ULTRA RARE 81' Custom Schon

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Here is a very special Schon. The cue was made in 1981 and was told to be one of only 3 or 4 custom "S/R-14's", all different, that Bob Runde made after the decision was made to include this model in the R series line catalog they released in 82'. This one I believe is the only one of those with the very rare true Implex flat faced joint... This cue is definitely a "survivor" and is currently being restored..... Can't wait to get her back. :)

Last edited:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like quite a find. Gotta admire Runde's precision.

The first guy to show me a Schon 4 point cue in early 1983 was Joe Salazar. It was his new shooter that he brought to the Tuesday night tournament at the Billiard Tavern in San Diego. Martin

buzzmc

Balance
Silver Member
Sweetness.

Is there controversy over implex in general, or just within schon cues?

I ask because I have a JW with an implex joint, or so I was told.

finsterle2003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Cue .. i love the Stich
rings :) ... my r12 refinish by Evan ..he will do a great Job

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406700708.825768.jpg

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Looks like quite a find. Gotta admire Runde's precision.

The first guy to show me a Schon 4 point cue in early 1983 was Joe Salazar. It was his new shooter that he brought to the Tuesday night tournament at the Billiard Tavern in San Diego. Martin

I saw my first in early 82... It was Dallas West's cue.. Then about a month later I ordered an R-14 and loved them ever since..

Funny how you mention Bob's "precision" because the sleeve of this cue is a few degrees off center from lining up with the forearm and Evan told me he has seen many cues like this. It was from the indexer being off a bit... When I talked to Evan about it I asked if we should replace the handle so we can line the sleeve back up and he, very adamantly, said NO and to leave it original.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Sweetness.

Is there controversy over implex in general, or just within schon cues?

I ask because I have a JW with an implex joint, or so I was told.

No controversy as far as I know.. I assume Bob and Terry thought stainless was a better fit/look/feel for their cues...

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Restoration Finished!

OK, here is the cue with the restoration complete....One of the rarest Schon's out there.....

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Refinished this thing looks awesome. Congrats. This is hands down the coolest Schon in my personal opinion. Good for you and enjoy! Matt D.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I shot with a early one of box type Cue.

Played great. Fell apart. It's funny really because the owner of the poolroom later would throw his Schon like a spear and never hurt the thing. He took every miss out on that poor Cue. Never busted it. The one I was shooting with just exploded to pieces.
You have a old school beauty there.
Nick

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post Nick/fellas...hoping to score a cool vintage Schon at the SBE this year (among other cues).:thumbup:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
One of the nicest Schons I've ever seen. With that joint and simple but elegant inlays, this reminds me of the old cue styles of Dan Janes, Bill Stroud, and Tim Scruggs when they made Joss cues. If I'm not mistaken, those are nice old micarta ferrules also. That's one cue I'd be proud to own, old school.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have a Runde implex joint pre Schon cue with stitch rings sold at Romines in 1979 by Terry to the original owner. Only cue I own that is priceless to me. My fancy 2014 Runde isn't likely to ever be sold, but the Pre Schon will never be sold.