American 14.1.................

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
I may have a little more to say about this later (can't do it now).

By the way, are you going to Alex's HOF induction this coming week? Are you speaking?
Yes...and yes

Will that be streamed? Accustats? some dude with a phone?

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Among the elite of this generation, yes. He is not, however, to be counted among the all-time greats by anyone who is not delusional.

In competition, many of John's contemporaries have greatly outshined him, the most obvious being Hohmann, Feijen, Appleton, Ortmann, Engert, and Souquet, all of whom have many straight pool titles and have often prevailed against super-elite straight pool fields. John's name belongs in the next few straight poolers of this generation, perhaps along with an Immonen.

John's run of 626 was a truly amazing and historic achievement. I'm happy for John for his accomplishment and hope he makes a whole lot of money as he markets and sells the video. He deserves it.

Contrary to your suggestion, though, the delusional are those who feel that one historic run erases a very mediocre track record in straight pool competition over many years.

No need to make excuses for those, like John, who so rarely prevail in the biggest spots. Greatness in straight pool is measured in straight pool titles. Always has been, always will be.

Contrary? Contrary to what? I never have nor will I ever say that anyone is an elite anything because of "one" good run.

What are we suppose to call multiple 300+, 400+ and a 600+ run? Mediocre?

I never said John is on the list of the "all-time" greats at "competition".

However, his high run says he is on the least of the greats as far as most balls run during exhibitions.

As a matter of fact, he is at the top of the list of "all" 14.1 players in exhibition "with proof" until someone digs deep enough to beat 626 "with proof". Even then, he would still be second on the list but we'll have to wait a good long time for that to happen. Then again, we may not live to see it.

Jeff

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Contrary? Contrary to what? I never have nor will I ever say that anyone is an elite anything because of "one" good run.

What are we suppose to call multiple 300+, 400+ and a 600+ run? Mediocre?

I never said John is on the list of the "all-time" greats at "competition".

However, his high run says he is on the least of the greats as far as most balls run during exhibitions.

As a matter of fact, he is at the top of the list of "all" 14.1 players in exhibition "with proof" until someone digs deep enough to beat 626 "with proof". Even then, he would still be second on the list but we'll have to wait a good long time for that to happen. Then again, we may not live to see it.

Jeff

If we're talking about who is the all-time king of the practice table, or if your prefer exhibition table, at first glance it comes down to Willie Mosconi, Babe Cranfield and John Schmidt. I'd have to put John at number one, though, just because of how much of his time he dedicated to it and, as you note, how prolific he has ben in producing high runs in practice.

Perhaps we're on the same page after all.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for those who steamed this. With DCC 14.1 event now gone this is the biggest event in the world.

I watched a lot of it. Fantastic.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for those who steamed this. With DCC 14.1 event now gone this is the biggest event in the world.

I watched a lot of it. Fantastic.
Still have the World event being played in Florida this year. Field won't be quite as strong as this one but its still a good event.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it was in fact, a clean wide open hit he took absolutely no time in looking at.

He took more time than his average on it- 50 seconds or so. But my bad, i didnt have the sound on and i thought afterward he was shooting at the ball that was heading straight for the corner pocket but stopped short. lol

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I may have a little more to say about this later (can't do it now). ...

Here's what I didn't explain yesterday about the Pagulalyan/Teutscher match -- there was another scoring error, a significant one.

When Alex shot that combo for what he thought was his 150th point, for the win, he was actually at 148, not 149. Yes, he shot it recklessly and scratched, a grave error. But if the score had been correct, needing 2 rather than 1, I imagine he would have been more careful and would have had no trouble getting the 2.

The scoring error seemed to occur during the second rack of his 86 ball run. The score on screen went from 76 (which was correct) at the start of the rack to 91 at the end (should have been 90). That extra point then continued through the rest of the game. Presumably, the scoring system scorer was matching the screen score to whatever the players put up as the score. So I imagine the error was by the players.

The players are responsible for the match score. If they agree to a score, it becomes "correct," regardless of what actually happened. But it would sure be nice to have a knowledgeable, official scorer working important games like these.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"A clean wide open hit" on these Diamonds? Damn you must be good :rolleyes:

Might have exaggerated a bit, but the point remains. Ruslan could have made the 8 ball. He way over stroked the cue ball, and missed the shot as such. He was almost guaranteed position on the 1 afterwards with a slow inside shot to help throw the 8 into the pocket.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might have exaggerated a bit, but the point remains. Ruslan could have made the 8 ball. He way over stroked the cue ball, and missed the shot as such. He was almost guaranteed position on the 1 afterwards with a slow inside shot to help throw the 8 into the pocket.

Ever stop to think that since the guy that played lights out to win the event missed the shot, that perhaps it wasn't as easy as you make it out to be?

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever stop to think that since the guy that played lights out to win the event missed the shot, that perhaps it wasn't as easy as you make it out to be?

Perhaps. But he still physically approached that shot differently than all his previous, and after shots. He stroked it differently. He was agitated from not getting a clear easy shot like all the rest had been. No he didn’t just miss some tough shot. He mentally broke himself for that one shot.

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
Perhaps. But he still physically approached that shot differently than all his previous, and after shots. He stroked it differently. He was agitated from not getting a clear easy shot like all the rest had been. No he didn’t just miss some tough shot. He mentally broke himself for that one shot.

That's exactly what happened. I was 15' from the table and my first thought was after he addressed the ball he took a quick jab at the shot and popped his body up in mid stroke.
Albin played world class straight pool all week, one brain fart does not preclude that fact.
He was as enjoyable to watch as was Ruslan, they both played 14.1 as well as it could be played.
Watching this tournament in person was a treat for a 14.1 fanatic such as my self.
Also had the priviledge to commentate 3 of the matches, that was cool.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It always amazed me why some people find more fun in seeing even single imperfection in almost a perfect performance rather than enjoying somebody's excellent performance and giving some credit to a player who definitely deserves it:confused:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It always amazed me why some people find more fun in seeing even single imperfection in almost a perfect performance rather than enjoying somebody's excellent performance and giving some credit to a player who definitely deserves it:confused:

I don’t disagree with this at all....the shot was missable...and Ruslan rarely missed.
If we all had a dollar for every time we missed a shot like that.....
...Bill Gates would be our gardener.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t disagree with this at all....the shot was missable...and Ruslan rarely missed.
If we all had a dollar for every time we missed a shot like that.....
...Bill Gates would be our gardener.

He was my gardener until I caught him using a GoTo inside a SubR.

Don't you just hate it when they do that?

Jeff