Tad Kohara cue line up

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Stunning designs, classic Tad.

There's one other thing I've always admired about Tads, which these show. The linen. I'm not sure where I've seen better attention to the fit and finish of the linen. Seamless, all the way from forearm to the buttsleeve. Great cues.

All the best,
WW

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Stunning designs, classic Tad.

There's one other thing I've always admired about Tads, which these show. The linen. I'm not sure where I've seen better attention to the fit and finish of the linen. Seamless, all the way from forearm to the buttsleeve. Great cues.

All the best,
WW

Agreed...They do it right. Others too but yes I was going to say the same thing. It's not as easy as it looks. Knowledge plays a huge role as well as execution. The Kohara's have both in spades.

With any maker, chances are the attention to detail on the outside mirrors whats on the inside.

Beautiful cues!!

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
HighEndCues, High end cues for sure. The ebony ones are very special...Tad limits the amount of those going out of the shop.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a few comments.

I find the finish on Tad cues among the worst. On the brand new player Tad I had I loved playing with it and the shafts were incredible, but the the lacquer finish flaked off pretty quickly and in speaking with others it was pretty common problem. I sent it to another cuemaker to put his finish on it and kept the cue at least a couple years.

The other question I had that there seems to be no differences in Tad cues in who made them, I was under the impression that Tad no longer makes cues, but his son Fred continues. But I see no notes on differences or do I see a difference in pricing.

Take a Gus Szamboti and a Barry Szamboti for example. There are differences in pricing and desirability. I have heard that Gus made a significant more cues than Barry has, but at least in most circles Gus cues carry a premium and are more desirable.

Just some observations. Feel free to correct my errors.

Ken

Last edited:
Beautiful as TAD’s generally are. Never played a floating point cue but am curious how they play.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love

Love them all but the Ebony pair are very special. I always loved Kohara wraps and this is a great example of his work.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is the most amazing collection of fancy tads i have seen
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just a few comments.

I find the finish on Tad cues among the worst. On the brand new player Tad I had I loved playing with it and the shafts were incredible, but the the lacquer finish flaked off pretty quickly and in speaking with others it was pretty common problem. I sent it to another cuemaker to put his finish on it and kept the cue at least a couple years.

The other question I had that there seems to be no differences in Tad cues in who made them, I was under the impression that Tad no longer makes cues, but his son Fred continues. But I see no notes on differences or do I see a difference in pricing.

Take a Gus Szamboti and a Barry Szamboti for example. There are differences in pricing and desirability. I have heard that Gus made a significant more cues than Barry has, but at least in most circles Gus cues carry a premium and are more desirable.

Just some observations. Feel free to correct my errors.

Ken

Ken,

You are correct on your observation on finish. It has a tendency to flake or wear off on the non-wood surfaces. However from what I have seen the newer cues hold up better in the finish department. Tad, passed away several years ago. Since that time his son Fred has been making the cues and I have not noticed any issues regarding how the cues look or play in comparison to Tad. The prices however keep going up. On a TAD-1 for instance they go up about $200 per year. That basic player cue is now going for about $2700.00. They are difficult to get a hold of. A majority of these cues go directly to Asia. A hand full stay here in the states. Nobody knows how long Fred will continue making cues. Therefore it’s a mystery and keeps the prices inflated. I just take the posture of get them while you can.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums