Appletons shaft

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
I'm watching the world 14.1 championships and I've observed that Darren has the dirtiest shaft I think I've ever seen.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I'm watching the world 14.1 championships and I've observed that Darren has the dirtiest shaft I think I've ever seen.

Lol yeah I agree, I was there live yesterday watching him play the Iceman and I observed that as well. I think it's beyond the point of cleaning. But that didn't stop me from getting a signature and picture with him :D Maybe the blackness of the shaft helps him aim better? :confused:

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Must be stained with all the dirt n chalk from back to back Us Open, World champion 9 & 10 ball and Mosconi cup lol

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's switched out the butt of his cue several times but always plays with the same shaft. I think he found "the one"

darren-appleton-141.jpg

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm,maybe if I concentrated more on playing pool than babying my cues I might play a little better !!! LOL

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It not uncommon amongst pros to not want their shafts cleaned. Natural hand oils and
Chalk fill the pores of the wood and give a coating that is super smooth....some pros ( Thorsten Hohmann in particular ) when they get a new shaft have a cuemaker or repair guy actually Rub chalk into the new shaft because the like the feel and look.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol..I was thinking..how many of us have perfectly shiny shafts...pristine ferrules..perfectly shaped tips..and can't run a rack. And that was aimed primarily inward.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
There was a TAR interview with Appleton and Van Boening in which JCIN asked how often they replaced their tip. I forget the answer to the question, but both of them were emphatic that they tell the repairman NOT to clean the shaft.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps he's used graphite powder at some point as a lubricant. I've tried it... works very well, but stains the shaft.