adjustment period at all.

I was then waiting for a lower priced cue to come out with the Revo shaft. I was hugely disappointed with the new ones... ugly as sin. So I stepped up and bought he wrapless P3. I have not played much lately as I bought a house and moved (just got my table set up).

My overall impression of the Revo is that it works for me and I absolutely love it. It may not work for you. The key is finding a cue / shaft that you love and stick with it.

Happy Tuesday everyone!!!

JoeyA

Silver Member
I'm sure the dealer has a few left @$1300 a pop. You just need to let the moths out of your wallet and purchase one. :):)...Johnnyt

Johnnyt, I have to stay on the front porch as I can't run with you big dogs.

JoeyA

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA ... another unexpected plus is that I am a powder addict as my hands sweat a little and with the Revo, I use very little if no powder now!!

Jawzcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA ... another unexpected plus is that I am a powder addict as my hands sweat a little and with the Revo, I use very little if no powder now!!

Hey guy, I have a revo too and was interested in the same thing before I bought mine. I called up to Predator and asked about this very thing and they let me know you shouldn't use any powder at all on the Revo. Just thought I would share so you don't mess anything up. I know I would be upset if mine got messed up.

If you look on their website it reads:

REVO SHAFT FINISH MAINTENANCE. REVO carbon composite shafts should never be sanded or modified. Sanding the surface of the REVO shaft will damage the exterior finish and weaken the shaft’s structural integrity and release potentially harmful materials that could affect your health. Any sanding, polishing, or treatment of the surface of the shaft with chemicals or abrasives of any kind will void the shaft’s limited-lifetime warranty and negatively affect the shaft’s longevity and performance. Never use talcum powder, baby powder, hand chalk, or other shaft treatments on a REVO carbon fiber composite shaft.